BTX is is here

Old March 17th 04, 12:01 AM
Ed Forsythe

Default BTX is is here

Hi Troops,
Lian-Li has four new which look like the BTX form factor. They're going to
reveal them at CeBIT tomorrow. PS on the bottom, PCI (ex?)slots on the top
etc. Check them out here http://www.lian-li.com D**n and I just bought a
$220 Lian-Li PC-75 Wonder what ABIT is going to show?
--
Tally Ho!
Ed,

Old March 17th 04, 12:03 AM
Ed Forsythe

Should be "...four new cases..."
--
Tally Ho!
Ed,

Old March 17th 04, 02:02 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Ed Forsythe" wrote
Hi Troops,
Lian-Li has four new which look like the BTX form factor. They're going to
reveal them at CeBIT tomorrow. PS on the bottom, PCI (ex?)slots on the top
etc. Check them out here http://www.lian-li.com D**n and I just bought a
$220 Lian-Li PC-75 Wonder what ABIT is going to show?

Hi,
yeah they look nice. . . .makes me wonder?
--
Wayne ][
Concepts, Theory, Learning Curves, and woman with big bOObs!

Old March 17th 04, 04:55 PM

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:01:31 -0500, "Ed Forsythe"
wrote:

Hi Troops,
Lian-Li has four new which look like the BTX form factor. They're going to
reveal them at CeBIT tomorrow. PS on the bottom, PCI (ex?)slots on the top
etc. Check them out here http://www.lian-li.com D**n and I just bought a
$220 Lian-Li PC-75 Wonder what ABIT is going to show?

LOL

Power supply on the bottom ? Guess they want as much cooling as
possible for that overworked, underbuilt puppy.

P4, Rambus, Hyperthreading, Xeon bull****, Prescott, "who needs
64bit?", and now BTX ?

What happened to sane marketing and REAL engineering ?

Between Microsoft, Intel, Carnivores, and the Digital Rights
assholes, just how bad can computers get ?

If computers go the way of radio, I gues we're all headed for
transistorized AM stereo shock jock talk show hell.

Old March 18th 04, 12:07 AM
David Maynard

wrote:

Hi Troops,
Lian-Li has four new which look like the BTX form factor. They're going to
reveal them at CeBIT tomorrow. PS on the bottom, PCI (ex?)slots on the top
etc. Check them out here
http://www.lian-li.com D**n and I just bought a
$220 Lian-Li PC-75 Wonder what ABIT is going to show?

LOL

Power supply on the bottom ? Guess they want as much cooling as
possible for that overworked, underbuilt puppy.

P4, Rambus, Hyperthreading, Xeon bull****, Prescott, "who needs
64bit?", and now BTX ?

What happened to sane marketing and REAL engineering ?

Between Microsoft, Intel, Carnivores, and the Digital Rights
assholes, just how bad can computers get ?

If computers go the way of radio, I gues we're all headed for
transistorized AM stereo shock jock talk show hell.

How did you manage to miss the Internet?

Old March 18th 04, 01:56 AM
Ed Forsythe

How do you access NGs with your abacus?? ;-)
--
Tally Ho!
Ed,

Old March 18th 04, 02:54 AM
Angry American

Wayne Youngman wrote:
"Ed Forsythe" wrote
Hi Troops,
Lian-Li has four new which look like the BTX form factor. They're
going to reveal them at CeBIT tomorrow. PS on the bottom, PCI
(ex?)slots on the top etc. Check them out here
http://www.lian-li.com D**n and I just bought a $220 Lian-Li PC-75
Wonder what ABIT is going to show?

Hi,
yeah they look nice. . . .makes me wonder?

And listed as ATX boards, not BTX. BTX will have the fan in the middle of
the front, not at the bottom or top.

--
Dan

Old March 18th 04, 08:04 AM
David Maynard

Angry American wrote:
Wayne Youngman wrote:

"Ed Forsythe" wrote

Hi Troops,
Lian-Li has four new which look like the BTX form factor. They're
going to reveal them at CeBIT tomorrow. PS on the bottom, PCI
(ex?)slots on the top etc. Check them out here
http://www.lian-li.com D**n and I just bought a $220 Lian-Li PC-75
Wonder what ABIT is going to show?

Hi,
yeah they look nice. . . .makes me wonder?

And listed as ATX boards, not BTX. BTX will have the fan in the middle of
the front, not at the bottom or top.

Yeah. And there have been other ATX cases with the PSU on the bottom too.
Can't remember just which 'case store' it was but I was kinda interested in
a couple of them a year or so ago, but then my plans changed.

Not only that but I have an old "Compudyne" 486 AT Mini-Tower with the PSU
on the bottom, so it isn't a particularly 'new' idea. For this one the
inspiration seems to have been to have the CD and floppy drives at the
bottom for easier access when it was set on a desktop (as opposed to
placing it on the floor beside the desk).

Old March 18th 04, 01:26 PM
Ed Forsythe

Hmm, When I first accessed the site there was no reference to ATX in the
specs and the V1200 wasn't displayed. I saw the PCI slots on the top and
that is part of the BTX form factor. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that
the case opening had been changed from the left to the right making it
possible to use an ATX board in the new case. Changing the case access from
the left to the right is IMHO a *major* departure because it would require
many to redesign their entire computer room. Who would want their case
window to reside alongside the desk instead of being exposed for all to see.
Could this case be ATX/BTX compatible? Why would Lian-Li completely
redesign an ATX case that wouldn't be compatible with BTX? Doesn't make
sense to me so I'm still betting BTX. Time will tell - until then I
apologize for jumping the gun *if* I did ;-).

Old March 18th 04, 03:06 PM
David Maynard

Ed Forsythe wrote:
Hmm, When I first accessed the site there was no reference to ATX in the
specs and the V1200 wasn't displayed. I saw the PCI slots on the top and
that is part of the BTX form factor. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that
the case opening had been changed from the left to the right making it
possible to use an ATX board in the new case. Changing the case access from
the left to the right is IMHO a *major* departure because it would require
many to redesign their entire computer room. Who would want their case
window to reside alongside the desk instead of being exposed for all to see.
Could this case be ATX/BTX compatible? Why would Lian-Li completely
redesign an ATX case that wouldn't be compatible with BTX? Doesn't make
sense to me so I'm still betting BTX. Time will tell - until then I
apologize for jumping the gun *if* I did ;-).

Well, it's definitely not BTX. BTX, in the tower configuration, still shows
the PSU at the top. The 'big difference' with BTX is moving the processor
to the front of the motherboard, rather than it's current rearward
position, with an intake fan right there, about center, in front (front
panel I/O below it and Hard Drive, Floppy, CDs, etc. above it).

Their logic seems to be a split airflow design (including horizontal
separator plate). Intake fan feeds both the lower drive bays, with the
amount semi determined by the PSU fan draw (apparently a single fan PSU),
and the rest goes up and over the motherboard, from the rear exhaust fan
draw. If you put the PSU at the bottom like that then you need to flip the
mobo or else the PSU cable won't make it to the ATX power connector.