Compaq Deskpro EP

Old May 5th 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EP

Hi, I have a Compaq Deskpro EP/C466 with an Intel 810 chipset. It is a
Celeron 466MHz with 256MB RAM. I am looking on the net about upgrading
the processor to a Pentiun III but couldn't find anything. It is too
difficult because it is an "old" computer.

Can I put a Pentium III processor on it? What is the maximum speed, if
is the case of an upgrade?

Here are the information on the hardware (from PC Wizard 2006):

------------------------------
Processor : Intel Celeron
General Information
Type : Intel Celeron
Codename : Mendocino
Revision : mB0
Technology : 0.25µ
CPU ID : 6.6.5
Microcode : MU066503
Number of Core : 1

Advanced Settings
In Order Queue Depth : 8
Low Power Mode : Yes
L2 Cache Range : 4 GB
L2 Cache Latency : 5 clock(s)

Mainboard Upgradebility
Socket/Slot : XU1
Upgrade interface : Slot 1
Supported Speed : 1000 MHz (or more)
Supported Voltage : 2.0V

General Information
Real Frequency : 465.26 MHz
Multiplier : 7x
Multiplier Locked : Yes

Front Side Bus Information
FSB Frequency : 66.5 MHz
Bus Speed : 66.5 MHz

Initial Frequencies
Frequency : 466 MHz
FSB Frequency : 66 MHz
------------------------------

Could someone help me with that?

Thank you.

Old May 5th 06, 04:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

With a Slot 1 processor and motherboard support for 2.0v, the most certain CPU
upgrade is a 600MHz Slot 1 Pentium III with 100MHz FSB and 2.0v operating
voltage. There are slotkets, PowerLeap adapters and similar which would allow a
CPU upgrade with 100MHz FSB to somewhere around 1Ghz... Ben Myers

Old May 5th 06, 05:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Mainboard Upgradebility
Socket/Slot : XU1
Upgrade interface : Slot 1
Supported Speed : 1000 MHz (or more)
Supported Voltage : 2.0V

According to your software, it *should* be able to accept a 1Ghz CPU (either
a Slot1 Coppermine, or a Socket 370 CPU running on SLOT1/S370 adapter card)

Perhaps even a 1.4Ghz Tualatin Core P3. You might need a BIOS update in both
cases.

I recently upgraded an old P90 (single rail voltage) wich couldn't use
faster than P100 to a AMD k6-2 450 CPU. It came with a Powerleap adapter
(www.powerleap.com). Runs like a champ.

Have a look at http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.jsp

It will probably work, my IBM machine was not on the compatibility list for
my adapter yet it still works.

(Ebay is a good start to buy those adapters

On a side note, the CPU might not run at its optimal speed, since the FSB is
at 66MHZ on your machine.

--

(\_ _/)

m...

Old May 5th 06, 01:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

The 810 chipset supports 100MHz FSB. Not sure about 133MHz, though. The specs
on the Intel web site will explain.

The 810 and 810e (lower voltage CPUs) were Intel's low cost chips for P3 and
Celeron, and may have a limitation. The 815 was the high end chip for P3s and
Celerys. Both support a max of 512MB memory only... Ben Myers

Old May 5th 06, 02:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"Ben Myers" ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net wrote in message
The 810 chipset supports 100MHz FSB. Not sure about 133MHz, though. The
specs
on the Intel web site will explain.

I know, but I was thinking about the RAM, which probably doesn't

Old May 6th 06, 02:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

I decided to do the most reasonable thing, open my CPU and check what
is written on the processor and slot it self.

It is written on the slot "PGA370A". So it isn't a Slot 1 as
the PC Wizard said.

So do I have more options?

Thanks.

Old May 7th 06, 03:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Well, after all the research on the net, I came up with a conclusion.
The Intel 810 chipset is said to support 100MHz FSB. I heard a guy
that used a 133MHz FSB capable processor and it worked fine, the only
thing is that the BIOS was showing some strange message.

According to the Intel's website, I can use the PIII processors with
the CPU Speed from 600MHz to 1GHz, but only with a Bus Speed of
100MHz and 0.18 micron and a Package Type of 370 pin.

I'll try that processor then. The reason is that I's like to use this
PC with Linux to make a firewall or printer server, and that's why I
am looking so hard about "old" stuff.

Thank you very much for your help.

Old May 7th 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"fcga1976" wrote in message
m...

I'll try that processor then. The reason is that I's like to use this
PC with Linux to make a firewall or printer server, and that's why I
am looking so hard about "old" stuff.

In that case, no need to upgrade the CPU. a Firewall won't break a sweat
with that Celeron, Nor will a print server.

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 May 29th 05 07:18 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 06:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM