Presario 1230 Restore Cd, missing product key

Old December 2nd 03, 03:27 AM
jimbo

Default Presario 1230 Restore Cd, missing product key

Well I tried to restore my compaq presario 1230, but don't have the manual
with the product key. I bought this laptop from a friend since the screen
was bad. Come to find out that it was just a $40 cable..

I've tried dozens of product keys that I have from computers that I don't
need anymore. Does anyone know if the CD can only use 1 very specific
product key? Is there a way to extract a key from the CD? I'm not trying
to do anything illegal, just trying to use what I currently have.

thanks in advance..
jimbo505 (at) msn.com

---

Old December 2nd 03, 04:34 PM
Alinator

"Kevin Childers" wrote in message
Check the Registry. I forget where exactly, but the number is stored

there.

KC

"jimbo" wrote in message
om...
Well I tried to restore my compaq presario 1230, but don't have the

manual
with the product key. I bought this laptop from a friend since the

screen
was bad. Come to find out that it was just a $40 cable..

snip

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pro ductKey

Alinator

Old December 2nd 03, 07:48 PM
JIM HUNTER

Hi Alinator.

Looks like you might know the answer to my question. When I bought my old
notebook(a used Dell), it had Office 97 installed on it. It was bought
during the time that they were sending out vouchers for the Office 2000
upgrade. The original owner got the Office 2000 installation disks from
Dell(#1 for the install and #2 for the optional Publisher, Small Business
Tools, etc) and installed both. He could never find the disks themselves. I
do have the Office 97 disk.

I now want to install the Office suite on my new Compaq EVO n1015v notebook.
I have a friends copy of Office 2000(and the actual Office 97 disk) but
would you know where in the registry to find the 25 digit Product Key for
Office 2000?

I would appreciate any advice you(or any one else) would have for me.

Thanks

Jim

In article ,
says...

"Kevin Childers" wrote in message
Check the Registry. I forget where exactly, but the number is stored

there.

KC

om...

Old December 2nd 03, 11:57 PM
Alinator

"JIM HUNTER" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ah yes, been there, done that! ;-)

You can pull the product key for the installed version of Office by running
a Regedit search for "productkey". There may be several of them for other MS
components, so you may have to F3 a few times to find the right registry
key.

The problem here is the key you pull from the installed version of 2K on the
Dell won't help you to do an upgrade from your friends copy of Office, since
his CDs are keyed to his Product Key, not yours. Also, this key won't work
to install 97 either, because the original key gets overwritten during the
upgrade process. I'm assuming you got the key for 97 when you bought the
Dell, since it seems your getting stuck migrating 2K to your new machine if
I read your posts correctly.

My guess is the previous owner didn't want to give up the Office 2000
upgrade, since it seems unlikely someone would "misplace" something that
would cost at least a couple of hundred bucks to replace!

HTH,

Alinator

Old December 3rd 03, 09:27 AM
jimbo

Well I'm trying to install the software, it asked for the serial number
which I provided, when when it comes to the product key I don't have it. Is
there a way to get it off the Cd itself?

"Kevin Childers" wrote in message
Check the Registry. I forget where exactly, but the number is stored

there.

KC

om...

Old December 4th 03, 09:17 PM
Alinator

"jimbo" wrote in message
news
Well I'm trying to install the software, it asked for the serial number
which I provided, when when it comes to the product key I don't have it.

Is
there a way to get it off the Cd itself?

snip

Generally speaking, no it isn't possible to pull the key directly off the
CD. That said, there are ways to get around a lost key. Run a Google search
for "lost windows 98 product key" for some ideas.

HTH,

Alinator

Old December 5th 03, 06:40 PM
Quaoar

Alinator wrote:
"jimbo" wrote in message
news
Well I'm trying to install the software, it asked for the serial
number which I provided, when when it comes to the product key I
don't have it. Is there a way to get it off the Cd itself?

snip

Generally speaking, no it isn't possible to pull the key directly off
the CD. That said, there are ways to get around a lost key. Run a
Google search for "lost windows 98 product key" for some ideas.

HTH,

Alinator

The serial number, AIRC, is in the About Office, under the help menu.
It is the first X digits of the product code that is listed there. If
your friend has it installed.......