How to get printer IP address via command line?

Old April 12th 11, 05:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
JJ

Default How to get printer IP address via command line?

Hello:

Another question for you printer experts out there! ;-)

We have several networked printers on the system and I'm trying to find a
way to get their IP addresses via a command (DOS) line command. Like Ping
for example. I was told that should work and it does if I ping the actual
IP address. But if I ping the printer's "name" in the system, it doesn't
work.

I get the following message (PR34 is the printer's name):

"Ping reqeust could not find host PR34. Please check the name and try
again."

I need a way to get the IP address from the "name" of the printer if that's
even possible. I know someone who can do this with their printer on their
network, but not sure why it's not working on ours.

Thx in advance, JJ

Old April 12th 11, 08:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
me

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:43:28 -0400, "JJ"
wrote:

Hello:

Another question for you printer experts out there! ;-)

We have several networked printers on the system and I'm trying to find a
way to get their IP addresses via a command (DOS) line command. Like Ping
for example. I was told that should work and it does if I ping the actual
IP address. But if I ping the printer's "name" in the system, it doesn't
work.

I get the following message (PR34 is the printer's name):

"Ping reqeust could not find host PR34. Please check the name and try
again."

I need a way to get the IP address from the "name" of the printer if that's
even possible. I know someone who can do this with their printer on their
network, but not sure why it's not working on ours.

Thx in advance, JJ

nslookup printername

include the whole domain name if not set as the default on your
system.
Old April 12th 11, 09:01 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
JJ

"me" wrote in message

nslookup printername

include the whole domain name if not set as the default on your
system.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I tried that command. It does return
an IP but not the right one. When I then take that IP and enter into a
browser, it doesn't connect to the printer. When I look at Control Panel,
Printers..., select the printer, look at Properties, Port, Config Port...the
IP address there is different.

Why would that be do you know? That IP address *will* work in a browser,
bringing up the printer's browser based command screen. That's what I'm
trying to get at, *that* IP address...

Odd. Thx, JJ

Old April 12th 11, 09:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager

wrote:

[...]

I suspect the printers haven't been put into DNS at all.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old April 12th 11, 11:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
me

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 16:01:00 -0400, "JJ"
wrote:

"me" wrote in message
.. .

nslookup printername

include the whole domain name if not set as the default on your
system.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I tried that command. It does return
an IP but not the right one. When I then take that IP and enter into a
browser, it doesn't connect to the printer. When I look at Control Panel,
Printers..., select the printer, look at Properties, Port, Config Port...the
IP address there is different.

Why would that be do you know? That IP address *will* work in a browser,
bringing up the printer's browser based command screen. That's what I'm
trying to get at, *that* IP address...

Odd. Thx, JJ

I would think this points to DNS/host table issues since nslookup is
going to get it's info from here. If the name has the incorrect IP
address associated with it then that's a real problem. What method is
used to assign IP addresses on your network?

I'm quickly coming to the limits of my knowledge here.

Old April 12th 11, 11:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
me

On 12 Apr 2011 20:02:07 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I suspect the printers haven't been put into DNS at all.

Look at the reply to my suggestion. nslookup gets an IP address that
appears to be different from the one the PC has for the port connected
to this printer. Something is not right in Denmark?
Old April 12th 11, 11:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:44:04 -0400, me wrote:

On 12 Apr 2011 20:02:07 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I suspect the printers haven't been put into DNS at all.

Look at the reply to my suggestion. nslookup gets an IP address that
appears to be different from the one the PC has for the port connected
to this printer. Something is not right in Denmark?

You wonder if the network has a series of computers with names and IPs in
DNS. And each printer attached to a computer has been given the (Windows
network) name of that computer, which is in a different namespace and
doesn't have a domain part.

It would be interesting to do a reverse lookup on that IP address (the
real one) to see if it has any kind of name associated with it.

Old April 13th 11, 11:38 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
JJ

"me" wrote in message

I would think this points to DNS/host table issues since nslookup is
going to get it's info from here. If the name has the incorrect IP
address associated with it then that's a real problem. What method is
used to assign IP addresses on your network?

I'm quickly coming to the limits of my knowledge here.

Well, you are w-a-y beyond my limited knowledge here! :-) The printer
works fine and is accessible from many systems...I don't know how the IP was
assigned. I'll have to ask the network folks. They, so far, have also been
unable to help me do this...but it what it is. Thx again! JJ

Old April 13th 11, 11:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
JJ

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:44:04 -0400, me wrote:

On 12 Apr 2011 20:02:07 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I suspect the printers haven't been put into DNS at all.

Look at the reply to my suggestion. nslookup gets an IP address that
appears to be different from the one the PC has for the port connected
to this printer. Something is not right in Denmark?

You wonder if the network has a series of computers with names and IPs in
DNS. And each printer attached to a computer has been given the (Windows
network) name of that computer, which is in a different namespace and
doesn't have a domain part.

It would be interesting to do a reverse lookup on that IP address (the
real one) to see if it has any kind of name associated with it.

I'm not sure how to do this...and I'm confused now! Very easy to to for me
with this network stuff! ;-) It's odd for sure. I appreciate the input
from everyone. JJ

Old April 13th 11, 08:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Moe Trin[_2_]

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.periphs.printers, in article
, JJ wrote:

"me" wrote

] nslookup printername

]Thanks, I should have mentioned that I tried that command. It does
]return an IP but not the right one. When I then take that IP and
]enter into a browser, it doesn't connect to the printer.

Who ever set up the DNS has their head up-and-locked

]When I look at Control Panel, Printers..., select the printer, look at
]Properties, Port, Config Port...the IP address there is different.

]Why would that be do you know?

The people who set up the DNS are not the ones who set up the printer
OR either/both groups don't know what they are doing, and failed to
click on the right icons and finish the setup.

]That IP address *will* work in a browser, bringing up the printer's
]browser based command screen. That's what I'm trying to get at,
]*that* IP address...

Sounds as if you'll have to look at the control panel setup for each
printer your computer knows about and write down the name/IP for your
own use. Note that the addresses _may_ change each time things are
re-booted/crash.

I would think this points to DNS/host table issues since nslookup
is going to get it's info from here. If the name has the incorrect
IP address associated with it then that's a real problem.

Exactly

What method is used to assign IP addresses on your network?

Good question - sounds like DHCP that isn't talking to DNS.

I'm quickly coming to the limits of my knowledge here.

Well, yeah - it's not exactly a printer/printing problem.

Well, you are w-a-y beyond my limited knowledge here! :-) The
printer works fine and is accessible from many systems...I don't know
how the IP was assigned.

It may not have been - it sounds as if your network is running some
form of windoze, and who ever set it up is depending on ad-hoc
networking, without having the first clue about network setup.

I'll have to ask the network folks. They, so far, have also been
unable to help me do this...but it what it is

Two reasons - either they don't know (and this sounds more likely)
and are just as lost as you are, OR they know, but have no desire
to allow you to know for policy/sanity reasons.

By the way, the reason the 'ping' won't work is because the nslookup
won't work - they both depend on the same basic information.

Old guy