Warranty on monitors

Old July 30th 03, 10:48 PM
tHatDudeUK

Default Warranty on monitors

"Cicero" wrote in message
Is the guarantee on monitors generally '3 years onsite' or is this the
exception. Most of those I see advertised seem to offer this cover and I
assumed that this was the norm. Today I went into both Comet and Curry's

pick up a quick replacement and both stated that their guarantee was a
'standard' 12 months only. Are they withholding manufacturers' guarantees

so
that they can sell their own extended guarantees?

Comet and Curry's suck they don't know j**k s**t about anything. Almost all
CRT monitors have written in the manual or an accomanying warranty booklet 3
years. Any without 3 years warranty are not worth considering at all.

I have read that one of these stores took Scart cables out of DVD players
boxes in order to try to sell the customer a scart cable for the price they
like to charge which is something like £10-20.

EU law states there must be a minimum of 24 months warranty which I suspect
we'll be seeing some interesting things happening about soon as most people
seem to think 12 months is adequate.

Go somewhere half decent. Even Ebuyer is better than Comet or Curry's
although ebuyerdotcon may have something to say about that ;-)

Old July 30th 03, 10:58 PM
Cicero

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
[...]

===========
Thanks for the reply - it confirms pretty much what I thought. I don't think
I'll be going to Ebuyer though as I had to sue them to get a refund for
faulty goods.

Cic.

Old July 30th 03, 11:49 PM
Peter Parry

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:48:21 +0100, "tHatDudeUK"
wrote:

EU law states there must be a minimum of 24 months warranty

An interesting observation. Which particular law do you think it is
that says this?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old July 31st 03, 02:08 AM
tHatDudeUK

wrote:

EU law states there must be a minimum of 24 months warranty

An interesting observation. Which particular law do you think it is
that says this?

I wouldn't know if this applies in the UK or not but certainley I have read
that this is EU law.

Old July 31st 03, 02:27 AM
tHatDudeUK

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
I wouldn't know if this applies in the UK or not but certainley I have

read
that this is EU law.

Ok, just read up and it's an EU directive, not a law but I'd hope it will
become law in the UK soon.

Old July 31st 03, 07:40 PM
Paul Womar

tHatDudeUK wrote:

EU law states there must be a minimum of 24 months warranty which I suspect
we'll be seeing some interesting things happening about soon as most people
seem to think 12 months is adequate.

Last time we had this discussion the consensus seemed to be that the
directive actually seemed to be ensuring that there was a minimum period
of 24 months where the purchaser has the right to persue legal action
against the retailer, the statute of limitations here already gives us 6
years.
--
- The email address used in this message *IS* valid -
Old July 31st 03, 08:37 PM
lbockhed

"Paul Womar" wrote in message
tHatDudeUK wrote:

EU law states there must be a minimum of 24 months warranty which I

suspect
we'll be seeing some interesting things happening about soon as most

people
seem to think 12 months is adequate.

Last time we had this discussion the consensus seemed to be that the
directive actually seemed to be ensuring that there was a minimum period
of 24 months where the purchaser has the right to persue legal action
against the retailer, the statute of limitations here already gives us 6
years.

but there is little thing in the SOG act that says "it is reasonable to
expect the goods to last longer", which enable retailers to reject peoples
claims for a replacement, repair, refund (full or partial) on your £9.99
kettle that broke down after 18 months and outside the 1 year warrantee
period

a forced 2 year warrantee would force a replacement/repair/partial refund
out of the retailer

this directive will not become law because it will put up the price of cheap
(which would not be cheap anymore) goods which have helped to lower
inflation.......unless they have different tears of law & SOGA for different
prices/products

--
- The email address used in this message *IS* valid -

Old August 1st 03, 11:55 PM
Peter Parry

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:37:28 +0000 (UTC), "lbockhed"
wrote:

but there is little thing in the SOG act that says "it is reasonable to
expect the goods to last longer",

Would you care to quote where it says that?

this directive will not become law because it will put up the price of cheap
(which would not be cheap anymore) goods which have helped to lower
inflation.......unless they have different tears of law & SOGA for different
prices/products

The directive I think you are referring to (Directive 1999/44/EC) was
incorporated into UK law and became active on 31 Mar 03 as the Supply
of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002. It did not, either in the
original directive or the implementation into UK law, introduce a two
year warranty period.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old August 2nd 03, 01:02 AM
tHatDudeUK

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
Ok, just read up and it's an EU directive, not a law but I'd hope it will
become law in the UK soon.

It did on the 31 Mar 03. It did not introduce a two year warranty
and was never going to.

It's weird lots of other people misunderstood it the same way as me :-S Law
is too complex a subject :-

Old August 2nd 03, 02:56 PM
Paul Womar

lbockhed wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message

The directive I think you are referring to (Directive 1999/44/EC) was
incorporated into UK law and became active on 31 Mar 03 as the Supply
of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002. It did not, either in the
original directive or the implementation into UK law, introduce a two
year warranty period.

i was talking about the new EU directive on compulsary 2 year warrantees
which hasnt become uk law

The point is that the directive Peter is referring to is the one that
most people are talking about when they mention this 2 year warranty
thing and if you read it yourself you will see that it doesn't say what
you think it says. If it is in fact another directive that you are
referring to, please give a citation.
--
- The email address used in this message *IS* valid -