Veritas Backup Exec 9.1: different networks

Old June 23rd 04, 01:39 AM
Alan Murrell

Default Veritas Backup Exec 9.1: different networks

Hello,

I have searched thorugh Veritas' documentation and knowledgebase to
find the answer to this, but have not had any luck.

I have the following setup:

Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 (backup/media server, Windows 2000,
IPADDR:10.119.169.254)
Vertias Backup Remote Agent (client server, Windows 2003, IPADDR:
10.119.180.58)

(Note: in my actual setup, the IPs are indeed routeable; I just used
the above to protect the guilty :-) )

On the backup/media server (the one that will be doing the backups), I
have gone
into "Tools|Options|Network" and specified TCP ports 1025-1037 for the
medis
server and 1037-1050 for the Remote Agent.

The client has opened the following ports (UDP) on their firewall
(10.119.180.58) for the backup/media server (10.119.169.254):

10000
1025-1050

As you can see, the backup server and the client's server are on two
different
subnets. Also, the client's machines (two or three) are on private
IPs behind the firewall, with that single IP being natted for all of
them. However, the ports that were opened are mapped to go to the
server to be backed up.

When I try to create a job on the backup server to backup the client's
server, the backup server is unable to detect the Remote Agent on the
client's
computer, which makes some sense.

I guess my question is, how do I get our backup server to see the
Remote
Agent on the client's server? Will they need to change their setup
behind the firewall?

TIA for your help and insight.

Sincerely,

Alan Murrell