Incremental backup to NAS

Old June 20th 04, 01:59 PM
Slim

Default Incremental backup to NAS

Hello,

Is there any program that will save several backup versions to a NAS, and
will manage these versions in a GFS like algorithm?

Rick

Old June 22nd 04, 05:21 AM
Paul

Since you mention GFS, you're prolly familiar with brightstor. Try
their laptop backup software. There are a lot of other folks out there
that make that kind of software.

If you're using a NAS with snapshot capabilities, you could use some
sort of open source or commercial file syncing software (rsync,
securecopy, robocopy, etc) to sync to the NAS, then take snapshots.
Won't do GFS, but close enough (never understood that GFS crap anyway;
one size fits all retention doesn't make any sense to me).

Neither of these will do application backup (Exchange, Oracle, etc.)

You could always just use the NAS as a backup target tho, no?

--paul

Old June 22nd 04, 09:20 PM
Slim

Thanks Paul,

But NAS with snapshot capabilities is way out of our budget. I need to have
an online storage of the backups taken in the last quarter, and to be able
to have most of them incremental (to save space). This way we will be able
to recover files up to one quarter back in a rapid fashion.

I have just found a program (Relative Rev Backup by DataMills
http://www.datamills.com) that can take incremental backups to almost any
backup media. It is bundled with a backup generation manager that will
manage a configurable retention period of these incremental backups
(including in a Grandfather Father Son formation). I have downloaded it and
ran few backups, so far so good. The price is also reasonable (sub $100 for
a workstation and about $300 for backing up windows servers).

Few open files were reported by RRB to fail. However Open File Module by St.
Bernard Software is supported, and I am going to give it a try.

Slim

.. .