pharaonic work

Old June 17th 04, 12:18 PM
monete

Default pharaonic work

Hi

I write from Barcelona, Spain
We have our security copies in around 3000 cd's we are now realizing
that cd support is not eternal.

We want to pass it to other storage system ( in example, hdd for dialy
consulting and tapes as a backup for put it in a bank cage).

My first doubt is does anyone know any tricks to pass the cd's to
other format ( and also, this cd's were recorded from macs! ). It is a
pharaonic work. Does your experience give any original solution

Thank you for your time
Old June 23rd 04, 10:49 AM
monete

It's a good one

But I don't want to keep the juke for nothing maybe we can rent it.
But here in Spain it doesn't seems easy.

i will inform you thank you very much!
Jesper Monsted wrote in message . 74.163...
(monete) wrote in
m:
My first doubt is does anyone know any tricks to pass the cd's to
other format ( and also, this cd's were recorded from macs! ). It is a
pharaonic work. Does your experience give any original solution

Buy a CD jukebox, load it up with CDs and have a Lunix-box run a script
that mounts each CD and copies the contents to a hard drive?

Old June 23rd 04, 05:52 PM
Zak

monete wrote:
It's a good one

But I don't want to keep the juke for nothing maybe we can rent it.
But here in Spain it doesn't seems easy.

Or write clear instructions, write some scripts and have someone push
CDs in the drawer.

I'd suggest copying them to a scratch area as a disk image, mounting
that as HFS or whatever, and copying the data to a target file system.

This way one CD can be read while the previous is unraveled into files.

With a 30 x effective speed CD drive a CD takes 3 minutes incuding
change - someone could easily do 120 in a working day on a single
workstation. Given that is is non-skilled work, it should not be hard to
hire someone for this - especially as it is rathr light (but boring) duty.

I'd suggest making daily batches and logging volume labels or checksums
- so you know when one was skipped by accident.

Thomas