How to realign an HP 5000N Laserjet?

Old April 2nd 09, 04:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default How to realign an HP 5000N Laserjet?

I have been trying to print labels on my HP 5000N LaserJet printer. I
discovered that the printer is slightly misaligned. The text is
shifted to the right by about 1/16 inch.

I created a page with a large 2-column table centered. The center line
is 1/16" to the right of true center. If I print the same document on
other printers, the center line is right in the center.

Is there a way i can realign the printer or do I need to call a
service tech? I can't find anything in the manual.
Old April 3rd 09, 12:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

wrote:
I have been trying to print labels on my HP 5000N LaserJet printer. I
discovered that the printer is slightly misaligned. The text is
shifted to the right by about 1/16 inch.

I created a page with a large 2-column table centered. The center line
is 1/16" to the right of true center. If I print the same document on
other printers, the center line is right in the center.

Is there a way i can realign the printer or do I need to call a
service tech? I can't find anything in the manual.

The only adjustment that affects alignment for most laser printers (including
this one) is in the paper tray itself. If the guides in the paper tray are not
correctly set there can be a horizontal shift of the paper.
Does this happen from one tray or all trays? If the problem is from one tray
only there may be an issue with the feed rollers for that tray, causing a paper
skew. Is the misalignment the same at the top and bottom edge of the paper
(based on the direction of feed, since this is an A3 printer).
What size paper are you using? Also worth checking which driver you have, the
latest driver from the HP website for your operating system is recommended. Is
the driver you are using PCL or PostScript, it may be worth trying the other
one.
Tony
MS MVP Printing Image

Old April 3rd 09, 02:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 18:47:37 -0500, Tony

[...]

I should have mentioned that it happens from all 3 trays and I do have
the latest driver. I'm using it in PCL mode.

It's an old printer, whicn I have been meaning to replace for awhile.
Maybe now is the time.

Thanks