looking for parts

Old March 27th 09, 11:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Default looking for parts

I am trying to save my laser photocopier, which is in need of a silly
gear which broke a tooth. I thought it was probably worth a go here.

The printer/copier is a Xerox (made by Sharp apparently) WorkCentre XE
Series. The part I need is part of the replaceable drum unit, which is
drum number 13R553, and is supposed to work in the XE60/62/80/82 models.

The drum I have is actually fine, but one of the gears in the drum unit
needs to be replaced, so if you happen to have an old one floating
around, even if the drum is ruined, it could help me. The drum unit is
supposed to be good for 18K prints, but from how it is constructed I
doubt it ever gets there.

The drum unit costs more than the whole printer to replace now, and I
would hate to have to discard this printer/copier because of a 10 cent
plastic gear.

Any help, suggestions, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Please email me privately at:

e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org

(at) = @
(dot) = .

if you have anything to help.

Art

--
If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/
Old March 28th 09, 05:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
IntergalacticExpandingPanda

On Mar 27, 4:59*am, Arthur Entlich wrote:
I am trying to save my laser photocopier, which is in need of a silly
gear which broke a tooth. *I thought it was probably worth a go here.

Have you thought about making a casting of the gear in wax and using
some sort of epoxy resin, like fiberglass resin, to fabricate a new
one?

Old March 28th 09, 05:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:15:58 -0700, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

On Mar 27, 4:59Â*am, Arthur Entlich wrote:
I am trying to save my laser photocopier, which is in need of a silly
gear which broke a tooth. Â*I thought it was probably worth a go here.

Have you thought about making a casting of the gear in wax and using
some sort of epoxy resin, like fiberglass resin, to fabricate a new
one?

What a waste of time. These printers are not expensive. Just buy a new
one.
Old March 28th 09, 06:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

measekite wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:15:58 -0700, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

On Mar 27, 4:59 am, Arthur Entlich wrote:
I am trying to save my laser photocopier, which is in need of a silly
gear which broke a tooth. I thought it was probably worth a go here.

Have you thought about making a casting of the gear in wax and using
some sort of epoxy resin, like fiberglass resin, to fabricate a new
one?

What a waste of time. These printers are not expensive. Just buy a new
one.

Why don't you offer to buy it for him if you think they're so inexpensive?
Well...?
Old March 28th 09, 12:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Hi,

Yes, I have done things like that before for larger gears, but this gear
is quite small and uses very small teeth, and it is a stacked gear with
two different diameters and number of teeth. The area is using a series
of small gears to turn several internal parts at once at different rates.

These gears seems ti use a nylon-like material, although a bit more
brittle than the typical nylon gears.

Old March 30th 09, 06:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Keiser

The topic of repairing gears was discussed just a few weeks ago in
sci.electronics.repair. You might find the hints helpful since you seem up
to the challenge.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Old March 31st 09, 01:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:50:01 -1000, John Keiser wrote:

The topic of repairing gears was discussed just a few weeks ago in
sci.electronics.repair. You might find the hints helpful since you seem up
to the challenge.

Try Amco Transmission. They fix a lot of gears.
Old March 31st 09, 11:42 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Inkjet101

John Keiser wrote:

The topic of repairing gears was discussed just a few weeks ago in
sci.electronics.repair. You might find the hints helpful since you seem up
to the challenge.

Here's the thread:

http://tinyurl.com/cpvlbq
Old April 1st 09, 04:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Thanks for the heads up.

I also received a few links for sources for possible replacement gears.

Looks like a few possible solutions.

Old April 1st 09, 04:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Another thank you.

I've read some of the thread, and the size of this gear seems like it
would be rather difficult to repair, especially since it has a fair
amount of resistance and torque involved in the mechanism, so I will
probably try to track down a similar gear or two and construct something
similar from those parts.