Dell monitor - buy from Dell or Overclockers UK?

Old April 18th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Default Dell monitor - buy from Dell or Overclockers UK?

I'm looking at getting a Dell monitor, and comparing the price between
Dell direct and Overclockers UK, I can see there's about a £5 premium
for going with Dell (including Delivery etc). OCUK claim 4 years
warranty, whilst Dell claim 3 - I phoned OCUK and they said it might be
that Dell reduced the warranty since they put in on their website - so
I'll assume that wherever I buy it, it'll be 3 years warranty.

Anyway - where would people suggest I buy it from? Dell or Overclockers UK?

OCUK claim to have it in stock, whilst Dell claim 5-7 days delivery
time, but I'm not in a big hurry. What I'm more concerned about is
customer service and Distance Selling Regulations problems.

I'm leaning towards OCUK simply because they have it in stock, and are
slightly cheaper. If I need to send it back for whatever reason, it'll
be cheaper to send to Bolton than Dell's Ireland base (assuming monitors
come from the same location as their desktop/laptop assembly plant in
Ireland).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

David
Old April 18th 06, 10:53 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when David Hearn
opened his gob and said:

Any suggestions?

Avoid Dell and Overclockers! Sorry to **** on your parade g.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old April 18th 06, 11:09 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"David Hearn" wrote in message
[...]

Depends which Dell monitor you're looking at but they were nearly all
cheaper a couple of weeks ago direct from Dell. Dell prices change every
Thursday so the monitor you're after may well be cheaper later this week. In
terms of CS, there's not much to choose between Dell and Overclockers - both
are OK unless you have problems and lack the patience to sort them out. If
you suffer from this, probably better not to buy online :-) If you do use
Dell, it might be worth registering with www.quidco.com as you get 4.5%
cashback buying via their link.

Take no notice of Dr Teeth (if he's not in your killfile), I can't remember
the last time he recommended anything other than avoiding all known on-line
sellers.

Old April 19th 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Ron Chew Too wrote:
[...]

Well, I wanted a particular Dell monitor (2005FPW) which currently has
20% off via Dell + free delivery, which was about £5 more than OCUK
after delivery. No other places I could find had this monitor at such a
competitive price - so really it had to be Dell or OCUK.

As it turned out, over the new year I ordered a Dell laptop for work but
delivered to home, and shortly afterwards I got an email from a Dell
sales guy who was to be my new contact for future purchases. We've used
Dell at lot at work for our laptops/server purchases, so know what Dell
sales people can do with the published prices, so I thought it
worthwhile emailing him and asking what he could do with the price. I
made it clear that it was a personal purchase, and that I wanted the
Distance Selling Regulations to apply.

Anyway, he got back to me first thing this morning (I emailed him after
he'd left last night) and managed to knock another 9% off the discounted
price (a total of 27% discount from Dell's RRP) and still including 3
years on-site warranty swap-out and free delivery. I've made sure all
references to my employers were removed from the quote/order, and so
it's been processed as a personal/consumer order.

I'm aware of some of the problems that Dell has regarding after sales
support, but wherever I get the display from, ultimately the warranty is
still with Dell as it's a Dell monitor - so I'm aware of the possible
problems on that front.

Thanks for the advice - hadn't heard of Quidco before - but in this
case, it wouldn't have been compatible with getting the discount from
the sales guy. I'll certainly bare/bear(?) that in mind when ordering
something else in the future.

Old April 19th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:53:15 +0100, David Hearn
wrote:

[...]

If you can wait, for the last few years Dell have had their best
prices around October. October last year 2405's were £500 compared to
£800 now.
Old April 19th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

wrote:

[...]

Not really, I need it in the next week or so. Plus, they're bringing
out the 2007FPW/2407FPWs soon (out in US/Japan and certainly the
2007FPW's manual is on Dell UK's website) so I'm guessing the current
discounts are an attempt to help clear stock before the new ones come
out - and seeing as the 3007FPW has recently been released and is
excluded from their current 20/25% discounts and has a silly £3.53
discount on a nearly £1500 purchase, I can't expect their new xx07FPW
range to be discounted much for a while.

I'd have liked to have gone for the 2007FPW due to its support for HDCP
over DVI and a brighter/higher contrast screen - but it's not yet
available and (probably) undiscounted (ie. £100 more).

Old April 19th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "Ron Chew Too"
opened his gob and said:

Take no notice of Dr Teeth (if he's not in your killfile), I can't remember
the last time he recommended anything other than avoiding all known on-line
sellers.

You obviously cannot read very well or for too long before getting a
headache.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old April 19th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

opened his gob and said:

Take no notice of Dr Teeth (if he's not in your killfile), I can't
remember
the last time he recommended anything other than avoiding all known
on-line
sellers.

You obviously cannot read very well or for too long before getting a
headache.

So who are you buying from nowadays, Guy. I'd add you to my killfile if
reading your rantings didn't give me such a laugh. You're definitely up
there in the Nick Le Lievre class of headcases. Not been dealing with Dabs
lately by any chance, have you?

Old May 8th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

[...]

This really is a no brainer. For the sake of £5 you buy a dell monitor
from dell obviously.