PCWorld

Old August 16th 03, 03:16 PM
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...
The difference is that at least some garages have some idea how to fix a
car. Not all, granted.

So why does PC World have a turnover of £1.6bn? People wouldn't go back if
they got bad service.

They won't, but there's always fresh newbies to take their place. They'll
think - where can I get the hardware I'm after? A local shop I've never heard
of or a place that advertises on prime-time TV, since if they do that then
they must be good(!)

Then if they find out they've been shafted price-wise, depending on what
they've bought, they won't go back - same as if they got bad advice on
something.

They wouldn't be my first choice either but I don't
think they're as bad as the more 'technical' people in newsgroups such as
this make out.

If they're so good, then why do all the different shops in the Dixons chain
need to have different names? Dixons, Currys, PC World, The Link. Dixons and
Currys are the same thing precisely, then you could have Dixons PC and Dixons
Mobile. If they stopped having different names then they could lower their
prices through cheaper marketing costs.

Clearly they do this because most people won't know to make the connection,
but the time will come. People are being wised-up to how pointless some
extended warranties are, and legislation is being worked on to make these
cancellable shortly after purchase, especially if a customer feels they've
been bullied into it.

I was looking at a system on their website and out of
interest priced up the components on ebuyer. It came to £50 less than the PC
world Price which of course included actually building the machine and 1
years on site waranty. Not a bad deal IMHO.

They were selling the same Medion PC that I got from Aldi, and for the same
£799. I've already listed my problems with that so I won't go into it here,
but the content was good for the price. In this case though, PC World are just
resellers - they're not having to build it or provide the support, but that
doesn't mean that PC World have any talent worth shouting about or should be
commended for this act.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
Old August 16th 03, 03:18 PM
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...
Ant C wrote:
"Spinal" wrote in message

I used pcworld recently and they were really helpful so theyre in my
good books :-)

Rank amateur go and crawl under that 386 its where you belong.

That's problem what they sold him.
"Pentium 4, sir? This model's far better. It's 382 times better. It's a
Pentium 386!"

Old August 16th 03, 03:43 PM
ff

They have their good points and bad points but 15 pound printer/usb
cables annoy me. Its 1.99 at homebase two stores down. Don't know
quite why but it really gets me.
Old August 17th 03, 10:54 AM
Steve

I wondered when someone would bring that up.
Their cable prices are disgraceful.

Old August 17th 03, 12:37 PM
Julian Hales

"Steve" wrote in message
I wondered when someone would bring that up.
Their cable prices are disgraceful.

Yes disgraceful.

If it was like a little friendly corner shop who cant buy in bulk and sell
cheap i could live with that and if they gave good advice, but they sell on
the fact they know most customers have no idea what they need....or what
they want.

Old August 17th 03, 01:51 PM
Paul Hopwood

"tHatDudeUK" wrote:

Where else do you suggest they take it? Most local computer shops
would charge £20 to £30, or more.

I'm gonna have to set up business and charge a tenner each aren't I? Place
an ad in the local paper :-)

Feel free... I give it about two weeks before you realise it just
ain't worth the hassle!

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old August 18th 03, 12:32 AM
tHatDudeUK

"Steve" wrote in message
I wondered when someone would bring that up.
Their cable prices are disgraceful.

I remember reading an accusation that a DSG retail company removed scart
cables provided with DVD players so they could say, "Sir, you really do need
a scart cable to connect it to your TV and we have just the one, it's Gold
plated, fully screened cable and only £30 or you can get one not gold plated
for £14." lol.

Old November 11th 03, 11:56 PM
dkh

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in
:

Notwithstanding the fact the RAM supplied is cheap generic of low
speed and low CAS latency,

Low latency is a *good thing*
--

dkh His Dancing Leg