Windows 10 and BD PROCHOT

Old May 24th 19, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Default Windows 10 and BD PROCHOT

On 5/24/2019 1:12 AM, Paul wrote:
Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 5/23/2019 7:52 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
Does Win 7 play tricks with BD PROCHOT in its automatic updates? I don't
remember hearing anyone complaining about that, until some people
reported Intel had security issues and needed microcode patch.

These whole Intel CPU buggy stories can be a conspiracy theory....

You're going to have to provide a URL reference to this thing.

PROCHOT has only one meaning. It has nothing to do with software *at all*.

Yes, but that signal could cause Window$' power plan to throttle the CPU.

*** Unrelated to WIn 7:

I am having that problem in Win 10 after KB4494441, not sure whether it
could happen in Win 7. The CPU locked itself at 798 MHz on cold start.

Could be a BIOS setting issue, but I don't know which option.

Anyway... just a stupid complaint.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
¤£*ɶU! ¤£¶BÄF! ¤£½ä¿ú! ¤£´©¥æ! ¤£¥´¥æ! ¤£¥´§T! ¤£¦Û±þ! ¤£¨D¯«!
½Ð¦Ò¼{ºî´© (CSSA):
Old May 24th 19, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 5/24/2019 1:12 AM, Paul wrote:
Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 5/23/2019 7:52 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
Does Win 7 play tricks with BD PROCHOT in its automatic updates? I
don't remember hearing anyone complaining about that, until some
people reported Intel had security issues and needed microcode patch.

These whole Intel CPU buggy stories can be a conspiracy theory....

You're going to have to provide a URL reference to this thing.

PROCHOT has only one meaning. It has nothing to do with software *at
all*.

Yes, but that signal could cause Window$' power plan to throttle the CPU.

*** Unrelated to WIn 7:

I am having that problem in Win 10 after KB4494441, not sure whether it
could happen in Win 7. The CPU locked itself at 798 MHz on cold start.

Could be a BIOS setting issue, but I don't know which option.

Anyway... just a stupid complaint.

PROCHOT has nothing to do with setting CPU speed.

It's there to turn off the computer, if the CPU
gets too hot.

First, the CPU has a throttling state, which would
normally be enough to control the CPU temperature.

But, if the heatsink falls off the CPU or the fan blade is
jammed so there is no airflow, PROCHOT turns off the computer,
just like that. Like a light switch. Once the junction temperature
rises 20C higher than the throttling point, that's when PROCHOT
turns off the main ATX power rails.

You can disable all the C states in the BIOS and disable
EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep). That's the equivalent of
using the "Performance" schema in the Power control panel.
The CPU will run at the top multiplier (and run at
its rated speed).

However, if there is still a problem with cooling, all that
making those adjustments in the BIOS will do, is hasten the time
until PROCHOT turns off the computer again. If there is a
cooling problem (fan fails to turn), or the computer is
kept in a closet with the door closed, it's going to
overheat.

Paul
Old May 24th 19, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 5/25/2019 12:40 AM, Paul wrote:

You can disable all the C states in the BIOS and disable
EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep). That's the equivalent of
using the "Performance" schema in the Power control panel.
The CPU will run at the top multiplier (and run at
its rated speed).

I tried doing that but it still throttled itself at 798 MHz. Resetting
all BIOS values to defaults solved the problem, but then I don't know
what BIOS values triggered the throttling. Everything happened after
KB4494441 was installed into Win 10 build 1809.

Someone suggested a tool called ThrottleStop, and it really instantly
fixed the issue.

Really weird.... and confusing.

Old May 24th 19, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

In message , Mr. Man-wai
Chang writes:
On 5/24/2019 1:12 AM, Paul wrote:
Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 5/23/2019 7:52 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
Does Win 7 play tricks with BD PROCHOT in its automatic updates? I
don't remember hearing anyone complaining about that, until some
people reported Intel had security issues and needed microcode patch.

For the avoidance of confusion: I (JPG) did _not_ write the above. (You
can tell that by counting ""s [anything I wrote would have one more of
them than the "JPG wrote" line], but it isn't obvious: someone (I think
MwC) didn't delete the attribution line. (Until Paul's explanation later
in the thread, I had no idea what PROCHOT was.)
[]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The losses on both sides at Borodino [1812], 70 miles from Moscow, are the
equivalent of a jumbo jet crashing into an area of six square miles every five
minutes for the whole ten hours of the battle, killing or wounding everyone on
board. - Andrew Roberts on Napoleon, RT 2015/6/13-19
Old May 25th 19, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 5/25/2019 4:07 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
atch.

For the avoidance of confusion: I (JPG) did _not_ write the above. (You
can tell that by counting ""s [anything I wrote would have one more of
them than the "JPG wrote" line], but it isn't obvious: someone (I think
MwC) didn't delete the attribution line. (Until Paul's explanation later
in the thread, I had no idea what PROCHOT was.)

That BD PROCHOT problem should not have happened. I am still
wondering.... Hopefully, you wouldn't see it in your systems.