Legend 520SX 386 20Mhz

Old July 31st 18, 02:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
[email protected]

Default Legend 520SX 386 20Mhz

On Thursday, March 16, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Tom Bowen wrote:
Anyone with info about this system please help. I can't find a manual for
it. Packard Bell Support doesn't go back this far. They go back to 1993 but
I think this was built in 1990. Mainly I need to know what my options are
for RAM. I have 4 slots but I'm not sure how much I can put in. Two slots
are filled but I'm not sure how many megs are in there. When it boots it
reads 640k and 1408 extended. Is this 2megs? What's my max? Also, this is
the old 30pin RAM. I found some today at a local consignment shop but they
didn't work. Is it possible that there is a parity conflict. Do I need
parity or non-parity. Does anyone know where I can find a good assortment of
this older type RAM on the web? Please respond to my email address.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom:
I'm thinking that is a max of 16MB of Simm 30pin 80ns or less memory sticks.. I have two 8 mb sticks in back zero and none in bank 1. My bank 1 has broken plastic tabs and the SIMM won't stnad up straight as it should. IE it won't lock into the up position. There are little white plastic pins that held the SIMM in place but I didn't know the proper procedure to take out the old SIMM's and accidently broke these little White Plastic locking things. So the max I can use is 8MB now.

Note: You must use the same speed on all the SIMMs. You can't mix 80ns with 70ns as that won't work. Use all 80ns SIMMS or all 70ns SIMMS. I have 70ns Simm 30 pin with 9 chips on each SIMM. SIMMS = single inline memory module. I bough some PNY SIMMs that are 70 or 80 ns and they didn't match the other SIMMS that I had.

I think that the Packard Bell Legend 520SX-20 came with only 1MB of Ram installed and no CoProcessor and only 16KB of Cash.

I would love to update my old Legend with 4 new 4MB SIMMS and even change out to a real 386 IBM Chip if that were possible.

I have a game 1942 Pacific Air Wars which is an old DOS based game that's running on my old PB Legend and it's slow Frame Rates make it hard to play the game properly. Back when I got the computer 1993/94 I bought the 1942 PAW game and played it but I didn't know what a flight sim game was supposed to play with 60 or greater fps action. Later as I progressed through my virtual flight sim career I leaned that slow frame rates were not acceptable anymore. So now I would like to know if I can improve the frame rates on this computer playing 1942 PAW or other DOS 6.2 Based games.

I tried to load up some of these old DOS based games on another HP Computer running Windows 95 but never could get the game, CD ROM, and Sound Blaster Live and CH Products Game Card III Automatic to load with Autoexec.bat files. It's pretty complicated to configure the computer's 640KB base memory properly as these old DOS Based games need a lot of base memory and extended memory to run properly. 1942 PAW needs 580KB or base memory RAM to run Properly. I had to use load high commands in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files along with smartdrive and other DOS commands to get these games to run on both these old DOS Based Computers.

Good luck finding any SIMMS for your computer as they are hard to find nowdays. July 31 2018.

Moveon

Legend 520SX 386 20Mhz [email protected] Packard Bell Computers 0 April 13th 17 08:03 PM
PB 994 legend mc Packard Bell Computers 1 May 26th 12 12:42 PM
Legend 402CD Ben Myers[_2_] Packard Bell Computers 7 June 30th 09 03:36 AM
legend 402 AWM Packard Bell Computers 5 June 17th 08 01:17 AM
Legend 402 cd frank Packard Bell Computers 1 March 28th 05 05:05 PM