New mobo

Old March 28th 17, 06:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default New mobo

My main machine is quite ancient and I've decided up finally break down
and upgrade. My present mobo has a dual core CPU and 6gigs of RAM.
In theory the board supports 8gigs of RAM but in actuality I cannot get
it to work reliably with more than 6gigs. It was so old it did not even
have USB-3 so the mobo must be ten years old or more.

My new mobo arrived and I put in some DDR-3 I already had but the
machine would not boot. Reading the manual I see that my two, 2 gig RAM
sticks are not supported. (it requires more than that) Decided to order
two 8Ggig RAM sticks and max it out at 16gigs.

This thing better work once I get the RAM
Old March 28th 17, 08:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 3/28/2017 1:31 PM, philo wrote:
My main machine is quite ancient and I've decided up finally break down and
upgrade. My present mobo has a dual core CPU and 6gigs of RAM.
In theory the board supports 8gigs of RAM but in actuality I cannot get it
to work reliably with more than 6gigs. It was so old it did not even have
USB-3 so the mobo must be ten years old or more.

My new mobo arrived and I put in some DDR-3 I already had but the machine
would not boot. Reading the manual I see that my two, 2 gig RAM sticks are
not supported. (it requires more than that) Decided to order two 8Ggig RAM
sticks and max it out at 16gigs.

This thing better work once I get the RAM

What sort of MOBO did you get that still uses DDR3? I thought everything
was DDR4 now.

In general, it seems that modern chipsets are less touchy about what memory
they will work with. Or maybe it is the memory interface too. My last build
has an Intel H170 chipset and the original build had 16gB. For some
inexplicable reason I decided upgrade to 32gB by installing two more
sticks. In the old days that would have been questionable but the new
memory integrated perfectly and worked first time. Of course there is sill
no possible reason for me to have 32gB but at least all of the slots are
full so I won't be tempted further.

BTW, USB3 is not so old as you think. The actual standard was announced in
2008 but there were not really many products using it until 2010 IIRC. It
was a year after before it to become ubiquitous on MOBOs. Pretty much the
same timing for SATA-3.
Old March 28th 17, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 03/28/2017 02:38 PM, John McGaw wrote:
[...]

Yes....DDR4 is the standard now , I just bought a low priced mobo/cpu
combo. The last 3 or 4 machines I've built for other people used them
and all worked out fine.

Considering my present RAM is 800 mhz DDR-2 the new machine will have
1600 mhz RAM and will be plenty good.

Truth is my old machine is working just fine, but I just needed another
project
Old March 29th 17, 04:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

philo wrote:

My new mobo arrived and I put in some DDR-3 I already had but the
machine would not boot.

So what did you buy ? What motherboard and CPU ?

It's a hardware group. Is the new system drool-worthy ? :-)

Paul
Old March 29th 17, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 3/28/2017 11:17 PM, Paul wrote:
philo wrote:

My new mobo arrived and I put in some DDR-3 I already had but the
machine would not boot.

So what did you buy ? What motherboard and CPU ?

It's a hardware group. Is the new system drool-worthy ? :-)

Paul

Hmmm. If it is old enough to be using DDR-3 then, unless it happens to be a
E5 Xeon server board with four processors and 32 cores or something
similar, drooling might not apply. I get the feeling that the OP's apparent
parsimony might not allow such exotica. ;-)
Old March 29th 17, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

philo wrote:

My new mobo arrived and I put in some DDR-3 I already had but the
machine would not boot.

So what did you buy ? What motherboard and CPU ?

It's a hardware group. Is the new system drool-worthy ? :-)

Paul

Hmmm. If it is old enough to be using DDR-3 then, unless it happens to
be a E5 Xeon server board with four processors and 32 cores or something
similar, drooling might not apply. I get the feeling that the OP's
apparent parsimony might not allow such exotica. ;-)

It's a hardware group. And I like stories about hardware.

I have a $65 Asrock motherboard that's a champ. It is the
lowest power motherboard in the house. It has both PCI Express
and AGP video slots. If I ever need to build a server
at some point, that old thing is going to be my server
motherboard. Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it
cannot serve some narrowly defined function. And that one
is LGA775, running a dual core processor (with 36W power
dissipation doing Prime95). It happens to use DDR2,
but the RAM error rate seems to be zero in the testing
I've done. The board is better than any of my DDR400
stuff (those will throw the occasional error).

Paul
Old March 29th 17, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

philo wrote:

[...]

Nothing wrong with cheap(ish) hardware in its place. When I rebuilt my home
server back in 2014(?) it wound up choosing an ASUS P8B75-M MB and i3-3240
processor -- more than enough horsepower to run the WHS sofware and still
have a couple of threads left over to run the BOINC client. Actually I
picked that board specifically because it was the cheapest MB I could find
that had six SATA ports to support the required drives without forcing me
to use a card for for additional ports as the previous system needed.
Old March 29th 17, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 03/28/2017 10:17 PM, Paul wrote:
philo wrote:

My new mobo arrived and I put in some DDR-3 I already had but the
machine would not boot.

So what did you buy ? What motherboard and CPU ?

It's a hardware group. Is the new system drool-worthy ? :-)

Paul

No, it's a cheap mobo /cpu combo

AsRock 53455M

Plus 16G RAM

I bought it because I just felt like building a new machine, but my old
one is still OK
Old March 29th 17, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

philo wrote:

My new mobo arrived and I put in some DDR-3 I already had but the
machine would not boot.

So what did you buy ? What motherboard and CPU ?

It's a hardware group. Is the new system drool-worthy ? :-)

Paul

Hmmm. If it is old enough to be using DDR-3 then, unless it happens to
be a E5 Xeon server board with four processors and 32 cores or something
similar, drooling might not apply. I get the feeling that the OP's
apparent parsimony might not allow such exotica. ;-)

I bought it because it's cheap yep still easily twice as good as the
antique I am now using
Old March 29th 17, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

philo wrote:

[...]

Yep, the last few machine I built used those mobo/ cpu combos

work great and no problems.

Total time to build machine (not including loading the OS) was about 15
minutes.