New thread

Old March 6th 17, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

Default New thread

Hi,

?Does anyone here have experience with ASRock OC Tuner:
http://www.asrock.com/Feature/OCTuner/index.asp

Selecting the version for AMD RAM and a non AMD MOBO might be confusing.

However, just to be safe, I guess I should try the version for my MOBO
first.

Thanks

Old March 16th 17, 02:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

?Does anyone here have experience with ASRock OC Tuner:
http://www.asrock.com/Feature/OCTuner/index.asp

Selecting the version for AMD RAM and a non AMD MOBO might be confusing.

However, just to be safe, I guess I should try the version for my MOBO
first.

Further research tells me there are about ten over clocking solutions to
look at. As Gilda Radner said,

"Never Mind".

Old March 16th 17, 05:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
?Does anyone here have experience with ASRock OC Tuner:
http://www.asrock.com/Feature/OCTuner/index.asp

Selecting the version for AMD RAM and a non AMD MOBO might be confusing.

However, just to be safe, I guess I should try the version for my MOBO
first.

Further research tells me there are about ten over clocking solutions to
look at. As Gilda Radner said,

"Never Mind".

OC Tuner software is a SKU-related thing.

To automatically overclock from the BIOS, the motherboard must
have programmable regulators for the subsystems. They would not
put the feature in the BIOS, unless the hardware was full-featured
(for tuning).

When overclocking from Windows is offered, that typically only
works if the BIOS passes an ACPI table and object related to
hardware control. Using an ACPI object is to get around
permission issues. Again, the BIOS design would not have
such an object, unless there is some hardware the developer
feels the software on the system will need access to. That's
where weird stuff like "ATK0110" comes from. These are ACPI
objects, that users have trouble figuring out what driver
will "satisfy" them.

For BIOS level overclocking, the algorithm is usually pretty
dumb. "Apply lots of voltage". "Use the overclock range we've
seen in the lab to predict the multiplier range that is going
to work". The overclock is likely to be lame and sub-optimal,
compared to what a skilled operator can achieve.

A Windows tool on the other hand, maybe it doesn't just
assume stuff. And relies on operator test cases and adjusting
the knobs, for best results. The tool in that situation,
provides the interface, but doesn't dial everything in
for you.

I've used OC tools which did not have ACPI objects. Some
guy on the Internet, spots controls on a popular motherboard,
and adds them to his overclocking tool. So rather than
working with everything, or working with ACPI objects to
pass control info, it's just good old fashioned assembler,
and knowledge of specifics in the design. I had one of
those tools for my P4C800-E Deluxe. It worked fine and
was fun to play with, but the board was a poor overclocker.
A guy in Japan got another 500MHz out of his board, by
adding exotic (only in Japan) bypass caps to certain
parts of the design. Things like ceramic caps of large
value (the ones in the catalog that "exist", but we can't
even get samples sent to us in North America). I was impressed
by his effort, but that was more than I was willing to do.
My conclusion from this, is my board wasn't as "deluxe"
as I'd been led to believe. It probably could
have used a re-design.

Paul
Old March 19th 17, 09:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

"Paul" wrote
[...]

Thanks Paul, I've narrowed my search to two old tools that only work on
WinXP to Win7, MemSet41 and CPU-Tweaker. I've copied them to my BartPE
dongle. When it is time, I'll test them on my overclocked 4GB RAM to see if
the RAM voltage really is 1.8V as it should be. I have a quad core Q6600 CPU
which is not really old. If I can see what I need to see, I'll try to fix
the RAM voltage on one RAM module. If that works for a long time, I'll try
plugging in the second 4GB RAM module. If that works, I'll have 8GB RAM,
suitable for the numerous VM's I wish to run. If I cannot boot, I'll go back
to one RAM module and start from scratch.

Old March 19th 17, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
"Paul" wrote
[...]

You should also be looking at the motherboard, find the regulator
chip in the DRAM power section, and get the datasheet for it.
That will tell you some basic things about whether options
are even available to modify the setting.

Some modern chips, have excellent control options.

One I modified here, had a voltage offset pin, specifically
for boosting.

And lesser chips, they have a summing junction, where you can
inject current to modify the output. Some of those designs,
the overclock settings are way off (not regulated very well).

Paul
Old March 20th 17, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

[major snippage]
[...]

For the Intel Q6600, I have downloaded a 30 day trial for Intel's Intel
Vtune Amplifier XE. I have not yet rebooted but the program runs and shows
some info. If I find anything useful I'll post it here.

This URL:
http://ark.intel.com/products/29765/...z-1066-MHz-FSB

says the Q6600 runs at a max 1.5V, so it cannot give 1.8V for RAM. But maybe
an alternative is to provide less aggressive RAM timings.

I still need to boot into BartPE to see if MemSet41 or CPU-Tweaker address
the MOBO.

If you expand this screenshot:
https://images.betanews.com/screensh...52682468-1.jpg

You'll see that CPU-tweaker does not show or modify RAM voltages, only
timings. Maybe underclocking would do the trick.

Old March 20th 17, 09:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
[major snippage]
[...]

You want the product image, on the same web page.

http://ark.intel.com/inc/images/diagrams/diagram-5.gif

On LGA775, the MCH connects to memory, rather than the CPU.
It's the MCH specs you need.

This is an example of an MCH/Northbridge. Because back in the
day, we were still calling them Northbridges.

http://ark.intel.com/products/31919/...ory-Controller

We can then pull the datasheet for that sample MCH.

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/317610.pdf

VCC_DDR
1.8 V DDR2 / 1.5 V DDR3 System Memory
Supply Voltage with respect to VSS
-0.3 min 4.0 V max

The pad drivers (apparently) have a huge range.

Modern CPUs, where there is an IMC (integrated memory controller),
the voltage range is a lot lower. (1.65V max on 1.5V I/O devices.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stub_S...rminated_Logic

http://www.embedded.com/print/4007526

This is a JEDEC block diagram for SSTL_1.8. The VCCQ would
be 1.8V, VTT would be 0.9V, and the requirement for VTT regulator
is that it is push-pull, with current flow as large as a couple
amps (for the entire bus). The average current flow is a lot lower,
so all it needs is a decent sized cap to hold the voltage on the
source of VTT. If the address/control or data bus were to be floated,
the resting voltage is half way between the rails.

https://s17.postimg.org/3miofq03j/sstl_1_8.gif

Paul
Old April 3rd 17, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

[major snippage]
[...]

Now, only tweaking RAM voltage is expeditious. Given that the chips in
question are tiny, I need a circuit diagram for the MCP73VE MOBO and details
on whatever IMC is used. There appears to be two pads for testing voltage in
that area. From the BIOS Setup program, I get information I have not found
at the applications level.

CPU Vcore 1.248V
Chipset Voltage 1.344V

The voltages appear to be lower than specified. The Q6600 works fine, so
there is no need to change its voltage. If the Chipset Voltage of 1.344V is
used by RAM, it is far lower than 1.8V given in the RAM SPD block. One and
only one 4GB RAM module works at the current RAM voltage. With two RAM
sticks installed, the S/N ratio does not make memtest happy. I think it
would be best to increase RAM voltage by only one increment. We don't want
overvoltage on the entire Chipset. It would be self defeating to burn out
the MOBO.

One other problem is that the RAM voltage increment needs to be applied at
the hardware level. It won't work at the application level. First, I should
see if the two pads are voltage test points and test the voltage if the pads
see DC. If so, they could also be used as DC injection points, after a
suitable trace is cut.

Old April 3rd 17, 03:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

[massive snippage]
[...]

Not exactly true. Given the right software for the given IMC, the RAM
voltage increment should be first tested at the application level. Using
F12, boot it something, maybe BartPE and run software for IMC RAM voltage
increment. When we boot into Win10, Win10 doesn't mess with the hardware, it
just uses hardware as given. Maybe later that software could be integrated
into the boot up chain.

This PC is crying out for more RAM. Giving it more RAM is easier and less
expensive than any other option.

Old April 3rd 17, 04:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
[major snippage]
[...]

This is as close as I can get right now, to a block diagram for your board.
The search engine isn't giving me much to work with.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2..._nvidia_mcp73/

Those designs use a single chip for Northbridge and Southbridge. The chip
should have a decent-sized cooler on it, because it's a pretty busy beast.
Underneath the heatsink, is a bare silicon die. If putting the heatsink
back on it, you have to be careful not to tilt the heatsink and
crack the die. Those don't use a shim for safety (like an AthlonXP might).

If the GPU in the Northbridge is being used, that makes it a few watts
warmer when gaming. You might even make it to 15W for a chip like that.

In any case, the memory is not on the processor. No IMC involved.
Just a single chipset chip. The memory runs off that big single chip. The
chip could have 1500 balls on it.

The core (logic gates) of chipsets, run at the lowest voltage on
the board. Around 1V or less. On a chip like that, the core logic
could be drawing 5 amps. They use a low voltage, to try to keep
the power dissipation in bounds. On a 15W chip, you might want a
1 inch high heatsink, with a 40mm fan. Some of the cheesy designs,
don't bother with the fan, and the life of the board can be
extended in cases like that, by using a "blow-down" fan on the CPU.
It helps cool the chipset.

The I/O voltages are going to be higher than that. Chipset chips
have at least five rails connected to them. Since this chip
is a dual one, that only increases the potential number of
supplies on it.

You need to find the regulator next to the DIMMs, get the part number,
and see what you can learn. Just because there is a monitor point,
that's not a good place to be injecting anything.

On some of the chips, there is an actual VID interface. And you load
some ones and zeros on that bus, to set the voltage. That's the
"cadillac" interface. The board would use some GPIOs, and a BIOS
setting would drive out the appropriate number to the VID interface.

If a chip is considered a "fixed" design, you have a couple options.
There is a node called "FB", and you inject a tiny current to offset
the output voltage. If you apply too much, the OVP gets tripped,
and the regulator shuts down.

The other option, is the regulator has a "Boost" terminal, but the
same rules will apply. Too much exuberance on the part of
the user, and it'll shut down.

When I modified the Boost on my Asrock board, I only applied
about 0.1V of offset. There is an equation, relating the resistor
value to ground from Boost, to the amount of output modification.
If I'd doubled the offset, it would probably have tripped the
overvoltage protection.

The node coming from the output of the switcher, has zero output
impedance, and is under closed loop control. The output is "stiff"
and cannot be (easily) steered by injection.

If you manage somehow, to increase the voltage on that node, and
it passes the OVP protection point, they turn on the bottom MOSFET
and clamp the rail to ground. With no injector in place, such a design is
perfectly safe. The upper MOSFET is turned off, the lower one turned
on, the output voltage is zero - this feature exists to prevent
"burning" the customer inserted items, such as RAM or CPU.
The idea is, the motherboard burns (worst case), but the customer
components (RAM and CPU) are saved. But if you inject the node
in question, there will then be a fight between the lower MOSFET
clamping the node to ground, and your fancy injector trying to
raise the node.

I would say a good deal of caution is required. If you're going
to boost, you at least need the datasheet for the regulator.
Any decent "volt modder" knows this. If you don't have a schematic,
at least have a datasheet for each regulator you intend to mod.

In addition, other voltages like Vtt are involved. But I'm
going to pretend for the sake of argument, that the amount
of boost applicable, is too small to bother with tweaking
Vtt or any other voltage for that matter.

Another point is, don't assume the voltage used is 1.8V anyway.
A good designer cheats, and is already using 1.9V
(1.8 plus 5%), bringing the design right up to the JEDEC
limit. Only on server motherboards, do you get strict
religion and exactly 1.8V. You'd be surprised how many
desktop designs are already slightly bumped.

Years ago, on my first motherboard, the motherboard makers
back then were making their own "local 3.3V" supply. Even though
the power supply made 3.3V, these guys were making 3.5V onboard.
I think you can guess why they might do this. Even back then,
they were boosting stuff. It's not clear why they thought this
was necessary - however, the game was up, when you inserted something
like a TNT2, it wanted 6 amps of current from that regulator, and
the regulator was designed for a lot less. You got a black screen
(and the TNT2 was returned for money-back at GameStop :-) ).

Paul