Looking for BIOS Update

Old October 3rd 09, 06:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Boris[_5_]

Default Looking for BIOS Update

I've got P4, E4600, 1.6MHz desktop.

The BIOS is version GB85010A.15A.0044.P12. I'm looking for an update, but
all I can find is the P13 version here.

http://support.gateway.com/support/d...e.asp?id=16167
&dscr=Pentium%204%20BIOS%20update%20GB85010A%20P13 &uid=223985369

Anyone know where I can find the P12 version?

Thanks.
Old October 3rd 09, 06:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Justin Thompson

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 17:06:08 +0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

I've got P4, E4600, 1.6MHz desktop.

The BIOS is version GB85010A.15A.0044.P12. I'm looking for an update, but
all I can find is the P13 version here.

http://support.gateway.com/support/d...e.asp?id=16167
&dscr=Pentium%204%20BIOS%20update%20GB85010A%20P1 3&uid=223985369

Anyone know where I can find the P12 version?

Thanks.

Silly question - im sure - but you say you looking for an update - you
have found an update... but then say you dont want it???

im confused

I cant see any release notes from the link - so not sure what changed
in v13, but in general - you should expect a later version to be
better, more stable, recognise more CPUs etc. so why you not want it?

Cheers
Old October 3rd 09, 07:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Boris[_5_]

Justin Thompson wrote in
:

wrote:

I've got P4, E4600, 1.6MHz desktop.

The BIOS is version GB85010A.15A.0044.P12. I'm looking for an update,
but all I can find is the P13 version here.

http://support.gateway.com/support/d...e.asp?id=16167
&dscr=Pentium%204%20BIOS%20update%20GB85010A%20P 13&uid=223985369

Anyone know where I can find the P12 version?

Thanks.

Silly question - im sure - but you say you looking for an update - you
have found an update... but then say you dont want it???

im confused

I cant see any release notes from the link - so not sure what changed
in v13, but in general - you should expect a later version to be
better, more stable, recognise more CPUs etc. so why you not want it?

Cheers

Hi,

I'm not aware that the P13 version is an update of the P12. I've always
seen updates called out at v.1, v.2, etc. But maybe you're right. I'm
not familiar with how Gateway numbers updates. Are you sure?

Thanks.
Old October 3rd 09, 10:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Boris wrote:
Justin Thompson wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

With the Intel motherboards used in Gateway systems, Gateway follows the
same conventions as Intel does. P13 IS the latest, last and only update
for your Intel D850 motherboard. Note also that the BIOS is slightly
customized, but only with a Gateway identifier. You CANNOT use a
GENERIC BIOS update from the Intel web site for this board... Ben Myers
Old October 4th 09, 05:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Boris[_5_]

Ben Myers wrote in
:

Boris wrote:
Justin Thompson wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Nice to see you, Ben.

I went into the BIOS and read the event log. There was one listing that
said CMOS battery failure, but just one. There were a lot keyboard
failure listings. I don't know why, because the keyboard always came up
fine on the POST screen, and operated properly all the time when in
Windows. But, since the CMOS battery was probably the original battery
from circa 2001, I replaced it, thinking that that might cure my
inability to boot from CD. Nope.

Curiosity got to me, and I decided to clear the BIOS. I did, by removing
the motherboard BIOS jumper, but still no boot from CD.

Finally, I downloaded the BIOS update on the Gateway site. I was running
with version P12, and the newest version was P13, dated August 2001. I
had to put it on a FAT floppy (not NT), and the instructions said to boot
from this floppy. When I tried, I got invalid BOOT diskette, insert
proper diskette in A. Oh, no. I used the Win98SE floppy to boot up the
machine into DOS, and then removed the Win98SE floppy, and inserted the
BIOS 'boot' disk. I logged on to it, and clicked on the autoexec.bat on
the floppy. The BIOS update program came up, and I installed the update
successfully. When the update was completed, the instructions on screen
were to remove the floppy and press enter, and the machine was supposed
to reboot. I'm not sure how this was supposed to happen, since the
machine was set to boot from floppy, and there would be no floppy in the
machine. But I removed the boot floppy, and pressed enter. The screen
said no operating system found on C (normally it would say invalid BOOT
diskette if there's no floppy in A, and set to boot from floppy). I had
to press the power button off, and restart into the BIOS (keeping my
fingers crossed the BIOS upgrade worked -- it did report BIOS versin
P13), and set to boot from the hard drive. I did, and it booted up just
fine. I then restarted and set to boot from CD, but it still wouldn't
boot from the XP CD. Oh, well. I tried. I'm calling it quits trying to
solve this. It may be a hardware problem that I just can't diagnose, and
it's not all the important. The only time I'd need to start from CD is
if I was going to do a clean install. Maybe I'll just make an image of
the system before I gunk it up too much. Oh, wonder if I have to be able
to boot from CD to install an image.

By the way, I just installed a Linksys WMP54G wireless adapter card in
the machine. I didn't use the Linksys install CD, but instead let
Windows install it's native drivers and networking interface. It works
just fine, with excellent signal strength. Previously, I had it
connected to a D-link wireless router, but sitting right next to the
router connected with an ethernet cable. I was going to run ethernet
into the garage, which is the final destination for this machine, but I
thought I'd try a wireless card. I hope the signal is still good when I
move it into the gargage, about 30' away. We'll see. If not, I'll run
ethernet. (I don't mind running the cable, I just hate putting the
connectors on. My eyes aren't what they used to be g.)

Here are the items that the update addressed, per the readme.txt file
within the update folder:

Reason for Update

Option to enable or disable the ISA Enable Bit on PCI bridges.
Adds D-stepping core support for latest generation processors.
Adds WFM 2.0 Remote Lockout support.
Adds support for the Security Freeze Lock command on resume from S3 to
IDE devices that support the Security feature set.
Adds workaround for Windows 98 SE issue where ATAPI devices are not
reprogrammed on resume from Suspend-to-RAM (S3).
Implements Force Network Boot feature that allows users to force the
computer to start to network by pressing a hot key.
Fixes issue where the computer was always reporting 80-conductor IDE
cable type (regardless of actual cable type) when certain ATAPI devices
were connected as the slave device on an IDE channel.
Adds support for PCI IDE Bus Mastering (DMA) for BIOS INT 13h hard disk
reads and writes on IDE devices that support IDE Bus Mastering.
Adds Mode 5 (UDMA/100) option to the IDE UDMA Mode.
Corrects functionality of IDE PIO Mode.
Fixes issue where BIOS was incorrectly reporting UDMA modes on IDE
devices that do not support UDMA.
Sets ISA ENABLE bits on PCI bridges that do not have VGA behind them.
Adds support for doing 32-bit IDE PIO mode data transfers inside BIOS INT
13h.
Fixes issue where ATAPI Removable Devices that support UDMA modes were
not getting programmed for UDMA mode.
Updates the display of the processor BIOS update information to account
for the new naming convention.
Adds the display of UDMA mode for ARMD.
Sets Wake on Modem Ring default to Power On.
Fixes an issue where the Fault Tolerant Boot Block Test would fail and
not be able to boot if ECC was enabled during the test.
Fixes the incorrect display of hard disk drive capacity for larger hard
disk drives.

Boris
Old October 4th 09, 08:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Boris wrote:
Ben Myers wrote in
:

Boris wrote:
Justin Thompson wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Did you change the boot order priority in the last screen of the BIOS
CMOS setup to boot first from CD, then from floppy, and then from hard
disk? If so, the computer should boot from CD. If not, pressing F12
with a modern BIOS gets it to present a choice of boot devices, from
which you select one... Ben Myers
Old October 4th 09, 10:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"Ben Myers" snip

Did you change the boot order priority in the last screen of the BIOS
CMOS setup to boot first from CD, then from floppy, and then from hard
disk? If so, the computer should boot from CD. If not, pressing F12
with a modern BIOS gets it to present a choice of boot devices, from
which you select one... Ben Myers

F10 on my Gateway brings up the boot menu. F12 tries to do a network book.

SC Tom

Old October 5th 09, 04:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

SC Tom wrote:

"Ben Myers" snip

Did you change the boot order priority in the last screen of the BIOS
CMOS setup to boot first from CD, then from floppy, and then from hard
disk? If so, the computer should boot from CD. If not, pressing F12
with a modern BIOS gets it to present a choice of boot devices, from
which you select one... Ben Myers

F10 on my Gateway brings up the boot menu. F12 tries to do a network book.

SC Tom

Good enough. There is no standard function key for changing the boot
device after POST. I'm accustomed to F12 from working with Dell systems
and Intel motherboards a lot lately... Ben Myers
Old October 6th 09, 04:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Boris[_5_]

Ben Myers wrote in
:

Boris wrote:
Ben Myers wrote in
:

Boris wrote:
Justin Thompson wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Yes, set it up just like you described. No luck.

F12 gets me nothing.

F8 gets me the Troubleshooting and Advanced Startup screen with Start Up
options, as it should, such as Safe Mode, Enable Boot Logging, Debugging
Mode, etc.

F10 is weird. It gets me the BIOS screen, with the a message as if I've
just made changes to the BIOS settings, "Do you want to save changes and
exit?"

F1 gets me the BIOS setup screen, as it should.

By the way, when the machine boots up, it never shows "Hit F8 for Boot
Options", or "Hit F1 for Setup" in the upper right hand corner, even if I
have it set to go through the long POST, where it shows everything it
finds as it boots up. The long boot does show that it found the CD-ROM
when set to boot from CD-ROM.

I think the book is closed on trying to get this to boot from CD-ROM.
Old October 6th 09, 05:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Boris wrote:
Ben Myers wrote in
:

Boris wrote:
Ben Myers wrote in
:

Boris wrote:
Justin Thompson wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Maybe the CD-ROM drive is bad? The Intel D850 motherboards are new
enough that they should allow booting from CD-ROM. Most any P4 system
can, and even some P3 systems... Ben

A7V (rev 1.02) BIOS Update & 48-bit/LBA ? tbl Asus Motherboards 1 November 11th 06 01:21 PM
GA-k8NXP-9 BIOS update failed - BIOS Write Protection Error! Heribert Huber Gigabyte Motherboards 4 August 18th 05 11:33 PM
Update VGA bios TaSoS General 4 January 5th 05 11:27 AM
Bios update? philo Homebuilt PC's 14 January 22nd 04 02:04 AM
My computer cant update ESCD at startup! I can't Flash the bios update! Iorón:rote Asus Motherboards 0 January 19th 04 01:29 AM