P5WDH Deluxe, E8500, PC 6400 DDR2

Old August 17th 08, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Norbert Wenkel

Default P5WDH Deluxe, E8500, PC 6400 DDR2

Dear Reader,

after i exchanged my E6400 CPU with an E8500 the P5WDH board is not able
to boot correctly using the PC6400 mode when i changed the DDR2 timing
to 5 5 5 18 6 memory mode and increase the voltage to 2.0V. Without
changing the DDR2, meaning set it to spd timing, the board boots up
showing the PC 5300 mode.
I?m using MDT 800 cl5 DDR2 memory.
i?m using the latest bios version.

Any hints how to set up the bios values correct are very wellcome

Kind regards

Norbert
Old August 17th 08, 09:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
William

"Norbert Wenkel" wrote in message
Dear Reader,

after i exchanged my E6400 CPU with an E8500 the P5WDH board is not able
to boot correctly using the PC6400 mode when i changed the DDR2 timing to
5 5 5 18 6 memory mode and increase the voltage to 2.0V. Without changing
the DDR2, meaning set it to spd timing, the board boots up showing the PC
5300 mode.
I?m using MDT 800 cl5 DDR2 memory.
i?m using the latest bios version.

Any hints how to set up the bios values correct are very wellcome

Kind regards

Norbert

I have the same board and ran into the same problem when I upgraded my
E6600. Interestingly enough I forgot to check if the bios wound support my
new CPU, an E6850, and booted the computer with the old bios. Everything
went OK except I got a notice during boot sequence that the microcode did
not support the new CPU, but everything ran OK.

I didn't want to see the microcode notice and have to click past it, so I
upgraded the bios. After doing this the computer booted without the
microcode notice, but my ram was running in PC5300 mode. Checking out the
bios, I found the ram setting for the voltage had changed to default 1.8
volts, too low for my Crucial Ballistic PC6400 cl4 ram. I set the voltage
to 2.1 volts left spd timing alone and rebooted without problems. The ram is
rated for 2.2volts.

I am not familiar with MDT ram and are not sure what voltage range you can
try. CL5 is a bit slow for this board and this board is notorious for being
unforgiving on the type of ram it runs with. You may need to upgrade to CL4
ram, or perhaps you may get lucky using a slightly higher voltage - perhaps
~2.05v. Be sure to look into the specifications on the ram to see what you
can use safely.

If you haven't visited ASUS' forum on the P5W DH Deluxe yet, I would suggest
you do. See it at:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...uag e=en-usIt has much information on cpu's and ram combinations, bios versions andmuch more.William