Why Pentium?

Old July 3rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Don Freeman

Default Why Pentium?

"Don Burnette" wrote in message

"Bazzer Smith" wrote in message

"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep

If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central
heating
system.

Hmm, running Athlon XP64 4400+ dual core here, did not have to bother
installing a central heating system, runs great and cool!

Go figure,
Don

..

Silly me, I thought he meant that they didn't have to install a central
heading system for the building as the Pentium could serve double duty.

-Don (another one)

Old July 3rd 06, 06:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
John Weiss

"Talal Itani" wrote...

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
their purchases.

Not necessarily. Businesses often choose based on perceived risk; Intel is
better known and has larger market share, so it must be less risky. Also,
some may have long memories about early AMD CPUs and their incompatibilities
and performance problems.

Those problems are far behind AMD. Their CPUs are more than competitive
with Intel -- Intel is now scrambling to catch up!

Old July 3rd 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Bioboffin

Bazzer Smith wrote:
"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is
the case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not
Athlon based PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons
of a product before they make their purchases. Thank you for
clarifying this for me.

If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central
heating system.

This was once the case. I always buy Intel, and I can tell you that the last
dual core processor at 3.2Ghz runs quite hot. In my case with aftermarket
(Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 pro) cooling, I have 50 degrees Celsius (almost
regardless of the ambient temperature).

John

Old July 3rd 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
George Macdonald

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 14:45:00 GMT, "Talal Itani" wrote:

Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Nope most businesses do less research on computer purchasing than gamers
and other individuals do. They choose a brand name, like Dell or HP,
negotiate a purchasing deal, usually for volume, and buy them like cookies.
They tend to like all the client systems to be identical in chipset
characteristics to minimize the number of system install images IT dept.
needs to manage. IOW the inertia is high so change is seldom contemplated.

Things are changing though and AMD is getting a foothold due to superior
thermal characteristics, especially for servers where upgrading requires
consideration of power load and A/C load for a glasshouse. See this
article http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...sts-green.html
on 2nd page. Unfortunately this AMD advantage is about to be wiped out by
the latest Core 2 Xeon 5100 series Intel CPUs which have much better energy
and thermal footprint than previous P4-based Xeons.

Right now, Intel is in changeover and Xeon 5100 series servers are just
appearing, while Core 2 desktop systems are due in a few weeks. What you
buy depends on whether you want to wait or get a good price on a current
system - personally I'd go for the AMD system right now.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old July 3rd 06, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
kony

wrote:

Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

T.I.

The answer is simple, like you many management types have no
idea which is the better choice but know the Intel name
better. Past business buying habits resulted in a trend to
buy Intel and although AMD gained substantial ground in
performance more recently, such brand preferences take
longer to change, particularly when these businesses tend to
buy volumes of systems, packages put together under
assumptions by OEMs that the businesses still preferred AMD.

Another way to look at it is the most businesses don't have
"new" systems. Their last site-wide upgrade cycle may have
been before AMD took the lead with Athlon64 or at least
before those platforms became mature and best benefit:cost
ratio.. Businessess tend to like mature and static
platforms, not buying the latest new technology for a
performance advantage except where there is a clear
correlation between performance and productivity- which
there typically isn't today, for most business uses the user
is the bottleneck, not the system.
Old July 3rd 06, 10:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
kony

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 19:18:37 GMT, "Bioboffin"
wrote:

Bazzer Smith wrote:
"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is
the case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not
Athlon based PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons
of a product before they make their purchases. Thank you for
clarifying this for me.

If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central
heating system.

This was once the case. I always buy Intel, and I can tell you that the last
dual core processor at 3.2Ghz runs quite hot. In my case with aftermarket
(Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 pro) cooling, I have 50 degrees Celsius (almost
regardless of the ambient temperature).

Yes, Bazzer Smith seems to merely be repeating hearsay. For
years the hotter platform depended on the use and specific
model in the CPU family chosen. There is one particular
model of CPU with a horrible performance:watt beyond what is
reasonable for air-cooling a quiet system- Prescott. Intel
holds this honor and may until the end of time. Even if
Intel or AMD produces a future CPU with the same heat, it
will have higher performance:watt and the user can simply
select lower than the highest speed range in the particular
CPU family for lower heat.
Old July 3rd 06, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Jack F. Twist

"Talal Itani" wrote in message news:M3aqg.1208$543.1165@trnddc04...
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Primarily because of pathetic chipsets (e.g. VIA, Apollo etc),
for many years running AMD systems meant constant
compatibility problems, waiting for chipset and driver updates
etc etc. The situation has improved over the last few years
but most large companies are still gun shy.

By the way, Conroe is looking like it'll be the new preferred
platform. Intel is finally taking back its former position as
performance leader.

Old July 3rd 06, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mark Mandell

"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Bazzer Smith wrote:
[...]

Similar situation to my 2.8 Ghz Pentium D dual core which seldom runs below
50 degrees unless the room temperature is cool via my air conditioning being
on long enough.

Mark

Old July 3rd 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan

Talal Itani wrote:
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Most businesses don't really have any choice about which processors they
buy. They buy from a computer manufacturer, which in the past has had an
exclusive marketing deal with Intel to only sell their processors to
businesses. The marketing deals are usually worth millions of dollars to
these companies and could mean the difference between making a profit or
a loss in a particular quarter.

Yousuf Khan
Old July 4th 06, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

Talal Itani wrote:
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

T.I.

Intel and AMD both make excellent chips. Business have historicly
chosen Intel because of heat and stability issues, plus most business
apps don't demand the performance of Athlons. But AMD has been gaining
ground in the Business market. I would not disrecommend either
processor.

Stay away from VIA processors, they do not perform. They're energy
efficient, and require minimal cooling, and they're cheap, but if you
have real work to be done, stay away.

If you want a good, reliable machine, go with Dell, or have one built.
Avoid Emachines.