Telepath for Windows with X2 modem

Old June 18th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Default Telepath for Windows with X2 modem

Hi, I recently helped a friend get a G6-233 back on its feet by
reformatting its hard drive and reinstalling Windows 98 SE. I then
installed the V.90 upgrade (75022725v.exe) for its modem, a Telepath for
Windows with X2, model 6000728.

He dials in to a local university account to access the web and to Juno
for his e-mail. When he connects, he gets almost 51K connections.
However, at times the modem will start to dial, then just drop out. He
then has to totally shut down and then restart his computer one or two
times to get the modem to make a successful connection. Any suggestions
on what I need to do to give him more regular connects? Thanks,

John Hale
Old June 18th 06, 01:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Wow, this goes back a few years for me.

Possible causes:

1. Bad telephone wiring on premises.
2. Bad wall jack.
3. Bad cable from computer to wall jack.
4. Faulty modem.
5. Incorrect software drivers for modem.

.... Ben Myers

Old June 18th 06, 12:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

6. Phone company equipment. I once had a similar problem and the phone
company tracked it down to the use of a particular kind of switching box
they called a "slick-something" (it has been a few years). It was used
to add more connections without running more lines. When I was lucky
enough to not connect through this piece of equipment I would get a very
clear 51k connection. When I connected through one of the added lines,
it would be very unreliable. I seem to remember that slowing down the
connection to 48k helped, but it never really went away until we moved.

Old June 18th 06, 05:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Thanks for everyone's response. The bad lines, etc., scenario is
probably the case for him. Although he is in an Indianapolis suburb,
his number still doesn't qualify for DSL, suggesting at least a
line-degrading distance from the central office. My modem skills are
rusty, how do I slow his modem down to 48,000, that suggestion might help.

Old June 18th 06, 09:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:22:23 +0000, John Hale wrote:

Many years ago, when I worked for Bell Tel. we began using slic
connections to expand telephone service in newly developing areas without
building additional cable facilities. The concentrator used 4 pairs of
wire to provide service to 96 (I think) customers.

When I moved to Colorado I fell into the slic arrangement and had to live
with 26 kb speeds until the local cable company made wide band available.
You may have to go down considerably below 48kb to get reliable if
frustrating service.

Old June 21st 06, 02:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Thanks

Old October 16th 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Thomas Callaghan

I know this is old stuff, but I've been kicking my G6 around since 98 with a
PN6000728 X2 modem, PN6000566 Enq sound card and MegaPhone (which I love)
telephony software. Before we moved I always connected at 52+kbs and had few
problems, bur then in the new(brand new condo) I had all kinds of problems
with 28.8 kbs connections and associated computer hardware. I suspected the
sound card, the modem, and the software. Even bought replacement OEM modem
and sound cards and played switcheroo till I don't know which are installed,
but I think the original cards are back in the box. I installed the driver
quoted here xxx 7502725V, which really isn't designed for the Gateway
Telepath modem part, but I did get 44kbs connections. Still it took a long
time to boot, 3 minutes and going to different web pages was slow and
tedious. Finally, I fdisk, reformated, reinstalled W98SE and all my
software, including Office 2000 Professional, but DISCONNECTED the phone I
had in the system and voila! Everything works with the correct modem driver,
V90 upgrade for the Telepath modem from www.gw2k.com. The telephony
software works fine and the computer is faster than ever in all respects.
Now the bad news. The modem shows connect speed of 28.8kbs, but the computer
is faster as it ever was and I'm happy.

in message om...
Thanks

Old October 16th 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

I think I would talk to the condo management and tell them flat out that the
phone lines inside the condo are substandard. The phone company is capable of
testing the entire phone line, and the electrician who wired the inside of the
condo needs to look at the quality of the phone wiring job.

If you have two or more phone jacks, what happens when you plug the computer
into a different phone jack?

Is it possible where you live to get either cable internet or DSL at a
reasonable price? ... Ben Myers

DSL modem warning! Jim Hubbard General 2 June 13th 06 06:12 PM
suspect "external" modem is really internal modem sharon Homebuilt PC's 3 December 9th 04 05:32 PM
NTL to PC and Xbox Scott Homebuilt PC's 8 September 14th 04 09:53 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman Homebuilt PC's 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM