USB Hard Dive Activity

Old April 6th 17, 10:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default USB Hard Dive Activity

I powered on my backup 1TB hard drive this AM after not using it for a
few days, and I noticed it stayed acrive for a good 15 minutes with
its blue LED flashing, and making noise. Now it is quiet.
Why was that? Curious.
Johnny
Old April 6th 17, 12:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
I powered on my backup 1TB hard drive this AM after not using it for a
few days, and I noticed it stayed acrive for a good 15 minutes with
its blue LED flashing, and making noise. Now it is quiet.
Why was that? Curious.
Johnny

And the name of your "real-time AV" is ?

And its policy towards freshly mounted storage is ? Scan ?
Scan when you execute an EXE ? Ignore ?

Does the partition have an autorun policy ?

Does the top level have a lot of videos, requiring
that Explorer prepare thumbnails of the videos ?
And place the thumbnails so representative icons
are present on the drive ? And an entry in "desktop.ini"
indicates a "video view" should be used with the folder ?

Make sure autoplay and/or autorun are disabled on the
OS, as they're a potential malware vector.

I'm sure you can think of a few things.

If you're running Everything.exe search program, perhaps
it just generated a search index ? Most of the time is
spent collecting file size info - collecting names only
takes two seconds. But the file sizes require scanning
the whole disk.

While the OS may have a scheduled defragmentation, it's
not likely this happened to trip when you plugged in.
I've not seen that happen with USB disks.

The most likely answer is your AV.

Paul