SpyBot 4.0/Hosts File?

Old June 16th 05, 01:50 AM
Leanin' Cedar

Default SpyBot 4.0/Hosts File?

Just upgraded to SpyBot Version 4.0.3 (Build 363) , as soon as it loaded
I got an error "hosts file is too large"

Did about an hour of Google, and am more confused than I was when I started.

I am also running WinPatrol v. 9.1

1. Is it time to panic.

2. In Winpatrol options tab, I have ticked Detect Changes to Internet
Explorer Home and Search Pages, and Warn if changes are made to my HOSTS
file. I also have ticked lock HOSTS file. Is all OK at this point?

3. In all of the google searches there seemed to be a lot of info about
deleting the host file, uninstall SpyBot, clear the host file etc. etc. This
seems like it is a bit over the top.

4. Should I try to uninstall the update, and go back to the previous version
and wait for SpyBot to fix this?

5. It seems some users replace there hosts file by using a download. Is this
advisable?

6. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Bob

Old June 16th 05, 04:33 AM
Nicholas Andrade

Leanin' Cedar wrote:

[...]

Well first off, how large of a file is your hosts file? By default it
is located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. You may want to
rename that file to say hosts.bak and create a new file with the
following contents: 127.0.0.1 localhost

I'm presuming you are on a home machine and don't rely on your hosts
file for any particular app.
Old June 16th 05, 05:31 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

Well first off, how large of a file is your hosts file? By default it is
located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. You may want to rename
that file to say hosts.bak and create a new file with the following
contents: 127.0.0.1 localhost

I'm presuming you are on a home machine and don't rely on your hosts file
for any particular app.

while my home network has its own DNS, I still have a massive hosts file.
Its there incase the popup blockers dont do thier job, which occasionally
happens. Everything in there points to 127.0.0.1

tedious at times, but useful.

- NuTs

Old June 16th 05, 07:07 AM
Nicholas Andrade

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
Well first off, how large of a file is your hosts file? By default it is
located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. You may want to rename
that file to say hosts.bak and create a new file with the following
contents: 127.0.0.1 localhost

I'm presuming you are on a home machine and don't rely on your hosts file
for any particular app.

while my home network has its own DNS, I still have a massive hosts file.
Its there incase the popup blockers dont do thier job, which occasionally
happens. Everything in there points to 127.0.0.1

tedious at times, but useful.

- NuTs

I do that for big offenders, but in general between Mozilla and AdBlock
it's not much of an issue. I do use a few URL shortcuts for when I ssh
into my school's mail server, etc.
Old June 16th 05, 11:06 AM
Leanin' Cedar

"Nicholas Andrade" wrote in message
om...
Well first off, how large of a file is your hosts file? By default it is
located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. You may want to rename
that file to say hosts.bak and create a new file with the following
contents: 127.0.0.1 localhost

I'm presuming you are on a home machine and don't rely on your hosts file
for any particular app.

Yes, I am on a home machine and only user.

I have the following;
hosts 49KB 4/16/2005 2:53 AM
hosts.20040721-085236.backup 1KB 8/18/2001 5:00 AM
hosts.20050416-025318.backup 49KB 2/23/2005 7:22 PM
Imhosts.sam 4KB 8/18/2001 5:00 AM
networks 1KB 8/18/2001 5:00 AM
protocol 1KB 8/18/2001 5:00 AM
services 7KB 12/15/2003 6:12 PM

the first few entries in the hosts file
127.0.0.1 localhost
# start of entries inserted by spybot - search & destroy
127.0.0.1 coolwwwsearch.com
127.0.0.1 coolwebsearch.com
everything is preceded by 127.0.0.1

Bob

Old June 16th 05, 03:07 PM
Quaoar

Leanin' Cedar wrote:
[...]

You have too many programs that modify the hosts file, IMO. SpyBot,
when Immunizing your computer, inserts its current list of bad actors
into the hosts file; presumably all of your other programs do the same.
The result is an ever-growing list containing many duplicates supplied
by several different programs. Not only that, but SpyBot has the same
functionality (presumably) as WinPatrol. You should review your need
for duplication of effort.

If I were you, I would rename the current hosts file and decide to use
one reputable monitoring program to control it. SpyBot would be my
choice (Immunize) with downloading a pre-built hosts from a reputable
source as second. Frankly, I would dump WinPatrol in favor of SpyBot
since WP simply duplicates SB's functionality.

Software firewalls normally contain popup blocking capability. The
hosts file, IMO, is the wrong source for popup control. There is no
humanly possible way to keep on top of the ever-changing URL's used by
popups. I would never run without a software firewall of some repute.
I use Outpost, but there are many other decent firewalls.

Old June 16th 05, 04:35 PM
Leanin' Cedar

"Quaoar" wrote in message
Leanin' Cedar wrote:

[...]

Something for me to consider. My understanding was that spybot updated the
host file, and winpatrol was simply trying to alert me if something was
changing the hosts file.

I believe the problem is based in the new version of SpySweeper, since there
was not any error message about the hosts file being too large before the
new version. but that is why I am trying to gather info.

Does WinPatrol update the host file, or just monitor it?

Thanks for any help
Bob

Old June 18th 05, 04:55 AM
Quaoar

Leanin' Cedar wrote:
"Quaoar" wrote in message
Leanin' Cedar wrote:

[...]

I don't know about WinPatrol, but now you've mentioned Spy Sweeper also.
I would dump all but Spybot (it can lock your hosts file, lock out
browser hijacks), and get a NAT router with Stateful Packet Inspection
and other security even if you have only one computer. It will be much
simpler and far easier to control.

Old June 18th 05, 07:30 AM
Hank Arnold

You are the first person I've heard to recommend a single program to combat
Spy/Malware.... Everyone else (and I mean *everyone* else) will tell you
that no single package can deal with all the spyware out there.....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old June 18th 05, 12:36 PM
Leanin' Cedar

"Hank Arnold" wrote in message
You are the first person I've heard to recommend a single program to
combat Spy/Malware.... Everyone else (and I mean *everyone* else) will
tell you that no single package can deal with all the spyware out
there.....

That was sort of my feeling also. Every site I have visited recommends
running at least three.
I keep SpySweeper and WinPatrol running in the background plus ZA Pro and
NAV.
I have been fortunate so far no virus, trojans and very little spyware gets
through. Plus I do a full sweep and updates every week with Ad-Aware, Hijack
This, SpySweeper, Spybot and update spywareblaster.
Call me paranoid LOL

Use Firefox for most of my browsing, and have activeX etc shutdown with ZA.
A few sites need activeX or Java and I allow this per site with ZA

The only problem is with the host file report with spysweeper and WinPatrol
is set to warn of changes to that.

Bob

Bob

Spybot 4.0/Hosts File Leanin' Cedar Dell Computers 0 June 16th 05 01:44 AM
writing cd`s biggmark Cdr 7 December 31st 04 08:57 AM
Could not perform fixation? Princess Morgiah Cdr 8 June 27th 04 02:30 AM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
Help! - The dreaded buffer underrun XPG Cdr 5 August 31st 03 06:27 PM