Win98 fresh intall ... can't access windows update site

Old November 8th 03, 01:25 AM
hiphop

Default Win98 fresh intall ... can't access windows update site

I've been experiencing problems that I couldn't debug so I decided to
format. I've formatted this drive a few times over the years and did
everything I always did before. I got my ISP up and running but I am unable
to get to the windows update site. I'm getting a msgbox error that says

Internet Explorer Script Error
an error has occured on the script on this page

line 25
chr 2
error: snytax error

line 25 of the client side generated code is the word "try" within some java
tags.

i've clicked yes to continue using the page anyways but the update site
isn't loading. I'm assuming that it has something to do with the old
version of IE that comes defult with win98, but I never had this problem
before. Can anyone suggest something ? I tried to run the IE5.5 installer
but its not working...its slow and then it stops saying the file could not
properly be downloaded. I'm wondering if microsoft pulled 5.5 completly....

Please help
-hh

Old November 8th 03, 01:43 AM
hiphop

I should add that its IE4.0.
Its set to Low security, active X is enabled and java script is also
enabled.
file download is also enabled.
-hh

Old November 8th 03, 02:11 AM
-= Ratz O. Fratzo =-

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:43:17 -0500, "hiphop"
wrote:

I should add that its IE4.0.
Its set to Low security, active X is enabled and java script is also
enabled.
file download is also enabled.

Download and install IE6 first.

"http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/download.asp"

*´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·- Ratz O. Fratzo
Old November 8th 03, 02:14 AM
hiphop

Well,
after some searching I found a link for IE6 sp1 that would dl from
microsoft.com without the script error. So i'm currently dling updates...I
guess I fixed my own problem =)

To anyone who read this... Do you know why IE5.5 was pulled ? The dl
program stops at 1039kb everytime. Even after deleting update folders and
whatnot.... I liked my 5.5.

-hh

Old November 8th 03, 02:36 AM
kony

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:25:32 -0500, "hiphop"
wrote:

[...]

Don't know about the error message, but you may have a CD lying around
with IE 5.5 on it, for example an MSN internet CD sent in the mail?
A "full package" of IE 5.5 might be upwards of 78MB though, a bit
large to download on dialup, though I don't know how little it might
actually take to go from IE 4 to 5.5, maybe only 28MB of files.

Do you have a CD with v5.5 on it?
Are you willing to download 76MB worth of file(s) if you knew where to
find them (hint) ?

Dave