Networking XP (Pro) and 98(SE)

Old February 26th 04, 02:30 AM
Cerridwen

Default Networking XP (Pro) and 98(SE)

I've been tearing my hair out with this all evening. Thanks to Kony for
getting my P3 box up and running, I now want to network them. Said box is
now running 98, and I want to network it to my system. When they were both
running XP, it worked no problem. But, I have decided to turn the P3 into a
retro gaming box, so I installed 98. Now they're not speaking to each
other - I have run the Network Setup Wizard on both systems until I'm blue
in the face, they both have o/b NICs and are connected by a CAT5 crossover
cable - and they both have static IPs. Please bear in mind that I'm a
complete neophyte when it comes to networking and cannot go much beyond
setting bog standard static IPs (just the usual 192.168.0.x). I've tried
pinging and they're both sulking!

OK, partially disregard the above. The 98 box is talking to the XP box and I
can access the XP box from the 98 box fine. The odd thing is, when I ping
the 98 box from the XP box the results are rather odd - every result is
0ms(min/max/ave)! If it can ping it (there is no packet loss) then why can't
I access it from my system?!

I cannot afford to spend any money on new cards/routers/switch boxes or
anything else (I was going to buy a KVM switch - but the cheapest I could
find was £120!). It would be useful to have to save swapping boards and mice
all the time (the 'V' isn't so important as the monitor is dual output
anyway), but not at that price!

I have just run the XP NSW on the 98 box again and it errored out (cannot
complete the NSW).

What do I have to do to enable the XP box to talk to the 98?! In desperation
I even installed NetBEUI (which is unsupported under XP) but I had to remove
it as XP BSOD'ed.

HELP!!

Old February 26th 04, 02:46 AM
Cerridwen

Cerridwen wrote:
[...]

Scrub that - now the 98 system isn't talking to the XP!! GRR!! I just want a
simple P2P network! It ain't rocket science!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH H!!!

Old February 26th 04, 06:14 AM
jona

"Cerridwen" wrote in message
Cerridwen wrote:
I've been tearing my hair out with this all evening. Thanks to Kony
for getting my P3 box up and running, I now want to network them.

snip
Scrub that - now the 98 system isn't talking to the XP!! GRR!! I just want

simple P2P network! It ain't rocket science!

I've been through this dilemma many times and somehow have never
documented a step by step way to do it right first time. That's mainly
because I never get it right first time .... There are a few things you
don't mention like wireless? ICS?, but assuming you're familiar with
all the standard networking protocols and settings, here are some tips .....

a) Though XP doesn't prompt you to, reboot it to secure changed settings.
It's a schlepp but on more than one occasion the plan came together
after that. Esp when working wireless.
b) Don't bother with the network diskette either OS recommends you need
to install on the other machine.
c) If you've lost track of all the back and forth settings, pinging, etc,
etc,
dump both networks and start from scratch. Do the XP box first and then
set the 98 box to 'auto IP address'.

I have a XP, 2K & 98SE network setup at home so if you need specific
settings feel free to email me.

Cheers

Old February 26th 04, 12:15 PM
Cerridwen

jona wrote:
"Cerridwen" wrote in message
Cerridwen wrote:
[...]

Erm, on-board NICs and a crossover cable - what does that tell you? ;o)

How do I start over - you mean uninstall both cards and reinstall? I really
do need an idiot's guide - as I said, I'm a complete neophyte when it comes
to networking. Even more so as my head is completely clogged up with the
worst cold in living memory!

There was one issue I did have with setting an auto IP under XP, and that
was it would hang for anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes at logon - obviously
attempting to negotiate a mutually agreeable protocol. Also, if I clicked on
'show network connections' it would take almost the same length of time to
show me the connected computers, so I could access the drives. The odd thing
was, if I mapped the drives I could access them as easily as if they were
local.

I would, obviously, like to have a flawless network with no lags - the
machines are capable. Mine is a P4 3.2 HT, 1GB RAM and 400GB and the other
is a P3 with 256MB and 40GB.

Any more hints would be most gratefully received!

Thanks

Old February 27th 04, 10:51 PM
notritenotteri

my guess is your caught up in the "security "issues of Xp or you don't
have networking installed at either end correctly You need to run as
an administrator on XP and set shares etc. I don't know about 98
though any reports I've heard say bury it as fast as you can. I've
run Xp to 95 but it took a while to set up the software to have them
to talk to each other.

Old February 27th 04, 11:23 PM
bearman

"Cerridwen" wrote in message
[...]

Setting up my network was severely hampered by a Zone Alarm setting.
Disabled Zone Alarm and it worked. Then re-enabled ZA and set the thing to
see the other computer.

Bearman

Old February 29th 04, 03:13 PM
notritenotteri

You can jiggle ZA to allow communications you just have to feed it the
IP address of the other guy(s). ZA will also prevent you from sharing
printers, Cameras etc etc if its not set right.
LOL