After flashing my BIOS to 1011, my MB is dead

Old July 19th 04, 08:24 AM
Hello

Default After flashing my BIOS to 1011, my MB is dead

I used the ASUSUpdate windows tool to update my A7V8X-X's BIOS and it failed
during Checksum verification after it flashed my BIOS. Now the computer is
totally DEAD. I can't even boot to floppy to re-flash my BIOS.

What can I do other than buy a new motherboard? Any help would be
appreciated. Also, why doesn't the CrashFree BIOS kicking in? It's suppose
to allow me to recover from BAD bios flashes.

Thanx in advance.

Old July 19th 04, 09:43 AM
rstlne

"Hello" wrote in message
I used the ASUSUpdate windows tool to update my A7V8X-X's BIOS and it

failed
during Checksum verification after it flashed my BIOS. Now the computer

is
totally DEAD. I can't even boot to floppy to re-flash my BIOS.

What can I do other than buy a new motherboard? Any help would be
appreciated. Also, why doesn't the CrashFree BIOS kicking in? It's

suppose
to allow me to recover from BAD bios flashes.

Thanx in advance.

You need to read about upgrading your bios..
If it fail'd checksum verification then that means you needed to reflash
either the old bios or try the new one again (but I think you restarted your
pc to just see if it would be okay)

The CrashFree Bios doesnt just "kick in"..
Go Read about it..
It's Just as easy to do but you need to read how to do it.

Old July 19th 04, 11:08 AM
Paul

In article zGKKc.55717$Mr4.17026@pd7tw1no, "Hello" wrote:

I used the ASUSUpdate windows tool to update my A7V8X-X's BIOS and it failed
during Checksum verification after it flashed my BIOS. Now the computer is
totally DEAD. I can't even boot to floppy to re-flash my BIOS.

What can I do other than buy a new motherboard? Any help would be
appreciated. Also, why doesn't the CrashFree BIOS kicking in? It's suppose
to allow me to recover from BAD bios flashes.

Thanx in advance.

First of all, the flash isn't monolithic and made with just one piece
of code in it. It stores a number of pieces of information, but I'll
concentrate on the code portion.

There are two chunks of code. One chunk is called the Boot Block, the
other chunk is the Main BIOS Code. The Boot Block is the home of the
Crashfree routine, plus enough code to boot from a floppy, but perhaps
without the ability to drive an AGP video card.

There are several flashing methods for flashing a BIOS chip, and all
of them probably have some option to flash the Boot Block or the
Main BIOS code. However, if you say "Yes" to updating the Boot Block,
then if the Boot Block gets corrupted, then Crashfree won't work any
more. So, Crashfree is only available if you are flashing the Main
BIOS code (yes, this is stupid - Gigabyte fixes this with their Dual
BIOS chip solution).

In some of their updates, Asus gives special instructions for flashing
the BIOS, and what the special instructions or special tool (wrapper
script) are doing, is causing the Boot Block to get flashed. Any time
Asus does this, they are removing your "Crashfree" safety net, for
that one flash update.

I presume in your case, that you attempted to update both, and the
update failed.

The safest way to flash, is by booting a DOS floppy, and using the
version of DOS flasher provided on the Asus download site. When
booted in DOS, there isn't going to be a lot of pesky multitasking
going on, to upset the flash process, as there could be with a
Windows flasher.

A second consideration, is overclocking. If you are overclocking,
you would be well advised to return to stock settings. The reason
for this is, an overclocked board may be overclocking the LPC clock
to the flash chip, and violating the timing on the flash chip could
cause the flash process to fail.

Before using any flash method, always visit the Asus download page
for your motherboard. Frequently, there are various warnings, about
certain versions of the BIOS, not being flashable with certain of
the methods. You should always read the BIOS history link, or the
"More" links next to the various BIOS releases, for these warnings.
While I don't see any warnings for your board, you should
check there for yourself.

Finally, you don't have to RMA the board to get it running again.
There are a number of providers of BIOS flash chips. You pull out
the old one and install a new chip. The BIOS is usually socketed
and removable (the exception being the odd OEM board that has
the chip soldered to the motherboard, to save the small cost of
the socket). You can visit www.badflash.com for example, and see
what they charge. You can even contact Asus Tech Support (toll call)
and ask them for a phone number of an Asus person in your country
or area, who sells replacement chips. I think Asus sends the chip
by mail, so the transit time could be quite long. One of the
other services might use a courier to ship, reducing the wait and
increasing the price.

There are some other methods for flashing, such as "hot flashing",
but this requires finding a board that uses a similar flash interface,
removing that boards BIOS chip while the computer is running, then
inserting the dead flash chip and reflashing it. There is some danger
to this procedure (like if the LPC flash chip gets rotated in the
socket and shorts to the wrong pins), and I don't recommend this for
the average user. (Hell, I wouldn't do that myself!)

Buying a replacement BIOS chip is more likely to yield a working
motherboard and a reasonably cheap lesson about what flash tools
are good and what ones are bad. If you feel particularly accident
prone, buying a BIOS Savior (ioss.com.tw) is one way to guarantee
this doesn't happen again. To use the BIOS Savior, you need at least
one good BIOS image, and unless you live near a vendor like Eksit,
who are willing to program the BIOS Savior before sending it to
you, you will need the services of badflash.com and the purchase
of the BIOS Savior as well.

Before removing the current flash chip. make a diagram of the
orientation of the chip. The chip will have a "dot" on it, and
that may be lined up with a triangle marking on the socket. Make
sure the dot on the replacement chip is aligned the same way.
If the replacement flash chip doesn't come with a chip puller,
a nimble person can pull the flash chip, using a pointed tool,
like an awl. Be careful to lift the chip equally on all sides as
it is extracted. Similarly, press equally on all sides when inserting
the new chip. If the chip is inserted/extracted crooked, pins can
get bent. You can also get a very nice tool from Radio Shack,
for pulling PLCC chips, that should work as well. It costs $10.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 19th 04, 01:18 PM
rstlne

wrote:

[...]

I was under the impression (as wrong as I might be) that the bootblock area
for the crash free bios could only be updated via special triggers with the
update utility (so morons wouldnt just write over it)..
If this guy had read the instructions then he would know his flash attempt
was faulty and he would have tried again.
Being that I dont belive he read the instructions then I dont belive he
would have overwritten the boot block..

Plus he doesnt like reading so he'll not read all that **** you said

Old July 20th 04, 01:39 AM
Hello

wow...thanx Paul....that's alot of detaisl. Yes I know I shouldn't have
flashed it even though I've done the same thing many other times and had no
problems.
I used ASUSUpdae (in Windows) and there might have been a check mark that
says to also flash the BOOT BLOCK
but I didn't pay too much attention. Why have something that could kill
your MB be the default setting?
Atleast ASUS should have it unchecked and let the user decide.

I'm hooped and I know it.....have to spend some $$ to take out the BIOS chip
and get it flashed or buy a new MB.

Old July 20th 04, 01:49 AM
Barry Watzman

NEVER flash a bios under Windows. Either do it under DOS, or do it from
the BIOS update feature built into the most recent BIOS'. But NEVER do
it under Windows.

Old July 20th 04, 02:25 AM
Spore

Asus will send you another Bios chip via Fedex for under $20, at least that
was cost for me a year or so back. lol

Old July 20th 04, 02:12 PM
rstlne

"DaveW" wrote in message
Flashing the BIOS is an iffy thing; as you unfortunately found out.

--
DaveW

It's only iffy if your doing it wrong or using someone elses bogus code..

Problem flashing BIOS Mr Ter Asus Motherboards 2 April 24th 04 08:42 AM
BIOS flashing for different mobos with same chipset Daveman750 Overclocking 4 December 24th 03 04:01 PM
Dead A7V333 after BIOS flash Dragula Asus Motherboards 6 December 1st 03 12:43 PM
BIOS dead Frank General 1 July 4th 03 01:22 AM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM