Too old to find easily Zalman 7700 + P4C800-E

Old February 22nd 09, 08:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Harry Putnam

Default Too old to find easily Zalman 7700 + P4C800-E

I know this information is lurking on the web somewhere.. but having
some difficulty finding it.

I want to know up front if a zalman 7700 cpu cooler, about
4.5" X 4.5" x 2.5" will fit on a socket 478 P4C800 mother board.

It looks like it might be very close as there is a row of capacitors
above and some chip with a cooler (and asus logo) just below. (When
antec tower is stood in normal position).

I've provided a picture he

www.jtan.com/~reader/P4/disp.cgi

The dark purple arrows indicating what look like the tightest points.

I'm hoping someone can verify that the Zalman cooler shown he

http://www.xpcgear.com/zal7000bcu.html

Can be installed on asus P4C800-E board

Even better would be really huge:

http://www.xpcgear.com/zal7700cu.html

Is about 5.5" x 5.5" X 2.5 but that looks just too big.

Can anyone vouch for having made one of these work on the P4C800?

Old February 22nd 09, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
peter

quoted form http://www.silentpcreview.com/article209-page1.html

As with the 7000 series, the 7700 is a cross-platform device with
compatibility for all the newer CPU socket types: The Intel 478 and 775, and
the AMD 754, 940 and 939. The older Socket A and 370 are ignored; this
heatsink would be overkill for any CPU in that form factor, and its size
makes it highly incompatible.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old February 22nd 09, 10:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Harry Putnam

"peter" writes:

quoted form http://www.silentpcreview.com/article209-page1.html

As with the 7000 series, the 7700 is a cross-platform device with
compatibility for all the newer CPU socket types: The Intel 478 and
775, and the AMD 754, 940 and 939. The older Socket A and 370 are
ignored; this heatsink would be overkill for any CPU in that form
factor, and its size makes it highly incompatible.

peter

Thanks. I take it as a resounding yes.

So are you saying either of them will fit?

The larger one is roughly 5.5" sq and 2.5 high

I made a quicky cardboard folded box that size and it looks really
massive in that spot. Near as I can tell the protruding edge of
chassis fan is about 2.80 inches from center of the cpu. and it will
cover part of the http://www.xpcgear.com/zal7700cu.html in the other
direction. That is, from the motherboard up, (in the image).

Long as it doesn't hit I guess it might be a good thing having the
chassis fan pulling air around some of the fins.

If you look back at the image:
www.jtan.com/~reader/P4/disp.cgi

The dark area to the right is the chassis fan.
Old February 22nd 09, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Harry Putnam wrote:
"peter" writes:

quoted form http://www.silentpcreview.com/article209-page1.html

As with the 7000 series, the 7700 is a cross-platform device with
compatibility for all the newer CPU socket types: The Intel 478 and
775, and the AMD 754, 940 and 939. The older Socket A and 370 are
ignored; this heatsink would be overkill for any CPU in that form
factor, and its size makes it highly incompatible.

peter

Thanks. I take it as a resounding yes.

So are you saying either of them will fit?

The larger one is roughly 5.5" sq and 2.5 high

The CNPS7700 can stick up, above the top edge of the
motherboard. The diagram on the page here, shows some dimensions
and what to look for. You can check the orientation of your
socket (where the lever is), the distance from the socket
center to the top edge of the board, and figure out where the
radius of the 7700 ends up when placed on the socket.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cool...MBlist_eng.htm

The copper one.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/...ad.asp?idx=156

The copper-aluminum one.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/...ad.asp?idx=155

The ones list as non-compatible, may bump into a Northbridge,
RAM, or a badly placed Vcore capacitor near the socket. In some
cases, there are motherboards that violate the keep-out area,
or are just plain bad designs.

I have a 7000 on my P4C800-E Deluxe, and it is 9.5mm below the
top edge of the motherboard, leaving at least an inch to my
power supply. The 7700 would be 13 mm taller, so would stick
over the top edge of the motherboard by 3.5mm. I would still
have 1/2 an inch clearance. But the 7700 would probably bump
into my rear cooling fan, which is a 120x120x38mm or so.
There is still a need to eyeball the inside of your case,
and look for stuff like that. If I were to use the 7700
now, I'd have to change the rear exhaust fan to a thinner
120x120x25mm one.

Paul
Old February 23rd 09, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Harry Putnam

Paul writes:

[...] snipped good info .. thanks
(very nice pages you posted... much better than what
I had found)

There is still a need to eyeball the inside of your case,
and look for stuff like that. If I were to use the 7700
now, I'd have to change the rear exhaust fan to a thinner
120x120x25mm one.

It looks like the bigger 7700 will fit but be very close. I wonder if
you'd know... Is the cooling difference between them likely to be very
significant?

Looks like the 7000 would be much less crowded... not to mention
probably easier to install. What do those coolling factors really
translate into:

7700 Thermal resistance: 0.19 ~ 0.24
7000 Thermal resistance: 0.20 ~ 0.27

I know roughly how its figured and that lower is better but those
look very close. The smaller 7000 is slightly quieter too.

My usage is pretty bland compared to heavily overclocked gamer or
similar, most of the time, but I do grind video (I'm a semi-pro
videographer) on it fairly often and that probably comes close to what
a poweruser might do.

Do you think it would be worth wrestling the bigger one in there?

Old February 23rd 09, 02:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Harry Putnam wrote:
Paul writes:

[...]

The thermal resistance is in degrees C per watt. If you had
a 100 watt processor, and a 0.19 heatsink, the CPU would be 19C
hotter than the ambient air temperature inside the computer case.

My 7000 ran at full speed all the time, and the CPU didn't
get too hot. But my CPU is a Northwood and is only 2.8GHz,
so it isn't much of a contest.

Pau;
Old February 23rd 09, 04:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Harry Putnam

Paul writes:

The thermal resistance is in degrees C per watt. If you had
a 100 watt processor, and a 0.19 heatsink, the CPU would be 19C
hotter than the ambient air temperature inside the computer case.

Whoa, wait a minute... I must be misunderstanding what you are saying.

That would mean that if the ambient temperature was 90... which is
probly not too far off then the cpu would be something like 66 degrees
F higher? (156 degrees)

Oh, maybe processors are considerably less than 100 watt?

I don't know how to find the wattage of the cpu in the specs do you?
Old February 23rd 09, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

[...]

My favorite Zalman for S478 is their CNPS9500LED. If you can find
one of the original 9500's (the later "A" revision has a different clip that
isn't optimized for S478), that's the way to go IMO.

Its fan can be undervolted all the way down to 5V and it still provides
amazing cooling power. It also sits above surrounding caps on most
motherboards.

Old February 23rd 09, 08:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Harry Putnam

Paul writes:

My 7000 ran at full speed all the time, and the CPU didn't
get too hot. But my CPU is a Northwood and is only 2.8GHz,
so it isn't much of a contest.

Sorry to be a pest... but wondered about noise level... especially at
full speed you must have a good idea.
Old February 23rd 09, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Harry Putnam

writes:

Can anyone vouch for having made one of these work on the P4C800?

My favorite Zalman for S478 is their CNPS9500LED. If you can find
one of the original 9500's (the later "A" revision has a different clip that
isn't optimized for S478), that's the way to go IMO.

Its fan can be undervolted all the way down to 5V and it still provides
amazing cooling power. It also sits above surrounding caps on most
motherboards.

Thanks for the useful input. So you had no trouble installing it
eh? I wondered if that upright design might not be easier to install.

By `under volting' do you just mean as accomplished by some kind of
rheostat contraption like the fanmate appears to be?

But also, somehow that very uprightness, just on the surface (I have
no experience in this or any training) appears that it would be less
efficient than those where the fan hoovers over the cpu horizontally,
or I guess that would be verticaly in a midtower when in normal
position, but horizontal when laid down for working on.

The oxide.com site I found it on didn't give a Thermal Resistance
spec apparently opting apparently for Dissipation area
(Dissipation Area: 3,698cm2) But I'm pretty sure all the 9000 series
will be rated above the 7000 series models.

So I guess you found it really quiet too?

[problem] Zalman CNPS-7700 and Asus P5AD2-E logic7 Asus Motherboards 7 May 20th 06 10:48 PM
A warning and advice to Zalman CPU-7700 and 9500 HSF users. [email protected] Asus Motherboards 1 February 27th 06 09:12 PM
Zalman 7700 Ken' Asus Motherboards 11 April 6th 05 06:17 PM
Antec Overture case with Zalman 7700 Cu/Athlon 64 - does it fit? David Johnstone Overclocking AMD Processors 1 February 18th 05 02:36 PM
P4C800-E Deluxe and Zalman 7700 dh Asus Motherboards 0 December 25th 04 11:01 PM