General Advice on O\C

Old October 22nd 04, 12:56 AM
Axel Beck

Default General Advice on O\C

Hi folks,
well, I'm just getting started with overclocking and need some help
putting all the factors together in order to achieve a stable O\C
system. I got an AMD Barton 3000 (333) on a Abit KV7 board with two
sticks of Kingston Hyper X 3200 (400). I'm aware of such things as:
FSB, multiplier, ram timings, voltages and such but don't know how to
go about putting them all together to fine tune my system. Right now I
have the FSB set at 180 with a multiplier of 13. I've got the ram
turned down to 333 to match the CPU. Default voltages all around and
ram timing set to factory specs (2.3.2.6.1T) Everything works well at
these settings but I've had no luck in figuring out how to get my FSB
settings up to 200 (my final goal) and have the computer start. Just a
black screen is all I get, no post or anything when setting FSB to 200
even with reduced multiplier. What am I missing? Thanks, Axel.
Old October 22nd 04, 06:20 AM
Augustus

"Axel Beck" wrote in message
[...]

That 166FSB Barton 3000 has a very high 13.0 multiplier. It runs at 2167Mhz.
When you push your FSB up to 200Mhz, it's tring to boot at an actual
2600Mhz. With a stock hs/f and stock vcore, this is just not going to
happen. Actually, it's not going to happen with any type of cooling or vcore
boost in my opinion.

Old October 26th 04, 03:05 AM
Hippy Paul

"Axel Beck" wrote in message
[...]

First guess - Have you tried a slight increase in vcore - maybe 1.7v - 1.75
and seeing if you can boot at a higher fsb? - as 2340 mhz at default voltage
is pretty good (well compared to my unlocked 2500+ it is).

Second guess - How old is the 3000+ - i.e. is it multiplier locked?
If so, changing the multiplier won't do much good unless you have done the
L5 mod (which I think may work on the KT600). Because if the multiplier is
not actually changing, despite changing the bios settings, you are
attempting to go from 180x13 = 2340mhz (- a respectable overclock - the non
mobile Barton's only generally like to go to 2400mhz) to 200 x 13 =
2600mhz - which without very good cooling (and heaps of vcore) you would be
incredibly lucky to achieve.

Third guess - If the cpu is unlocked - How old is the bios - I seem to
recall rumours of some of the early KT600 boards having issues with changing
default cpu speeds - ie 165mhz fsb was the best a 133cpu could do and 199mhz
fsb was the best that could be set on a 166fsb cpu and there was speculation
that bios updates may resolve it - if they did I do not know.
There was a related issue where if a non 200fsb cpu was set to 200fsb they
would not have it - due to a pci divider issue - the cpu either needed a
bridge mod or a pin mod to set the default fsb to 200 so as to keep the
boards happy and make them provide the additional pci divider (they
literally only provided the needed pci divider if a default 200mhz fsb cpu
was inserted). So maybe try 199mhz fsb and a lower multiplier and see if
that works, if not could try the fsb pin mods on www.ocinside.de to set
default fsb to 200 on the cpu - rather than mod the cpu bridges. A quick
test (if the multiplier does change), would be to set it stupidly low (if
you can) and see how fast the fsb can go - and if circa 180 -185 fsb is your
maximum limit it would suggest a pci divider issue - if you can get to
199mhz then maybe a bios issue

Other than that - so long as the fsb and memory bus are set at a ratio of
1:1 not got much of an idea.