Motherboard for P4.

Old July 29th 04, 08:18 PM
Dave C.

"MS" wrote in message
Hi,

Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
chance to ask about which motherboard.

I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.

I'm looking for reliability, some overclocking, ability to take decent
RAM, but I really have no idea how to choose between these! Perhaps
someone who knows a lot more about the issues at stake can advise me.

Abit IC7-G Intel 875 Motherboard - £102.11
Abit IC7 Intel 875P P4 Motherboard - £77.41
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Intel 875P Canterwood Motherboard - £130.28
Asus P5GDC Deluxe Intel 915P Sck 775 Motherboard - £116.84
Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe SiS®655TX P4 Motherboard - £70.24
Epox EP-4PDA2V Socket 478 Motherboard inc EasyBay - £83.48
Epox EP-4PDA5+ Intel 865PE P4 Motherboard - £75.39
Gigabyte GA-8I915P-PRO PCI Express Socket 775 Motherboard - £88.83
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 Intel P4 2004 GT Edition Motherboard - £77.64

Thanks and regards,

MS

Some of those aren't compatible with your processor. Of the ones that are,
the abit IC7 and epox EP-4PDA5+ are your best choices. As you mentioned
overclocking (don't do it, but), you should probably go for the abit IC7.
It wouldn't be a hard decision for me . . . the epox would win easily.
However, the Abit is a good value too, and they have a good reputation for
overclocking. -Dave

Old July 29th 04, 08:21 PM
JK

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2063&p=1

MS wrote:

Just as an aside... which motherboards come highly recommended for the
Athlon 64 3000?

Thanks,

MS

Old July 29th 04, 09:22 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

The Prescott is a hot chip.

You could save quite a bit by going for an Ebay P4-2.8Ghz, in
the UK they are just £75-78 - and Northwood so run *cooler*.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for quiet Panaflo fans & other items

Old July 29th 04, 10:42 PM
DaveW

Best, most stable, and highest rated by Reviewers is
the Asus P4C800E-Deluxe.

--
DaveW

Old July 30th 04, 06:15 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"MS" wrote in message
[...]

These people are all missing the point here...

You already got a prescott cpu.
Would've been better to get a northwood.
But if you want a good board, get either MSI or Gigabyte with Dual Bios.
Dual bios can be very nice, but you might not know that intill something
goes wrong.
I cant think right, I'm a bit drunk.

Denny. ;-)

Old July 30th 04, 11:36 AM
Steve Pearce

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:45:04 GMT, MS
wrote:

Hi,

Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
chance to ask about which motherboard.

I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.

I've used a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000g with that processor with good
results, the "pro" version should be just as good.
Old July 30th 04, 12:55 PM
Johannes H Andersen

wrote:

Hi,

Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
chance to ask about which motherboard.

I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.

I've used a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000g with that processor with good
results, the "pro" version should be just as good.

I have just built using Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 from a computer fair. This
board is slightly better, using 875P chipset instead of 865P. But all
Gigabytes are nice and stable and well documented. However, there is a fix
around I've read about, where you can have PAT (Intel's Performance
Acceleration Technology) which effectively makes the 865P into the 875P.
This board was inexpensive £87, but minor point is that IDE is ATA100
not ATA 133, although the board has two SATA ports which makes the ATA100
a non issue.
Old July 30th 04, 07:50 PM
maggot

wrote:

Abit IC7 Intel 875P P4 Motherboard - £77.41

This is a rock solid mb and is a very good price. The G model has one
extra SATA port and LAN. If you don't need that then just get the
stock IC7. And as others have said, get a Northwood cpu instead of
Prescott.
Old July 30th 04, 07:51 PM
maggot

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:27:22 GMT, MS
wrote:

The PC will be running XP Pro and its most 'demanding' role will be doing
video editing and associated tasks. Wouldn't the P4 be better at doing this?

Yes.

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 11:51 AM
AOPEN AX4BS-V MOTHERBOARD - won't boot - won't POST - help please!! lucy General 3 November 29th 03 06:21 AM
I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 02:40 AM
your motherboard redbuffalo003 General 0 September 21st 03 04:08 PM