Advice on buying Ergonic chair for computer

Old October 24th 03, 11:11 AM
Scattershot@@

Default Advice on buying Ergonic chair for computer

Hi:

I am looking to buy an ergonomic chair for my computer.
I was wondering if anybody had any links or advice on what I should look for
in an ergonomic computer chair.
(I.e. how high should the back of the chair be, how low should the seat be,
what should I look for in terms of fit, what types of armrests are good,
etc.)

I realize good chairs can cost up to $1000 (Although I'd prefer to pay no
more than than $400 US/$500 canadian for one). I do have a number of places
near my house in Vancouver that has computer like chairs, including Cosco,
Staples, etc. I just don't know what I should look for in a chair, and I
want to do it right so I only have to buy a chair once, so price isn't a
major issue.

Thanks

SS

Old October 24th 03, 08:08 PM
Scattershot@@

Dont you live near an office max, office depot or similar type of
place? THey have tons of chairs. The one big problem Ive seen
is my first impression of a chair is not the same as when you have to
sit in it for months and months. 80% of the chairs seem pretty good
when you just try them out. Very few seem great after sitting in them
a while.

I have an office depot, and a staples, and they both have a lot of chairs.
And a lot of them see, good, and like you said, what worries me is that most
likely very few will be good "after sitting in them a while."

To me it depends since everyones body is shaped a bit different with
different weights and heights and build.

For me after trying many chairs - around here spending at least $200
or so makes a big difference. For me there has to be fairly high back
support others dont like that but I do. My head feels like its just
hanging there and theres no place to rest it without high support.

i agree with you on this point to, I like high back support.

I like a fair amount of padding. One of the worst chairs I ever bought
I noticed this - a cheap leather chair was super thin. Felt like I was
getting skin sores sitting on it for long lengths of time. You
usually dont get good padding unless its around $200 .

I dont like a big lump at the top of the seat back and a big concave
shape towards the bottom of the back , you feel like a hunchback,
curled forward sitting in the chair if the top padding doesnt hit your
head just right.

Theyve come up with those new cloth mesh type seats that seem to be
cheapo copies of the Aeron chair that costs an arm and a leg , They
seem to be more breathable , your back and legs dont get as sweaty if
thats important to you. I havent tried those for long lengths of time
so they maybe horrible but they felt OK when I tried them out.

when you say "they" do you mean they are available at office depot? Do you
have a model # or make of seat?
Again, thanks for the info.

SS

Old October 26th 03, 01:19 AM
santa

The science is money. the more you pays the more you gets. The question is
how do you measure value for money? I can't answer that but I'd look for
things like ball or roller bearing casters wheels suitable for the type of
flooring you have (carpet or wood or other) adjustable seat, back height,
seat height, lumbar support, good fabric. If you're going to pay a $1000
for a chair you should be able to take it home try it for a week and bring
it back for another if you don't like it. If I were you at that price I'd
go to a small very reputable office furniture dealer. You might be able to
get something really good for a good price at a used dealer.

LOL

"Scattershot@@" wrote in message
:
: "ChrisJ9876" wrote in message
: ...
: From: "Scattershot@@"
: Date: 10/24/2003 6:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time
:
: Hi:
:
: I am looking to buy an ergonomic chair for my computer.
: I was wondering if anybody had any links or advice on what I should
look
: for
: in an ergonomic computer chair.
:
: Buy whatever makes your computer comfortable. And while you're at it,
why
: not
: buy one for yourself, too.
: (Sorry, couldn't resist!!!)
:
: groan
:
: well, besides conformat, I thought there had to be some science to it,
i.e.
: there were a set of guidelines of things to look at, so that is what I was
: wondering if someone had a link to a set of guidelines, or perhaps even
: model#'s of chairs to look at.
:
: SS
:
:

Old October 26th 03, 04:45 AM
Scattershot@@

"santa" wrote in message
The science is money. the more you pays the more you gets. The question

is
how do you measure value for money? I can't answer that but I'd look for
things like ball or roller bearing casters wheels suitable for the type of
flooring you have (carpet or wood or other) adjustable seat, back height,
seat height, lumbar support, good fabric. If you're going to pay a $1000
for a chair you should be able to take it home try it for a week and bring
it back for another if you don't like it. If I were you at that price I'd
go to a small very reputable office furniture dealer. You might be able

get something really good for a good price at a used dealer.

LOL

I'll give office depot and the other office furniture dealers around town a
shot.

Thanks

SS

Old October 26th 03, 04:46 AM
Scattershot@@

" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:08:25 GMT, "Scattershot@@"
wrote:

when you say "they" do you mean they are available at office depot? Do

you
have a model # or make of seat?
Again, thanks for the info.

SS

Yeah anywhere. They actually have alot of chairs online at their
website. Take a look.

The obvious things are the adjustments you want after you try them
out. Some people may want the armrests, back height, angle and all
that a certain way and if its not to your liking in the avg chair
youll obviously want an adjustment.

I tend to get medium height back chairs because its almost impossible
to find a high back that matches you exactly and the adjustable ones
tend to be more expensive.

And i like padding. Unfotunately the really padded plush chairs are in
the very high end. Its not even a matter of cost too. They tend to be
very big chairs which many dont like in a small room And they are
heavy.

In fact I put two extra cushions on my chair at the back and on the
bottom or they get too hard. It makes a huge difference.

thanks, some other helpful tips to look for there.
I'll keep my eyes open for some ergonomic websites as well that might offer
additional tips.

thanks

SS

Old October 26th 03, 03:07 PM
Bob Day

Hi:

I am looking to buy an ergonomic chair for my computer.
I was wondering if anybody had any links or advice on what I should look

for
in an ergonomic computer chair.

Check out Balans chairs.

-- Bob Day