A few questions before assembling Linux 7.5TB RAID 5 array

Old December 22nd 06, 05:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Yeechang Lee

Default A few questions before assembling Linux 7.5TB RAID 5 array

Steve Cousins wrote:
OK. I've never used JFS. XFS has worked really well for us. One nice
thing when testing different configurations is that the file system
creates very quickly.

mkfs.jfs also works very quickly, as well. What takes a long time--and
is of course filesystem-independent--is the RAID-creation
process. Benchmarking multiple chunk sizes is going to be extremely
time-consuming, alas.

Another thing that I ran into is that if you ever want to do a
xfs_check on a volume this big it takes a lot of memory and/or swap
space.

I appreciate the suggestion. The box will ony have 2GB of RAM; it
doesn't need any more for my purposes, but I'll be sure to give it
lots of swap.

--
URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/ PERTH ---- *

Homemade 2.8TB RAID 5 storage array:
URL:http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=slrnd1g04a.5mt.ylee%40pobox.com
Old January 3rd 07, 03:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Guy Dawson

Guy Dawson wrote:
Yeechang Lee wrote:
I'm shortly going to be setting up a Linux software RAID 5 array using
16 500GB SATA drives with one HighPoint RocketRAID 2240 PCI-X
controller (i.e., the controller will be used for its 16 SATA ports,
not its "hardware" fakeraid).

How long are you expecting a rebuild to take in the event of a
disk failure? You may well be better off creating a bunch of smaller
5 disk RAID5 arrays rather than one big one.

An aside - we've just taken delivery of an EMC CX300 storage system.
We've configured a RAID 5 array with 15 146GB Fibre channel disks and
a hot spare. We've just pulled one of the disks from the array and
are watching the rebuild take place. I'll let you know how long it
takes!

Well, the data was in long ago but then I went on holiday.

After pulling one 146GB disk from the 14 disk RAID 5 array it took the
CX300 35 mins to bring the hot spare in to the array.

When I replaced the pulled drive the CX300 took 10 mins to rebuild the
array so that the hot spare was spare again.

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Old January 4th 07, 01:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Jon Metzger

Guy Dawson wrote:
Guy Dawson wrote:
Yeechang Lee wrote:
[...]

35 minutes sounds way too short to me. We have Clariions with 5-disk
RAID groups of 146GB drives and they take longer than that. Clariion
arrays do RAID rebuilds based on LUNs, so for example if you only had a
100GB LUN bound in that RAID group that's all you rebuilt. The array
knows not to bother to rebuild dead space where no LUNs are bound. If
you had bound LUNs to fill that whole 14-disk RAID 5 array (~2TB) I
suspect your rebuild would take considerably longer.
Old January 4th 07, 02:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Guy Dawson

Jon Metzger wrote:

35 minutes sounds way too short to me. We have Clariions with 5-disk
RAID groups of 146GB drives and they take longer than that. Clariion
arrays do RAID rebuilds based on LUNs, so for example if you only had a
100GB LUN bound in that RAID group that's all you rebuilt. The array
knows not to bother to rebuild dead space where no LUNs are bound. If
you had bound LUNs to fill that whole 14-disk RAID 5 array (~2TB) I
suspect your rebuild would take considerably longer.

Ah. That does indeed change things. We had a 10GB LUN and a 250GB LUN
on the 14 disk array at the time of the test.

Guy
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd