Dual GPU nVidia Card With 512MB Per GPU?

Old June 17th 08, 05:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

Default Dual GPU nVidia Card With 512MB Per GPU?

"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

Is there a utility around, which allows checking memory consumption on
the video card ? I seem to remember someone mentioning they used such
a thing, but I don't know what a good search term would be to find it.
Perhaps the OP could run a check, and see what is reported, while
FSX is running. FSX has tuning options as well, which may make a
difference to texture usage.

You can get Video Memory Watcher V2 from
http://pcforalla.idg.se/2.1054/1.127411 (the official site has been down for
a year or so). Start it before you start your game and afterwards it will
give you stats on your video memory usage. Someone in another forum
mentioned Riva Tuner being able to get video memory usage information from
the hardware but I don't run it.

Old June 17th 08, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Sure. Looking on the bright side, it's about 30% less than what I spent on
my X1900XT Crossfire setup a while back. The GTX280 is likely going to be
the fastest card in XP/DX9 for a while. :-)

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
First of One wrote:
THIS is a viable single card option, better performance than a 9800GX2.
:-)

You first...that's why you have that name, right?

I would not touch that thing with a logic probe.

Old June 17th 08, 06:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

DRS wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

Is there a utility around, which allows checking memory consumption on
the video card ? I seem to remember someone mentioning they used such
a thing, but I don't know what a good search term would be to find it.
Perhaps the OP could run a check, and see what is reported, while
FSX is running. FSX has tuning options as well, which may make a
difference to texture usage.

You can get Video Memory Watcher V2 from
http://pcforalla.idg.se/2.1054/1.127411 (the official site has been down for
a year or so). Start it before you start your game and afterwards it will
give you stats on your video memory usage. Someone in another forum
mentioned Riva Tuner being able to get video memory usage information from
the hardware but I don't run it.

Riva tuner is probably the best method to store and view video memory
usage data. VidMem Watcher is easier but is mostly useful only to show
peak usage data, which needs some interpretation and isn't always reliable.

Riva Tuner requires a separate step to prepare your system for video
memory usage readouts, as it is not a universal process, and you can see
actual real time usage with its always on top feature, so you can tell
where your usage peaks a long range views? many objects on screen?

One drawback to having big detailed textures is that if they actually do
require to be swapped out, there will likely be a pause or stutter as
the bus gets messy..who knows what else might be using the bus at the
time..large width buses mitigate that problem, more ram just decreases
the circumstances in which it happens. FS9 suffered that problem with
very high settings. Often times you can boost the PCI bus from 100MHz to
125Mhz safely, which can be surprisingly effective in these cases if the
PCI cards are otherwise well behaved. Nvidia calls it "linkboost", which
is crap, it's good PCIe engineering.
Old June 17th 08, 06:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

First of One wrote:
Sure. Looking on the bright side, it's about 30% less than what I spent on
my X1900XT Crossfire setup a while back. The GTX280 is likely going to be
the fastest card in XP/DX9 for a while. :-)

I daresay it can't be "GX2'ed" since it is so big and hot. Who needs 2
Aegia cards anyway, which is what you end up with if you GX2'ed this
monster. Maybe this design will be useful with a die shrink and a killer
app. Maybe the moon will fall out of the sky.

I like the physx concept and I know there is ample horsepower in
dual-core cpus and gpus to pull it off, but what I can't figure out is
how the hell they are going to transmit all that gamestate data over the
tubes...the point of physx is to add numerous goodies and clutter to the
arena, which all has to be synchronized to each client.

Do you have any idea how much upstream data you send with your xbox or
PC in some games? It's likely 30K/sec or more, as "bad" as file sharing
in bulk. Physx games will need 10 times that amount with the same
latency, or less. And the ISPs are talking about data caps. Certainly
not a healthy recipe.

Either physx is going to be a LAN phenomenon only, or some weird
imposter shenanigans are going to have to take place and multiplayer
will seem odd and quirky.

Old June 17th 08, 07:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
news
DRS wrote:

[...]

You can get Video Memory Watcher V2 from
http://pcforalla.idg.se/2.1054/1.127411 (the official site has been
down for a year or so). Start it before you start your game and
afterwards it will give you stats on your video memory usage. Someone in
another forum mentioned Riva Tuner being able to get
video memory usage information from the hardware but I don't run it.

Riva tuner is probably the best method to store and view video memory
usage data. VidMem Watcher is easier but is mostly useful only to show
peak usage data, which needs some interpretation and isn't always
reliable.

RivaTuner may provide superior functionality but the reason I don't use it
is because it has a horrible interface that I find confusing. It's well
beyond your average user.

Old June 18th 08, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
I daresay it can't be "GX2'ed" since it is so big and hot. Who needs 2
Aegia cards anyway, which is what you end up with if you GX2'ed this
monster. Maybe this design will be useful with a die shrink and a killer
app. Maybe the moon will fall out of the sky.

VR-Zone has "confirmed" that the GTX280 won't be GX2'd, because of the heat
output. However, there is no pressure to produce a dual-GPU package, because
in real-world gameplay a single GTX280 is faster than a 9800GX2, so it is
currently the fastest thing available.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

I like the physx concept and I know there is ample horsepower in dual-core
cpus and gpus to pull it off, but what I can't figure out is how the hell
they are going to transmit all that gamestate data over the tubes...the
point of physx is to add numerous goodies and clutter to the arena, which
all has to be synchronized to each client.

Who cares about Physx? :-) The GT200's complexity comes from having more
shader units, more texture units and a wider memory interface. This is the
equivalent of greater engine displacement.

Old June 19th 08, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Will

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Will wrote:

Running the 7950GX2 with Microsoft FSX at the settings I am using as

soon as
I fly into a dense urban area the frame rate slows to zero, vertical

spikes
appear in the image, and then FSX freezes and crashes. Most of the

posts I
have read suggest that the vertical spiking of the image before a crash

is a
sign of video card memory exhaustion.

FSX is CPU constrained, and I'm not concerned about the speed of the

GPU.

Did you not even look yourself before you asked?

There are plenty of 1GB 9800GX2's for sale.

Yes, and I even read past the four title.

Those are 512MB *per card*.

--
Will

Old June 19th 08, 06:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Will

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Yeah he wants 1G per GPU, but that isn't available in non SLI and a
9800GX2 will perform VASTLY better than what he currently has in FSX, no
matter what his FB+TXT memory requirements are. The 9800GX2 will also
outperform the HD3870 in FSX unless the OP really has a need for 500M+
of memory in use at once unless it's due to obnoxious resolution
requirements ... at which point the raw performance of the 9800GX2 will
come out on top again.

You really want a viable single card option?

Palit's 1G 8800GTS, it's the perfect solutions to heavily textured games
such as Oblivion and other memory intensive operations like high FSAA
and filtering on large WS resolutions, with the horsepower to run it all.

In your experience with FSX, does 9800GX2 really offer better performance
than 8800GTS? Given the bottlenecks in FSX appear to be mostly with CPU (I
can flat line my four CPU cores at 100% easily), I wonder if a 9800GX2 isn't
GPU overkill, at least unless I am in dual GPU mode?

If I wanted to have two monitors running FSX running at 1920x1080 each (two
large HDTV panels), what kind of antialias options would I have with 9800GX2
and 8800? I found out the hard way with 7950 that once you climb up in
resolution they put all kinds of limitations on antialiasing. I wanted to
choose 8xS but at my resolution 7950 was only supporting 4x and 8x.

My main reason for the video card upgrade in FSX is that I cannot fly more
than 10 minutes in a big city environment without my frame rates crashing to
less than 1 fps, followed by FSX locking up and crashing. I sometimes see
video spikes before the end, so I am grasping at straws and hoping that an
8800 with 768+ of memory is going to relieve some video memory constraints.

--
Will

Old June 19th 08, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Will

"Will" wrote in message
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Sorry, I mean at unless I have two monitors in use....

--
Will

Old June 19th 08, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Will wrote:
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You have to determine how much video memory you are using, when. Any of
the numerous programs mentioned will do that.

Your FSX CTDs could be caused by anything, will adding local video
memory fix your crashes? If you are always swapping textures and
saturating the bus, maybe. At such resolutions with such FSAA, it is
entirely possible you could be using all available memory (Which is what
it is for).

If I were to run one card per monitor, in non SLI, it would be a card
with more than 512M, more than a 256-bit memory bus and as good or
better than an 8800GTS. There are a few options that meet those criteria.

You would be able to run FSX at maximum resolution with near maximum IQ
including supersampling with a quad core on two monitors. I'll also
assume you have Vista, contributing to your woes.