Still in need of Dell branded Media Center Edition 2005..

Old March 8th 05, 08:51 AM
allegro

Default Still in need of Dell branded Media Center Edition 2005..

Hi,

I'm still very interested in a copy of the Dell branded Windows XP Media
Center Edition 2005 disc.
If you've read the other growing thread, you'll see i've tried everything to
get
Dell send me a replacement disc, which they refuse/don't for unknown
reasons..
I also tried cleaning/recovering the disc and the data on it, even 2
computer stores did everything they could think of.. Didn't work..

I also have to mention i have original (defective) Dell MCE2005 disc, cdkey
and licence and the assurance of MS i'm OK with any downloaded or borrowed
copy of MCE2005, as long as i have the licence, key and orig. disc. They
say, it does have to be a Dell copy, not regular OEM to be legit..

So, if someone on this group does have a copy of MCE 2005 from Dell, and is
willing to upload it to a newsgroup or my XDrive account, that would be
great..

Best would be the Dutch copy, but any other is fine also i guess.

It's been a month or so, and i'm getting very tired of Dell's response (or
lack of it..) It's really frustrating me..

So, maybe someone here could help me out. I'm willing to pay a small fee for
the upload if wanted..

Thanks in advance,

Allegro.

XDrive account
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
User:
Pass: upload

"allegro" schreef in bericht
Hi,

I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
with my system.
A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.

I tried again and again, but no luck.
So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.

I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send me
new cd... They refuse to send a replacement after a month i heard, but
then it was running fine, so)

Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and
key for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.

But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the files
that i need to make a regular OEM copy to a Dell copy
-that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell- that would be great.
That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy
of a friend..
I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to a
newsgroup or to my XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek

Thanks,

Allegro.

P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be great,
otherwise those 12mb of files would do.

The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

-------- The needed files ---------
In folder \I386:
DPCDLL.DL_
EULA.TXT
NT5INF.CA_
OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_
PIDGEN.DLL
SETUPP.INI
SETUPREG.HIV
UNATTEND.TXT
WINNT.SIF

In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
WIN95UPG.INF

Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

@ECHO OFF
:START
MKDIR C:\XPbios
MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
folder-, then save it and double cick it..

On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek

Old March 8th 05, 02:43 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"allegro" wrote:

Hi,

I'm still very interested in a copy of the Dell branded Windows XP Media
Center Edition 2005 disc.

And are you going to continue posting this here on a daily basis
until someone sends you what you are demanding?

You're starting to become like a two- or three-year old - "I'm
gonna stand in front of you and hold my breath and turn blue
until you give me a cookie".
--
OJ III
Old March 8th 05, 02:59 PM
allegro

Hi,

Thanks for such a helpfull post, just what i need..
The only reason i posted this question here, is because some people on this
group are much more help than i got from Dell.
If Dell would support their customers, i wouldn't have to ask here..

P.S: I'm not demanding anything, just hoping someone could help me out since
Dell isn't..
P.S2: But if you have a helpfull suggestion how to obtain a copy, that would
be great.. Since i can't get it from Dell, it seems..

Allegro.

"Ogden Johnson III" schreef in bericht
news

Old March 8th 05, 04:33 PM
RRR_News

allegro,
I don't think anyone in this newsgroup, will send you a copy of their Dell
Restore CD. First of all, if they sent you a non-Dutch version of the CD,
your COA #, should not work with it. In addition there are software
regulations about exporting software to other countries that readers that
read this newsgroup, don't want to get involved with.

You never said why Dell would not offer a replacement CD. If it is similar
to the 30 day rule for replacement of software, that is here in the US. You
may just be out of luck, and will need to buy a new copy of the OS CD from
Microsoft. Dell is now shipping some models of their PC's, with the
restore/recovery cd image on a hidden partition on the HDD, and not shipping
a restore/recovery CD with it. You can request a CD from them at this time.
But I am guessing that may change in the future. But I believe that they
will need a way for you to make a backup CD of the hidden partition, similar
what companies like Compaq has done for years. So individuals that purchase
a Dell now and in the future, better first check if this set-up is on their
computer. And follow instructions to create a back-up CD, which should be
offered. Before reformatting/partitioning the HDD, like many do right out of
the box.

Since the Dell site for the Netherlands, does not offer a forum page on
their website. You can try using the forums on the US website, to post your
request there. Dell customer service does watch those forums, and has helped
people with some of their problems, who posted there. No guarantee, that can
help you, but it can't hurt to try.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

Old March 8th 05, 05:39 PM
allegro

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I can understand some people might don't want to send their copy of the
disc, because of exporting regulations and laws.
I didn't thought of that, because some of those laws and regulations don't
apply to the Netherlands. (Some are even "illegal")
Besides that, MS or at least MS Support Staff told me that if i have a orig.
disc, cdkey and licence, i could just use any Dell MCE2005 version i can get
my hands on..
The same goes for the Dutch/other versions, i assumed any copy means any
copy.. But maybe i'm wrong..
But i could also only those 12mb of needed files would work to convert a non
Dell disc to a Dell version..
But, yes a Dutch version would be the best option.. Uploaded, or send by
regular mail.. Then there should be no problem anyway, i guess..

Well, the problem is Dell didn't specify that precisely why i couldn't get a
replacement, only that "i should have got one with my system", which i did..
Only the disc was bad, which i told them..
There was something in one of the phone conversations about a software term,
but i didn't really think much of it.. Do they want us to reinstall and find
out in 30 days?
I paid for the OS, and now they don't support me? If there is really no way
to get a Dell copy, they force me to download a pirated copy of a regular
MCE2005..
I don't pay twice for something that should have worked in the first place..

There was no restore partition on it, i checked.. Only a util partition of
40mb. Next time i first Ghost the drive, then try to backup the OS cd..
But in the meantime, i just hope someone could help me..

I also already posted on the Dell forum, and contacted Dell US in the past.
Dell US can't help me, because they use a separate system.

Thanks,

Allegro.

"RRR_News" schreef in bericht

Old March 8th 05, 09:42 PM
Hank Arnold

Dell will help you because Dell is perfect and the greatest PC maker ever!
The give their customer excellent support.

Old March 9th 05, 01:03 AM
RRR_News

allegro,
1. What model of Dell PC do you have? Now I can't read Dutch, but I just
look over the Dell website for the Netherlands. I don't see any Dimension,
Optiplex models offering that version of Windows XP MCE2005. They only offer
WinXP Home or Pro, or Linux on some Precision models. You never mentioned if
you bought directly from Dell, or a third party vendor, such as an
electronics store or online. If it was from a third party vendor, they may
have installed a pirated copy of that Windows XP MCE2005 version, and
shipped a defective CD with it.

2. Companies like MS, have chosen to try to protect themselves, in the way
they create their products. Such as the activation requirement starting with
WinXP. In addition, there are many versions of a Windows OS, some purely
based on language requirements, but many based on regulations, concerning
exports of technology. I would not recommend you to download pirated files,
or files from a different version of XP. Many individuals who tried to
upgrade to XP SP2, found out that they couldn't, until the bought legal
copies. And soon, MS will require its non corporate users to have SP2
installed, to get upgrades and hotfixes for XP.

3. You do not own your Windows OS, but lease it. Now if you bought the MS
version Windows OS CD, you are leasing the OS from MS. They have chosen to
support the lease, at least in the US, by allowing replacing the CD disc,
for a nominal fee if lost or damaged. But you need to be able to provide
proof of ownership for the damaged/lost CD. Now they may have stopped this
service for earlier versions of Windows OS's, you may not be able to get
replacement CD's (floppies) for Windows 3.1, or Win95/98 in future years.

4. The OEM version of your Windows OS, is provided Dell under agreement with
MS, at a lower cost, so you are leasing it from Dell. They choose only to
offer a 30 day replacement or warranty for those CD's. Where companies like
Compaq, have used a hidden partition on their HDD's, that contain the OS
files for reinstallation. If you bought the PC from a third party vendor,
other than Dell directly, then they and not Dell are responsible for
replacement CD's, if available.

I know that I have bought early Xmas presents for friends and family, months
before the holiday. Knowing full well, when I give them the present, that
the item cannot be returned, because the store's return period might have
past. If the item doesn't work right out of the box. I on my way back to the
store to pay for another Xmas gift, to replace it.

If you read Compaq newsgroups or forums over the years, I bet you find many
postings, "my hard drive failed, I replaced it. Now I don't have the
replacement files for the OS". You don't need to replace the OS on your new
PC, to check if the CD works, all you need to do is to place CD in CD Drive,
and see if it can read the files off the CD.

--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com

Old March 9th 05, 09:46 AM
allegro

Hi,

I have a Dimension 8400 i bought directly from Dell, so the MCE2005 option
was once there.
I just checked, and you're right, it's gone.. No idea where it went.. But,
i'm afraid, since it not on the site anymore i could have a real problem
obtaining it from Dell at this moment..
But the disc in front of me is looking somewhat the same as my regular Dell
Win XP disc, except it's labeled:
"BESTURINGSSYSTEEM. REEDS OP UW COMPUTER GEINSTALLEERD. DVD voor opnieuw
installeren Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005", it has a Dell
logo on it, P/N, etc.. (-OS, allready installed, reinstall dvd..-)

Well, i never tried to use a pirated version for an extended time, only when
it was a last temp resort.. But at least they worked for the time that i
needed them, but other than that i use retail and OEM discs..
Or, try to since the Dell MCE doesn't work.. But it's untrue it's a problem
to install a pirated SP2 version, i had to for a friend, it's been running
ever since. Just use a good patch to bypass activation..
Anything that can be made, can be cracked.. (For every developer, there are
100 willing to crack it)
But, that's not really the point right now, since i need a copy of the orig
Dell version.

As i've said, MS doesn't support a OEM Dell disc. And Dell doesn't seem to
support it even.
But, i never really got the fact they supported the OS for only 30 days..
What's that all about? I bought 3 years of warranty, i'd think the OS should
at least get a year..
If i can't get a copy from someone here (uploaded or regular mail), i might
have to check what my options are.. This doesn't comply with Dutch
law -warranty/support must be provided for a reasonable time, so 1 to 2
years at least....-

On the Xmas thing, your right.. But i only buy things a few days/weeks
before Xmas, so no problem returning it.

And well, it might be stupid i didn't backup first or create a copy of the
cd, but i had no idea the cd itself would not work while it was never been
used..

So, i still hope someone could upload the disc or the needed files.. I guess
the whole disc is a bit much to ask for (it can take some time to upload the
rar's to a newsgroup or my XDrive account..

However, those 12mb of Dell files should get me on my way, together with the
regular OEM disc i have here. It converts it mostly to a Dell copy, (cdkey,
activation, etc)..
That would take only a few minutes to upload, so if you can't upload the
whole disc, that 12mb of files would really help me..

THanks for any help,

Allegro.

XDrive account
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
User:
Pass: upload

Best would be full (Dutch) disc, other wise 12mb of needed files would help:

Old March 9th 05, 02:37 PM
gg

Perhaps if you presented your story to a computer magazine they might
be able to help. Almost every issue has a story of how the author was
able to use the infuence of the magazine to correct a serious problem.

Most of these problems are far less clear than yours, for example
terms and conditions that the purchaser agreeed to, but didn't
understand.

Dell could easily send you another CD, but choose not to, this could
easily be fixed, unless the CD master was defective.

Another alternative, (other than the legal one you suggested) might be
to create a web site outlining the problem. There are many Dell Hell
pages around. The problem would be to attract attention.

Perhaps set up a web page detailing your efforts to take Dell to small
claims court (if such institution exists). Most big companies ignore
small claims court until a judge issues a major settlement against
them, usually in absentia.
Old March 9th 05, 02:40 PM
allegro

Hi,

As an update, i took a picture of the cd with my piece of crap camera.. It's
not much, but i don't have a scanner.
I tried to get a picture of the cdkey at the side of the system, but i can't
get enough light there. (Or i'll have to pull the whole system out..)
If i use flash i get a too light picture, if i use other lights it's too
dark..

Still hope someone could help me out with this.. A Dutch uploaded copy would
be best, but other languages would work also..
Or just those 12mb of files.. I'm willing to pay a small fee for it.. It's
also possible to send it by regular mail..

Thanks,

Allegro.

My defective cd: http://img87.exs.cx/img87/1228/dutchdellmce1bg.jpg

XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
User:
Pass: upload

P.S: If no one is willing to upload, could someone tell me where to find a
Dell copy on Ebay or that sort of sites for a reasonable price? (Dutch or
UK)