Any VPN 'manager' installed on new Compaqs?

Old June 22nd 04, 02:16 AM
n.heyen

Default Any VPN 'manager' installed on new Compaqs?

I'm having a difficult time getting the corporate VPN client (Nortel VPN and
Fiberlink Global Remote) to work with my Compaq. It appears to install OK,
but when I try to connect, it starts to connect, then, bang! It reboots the
computer. I didn't know you could get a PC to reboot that fast or
consistently.

The corporate support folks talk about some VPN manager installed on some
Compaq's. He also talks about a VPN service in WinXP. Is this active or even
available in the Home edition supplied by Compaq? The documentation provided
for 'advanced' topics is pretty thin...

Thanks!
Norman

Old June 24th 04, 05:54 AM
Quaoar

n.heyen wrote:
I'm having a difficult time getting the corporate VPN client (Nortel
VPN and Fiberlink Global Remote) to work with my Compaq. It appears
to install OK, but when I try to connect, it starts to connect, then,
bang! It reboots the computer. I didn't know you could get a PC to
reboot that fast or consistently.

The corporate support folks talk about some VPN manager installed on
some Compaq's. He also talks about a VPN service in WinXP. Is this
active or even available in the Home edition supplied by Compaq? The
documentation provided for 'advanced' topics is pretty thin...

Thanks!
Norman

You should turn off the automatic restart on error, if that is what is
happening. Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, Error reporting, the
box Automatically restart on error, uncheck it. See what the error
actually reports, it could be correctable. You should check with the
vendor site - they might have this already diagnosed. I think, and
others with correct me if I am wrong, but third-party clients typically
do not need Windows Services to function. Since the client software
does install hooks to the OS, it is important to disable anti-virus
software when installing applications of this kind since the actions
look like viral activity to some AV applications.

Also, since this is a new computer, run msconfig from the run command
and verify that the startup application it shows are really necessary.
It is possible that one of these is interfering with the VPN client.
Also, check with your ISP, they might be blocking ports used by the
client. Some do on home accounts. XP Home does not come with VPN afik
since it is not supposed to be, in Bill's mind, used for business
activities.

Old June 26th 04, 12:37 AM
n.heyen

"Quaoar" wrote in message
n.heyen wrote:
[...]

Good advice, not correct, but good advice. Who would have thought my router
would do this? Connected directly to the cable modem and no problems. Put
the Netgear back in the picture and bang! reboots everytime.

go figure.

Thanks for the reply.

Norman

Old June 26th 04, 02:26 AM
Quaoar

n.heyen wrote:
"Quaoar" wrote in message
n.heyen wrote:
[...]

Your router has toggles for some of the common Pass Throughs (tunnels).
Which one(s) are needed by your VPN client? It's usually IPSec.

In any event, simply having a router without the proper tunneling should
just make the client offer a message, not kill the machine. Restarts
without error are often bad RAM or other hardware related. Google
memtest86 and run it in full diagnostic mode (it takes some time). You
might also check with NetGear for a router firmware update. You might
also find a relevant error or warning in the Event Viewer logs.