Plextor 716A - opinions?

Old October 25th 04, 12:36 AM
Richard Dower

Default Plextor 716A - opinions?

I've got the 712A right now and have been waiting for this new drive.
Reports from people on cdfreaks don't seem that great.

Thus anyone got the drive and know of writing quality and speed?

Old October 25th 04, 12:58 AM
Adrian Boliston

"Richard Dower" wrote:

I've got the 712A right now and have been waiting for this new drive.
Reports from people on cdfreaks don't seem that great.

Thus anyone got the drive and know of writing quality and speed?

Someone was saying that with plextor drives it takes a while for the
firmware to mature, which was certainly the case with my 708a which had
teething problems with early firmware, but seems fine with the last few f/w
versions.

Old October 25th 04, 04:41 AM
Troy

Most of the reports I have read on new plextors were people complaining
about compatibility with cheap media.In my opinion the Plextors rejecting
crap media is a good thing.It's telling you the media is not up to
standardsThis is very good when producing masters for clients.Use good media
you will get good results.

I have many automated Rimage duplicators / thermal printers here that I use
in my business,all with Plextor 12X SCSI drives.I coulden't ask for better
quality.

Old October 25th 04, 05:11 AM
Dan G

Or, just get an NEC that accepts all media, and burns with excellent quality
on them as well. 1/2 the price for 2x the performance.

Old November 18th 04, 05:23 PM
Pooter

Yeah, and 1/4th the cache. And no Gigarec, Securerec...The worst
Plextor at its WORST is still better than 99% of the drives currently
in the market.