.GHO to DVD

Old September 28th 04, 01:02 AM
Jim

Default .GHO to DVD

Just dug out my oem copy of Ghost 2002 which I received packaged with a
motherboard. Hence I'm very new to this application.

Since I have a DVD burner I'd rather use 1 or 2 DVD's over a half dozen
or more CDRs.

I've created the .gho image to a different partition on the hard drive.
But when I try to burn it Roxio and Nero don't see it as a valid ISO
image.

So how do I get there from here????

Old September 28th 04, 01:15 AM
nospam

Jim wrote:

Just dug out my oem copy of Ghost 2002 which I received packaged with a
motherboard. Hence I'm very new to this application.

Since I have a DVD burner I'd rather use 1 or 2 DVD's over a half dozen
or more CDRs.

I've created the .gho image to a different partition on the hard drive.
But when I try to burn it Roxio and Nero don't see it as a valid ISO
image.

They are not images just files.

I don't know if ghost 2002 supported DVDs but 2003 will burn directly to a
DVD creating a bootable DVD with ghost and the .gho files on it (and
subsequent disks as needed).

If you create a ghost boot floppy then you should be able to boot it and
restore from .GHO files burnt onto a data DVD.

You can probably get nero to make a bootable DVD (or CD) from the floppy
image.

Old September 28th 04, 02:52 AM
Jim

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:15:37 +0100, nospam
wrote:

You can probably get nero to make a bootable DVD (or CD) from the floppy
image.

I was under the impression that .GHO was an image, not a collection of
files.

Old September 28th 04, 03:04 AM
Bob Knowlden

It's an image, but not an ISO image.

I use Ghost (2003) to write an image to a FAT32 drive. Becuase of the FAT
limitations, the image is written in (approx.) 2 GB sections. Two of these
fit on a DVD+R disk (with some unused space).

I've given up on writing directly to DVD. I always seemed to get errors.
Ghosting the partition to a hard disk file, and burning the resulting files
to CD with Nero, has been reliable for me.

news

Old September 29th 04, 12:26 AM
Jim

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:04:51 -0400, "Bob Knowlden"
wrote:

It's an image, but not an ISO image.

I use Ghost (2003) to write an image to a FAT32 drive. Becuase of the FAT
limitations, the image is written in (approx.) 2 GB sections. Two of these
fit on a DVD+R disk (with some unused space).

I've given up on writing directly to DVD. I always seemed to get errors.
Ghosting the partition to a hard disk file, and burning the resulting files
to CD with Nero, has been reliable for me.

So you just burn it as a standard DVD file? And for general
information purposes is it better/worse/neutral to create the CD or
DVD as a bootable disc?

Old September 29th 04, 03:28 AM
Bob Knowlden

I haven't tried to make a bootable DVD. I'm a bit old-fashioned: I rely on
rescue floppies.

(I'm curious as to how a restoration would work from six segments on 3 DVDs.
Probably OK, but I've always copied them to a HD partition and restored them
from there.)

Old September 29th 04, 10:21 PM
Jim

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:28:08 -0400, "Bob Knowlden"
wrote:

I haven't tried to make a bootable DVD. I'm a bit old-fashioned: I rely on
rescue floppies.

(I'm curious as to how a restoration would work from six segments on 3 DVDs.
Probably OK, but I've always copied them to a HD partition and restored them
from there.)

Guess I'm going for overkill. I made the images as bootable plus have
duplicate sets of the starter floppies.

Also play to migrate the original image to another computer on my home
network. That way if the entire drive dies the image is still
available should I need to burn another copy.

Old October 4th 04, 06:56 PM
AAH

Ghost 2002
Files created on the hd and transferred to
Cd/DVDs for safekeeping may not be acceptable for restoration DIRECTLY from
Cds/DVDs. In other words the image files
created on the hard disk can only be restored
from the hard disk.
Similiarly the image files created on Cd/DVD
can eventually be restored from the Cd/DVD.
I may be wrong but one must check it since
I had this problem.
One may check the file by loading into GhostExplorer.
Ghost 2003 I think works slightly in a different
way comparing with version 2002.
This is what hapened to me, I am not saying
that something is wrong with the Ghost utility.
I am not using Ghost anymore.