Roxio EZ CD Creator 5 Basic "undelete" command--How does it work?

Old June 22nd 04, 04:07 PM
John Gilman

Default Roxio EZ CD Creator 5 Basic "undelete" command--How does it work?

I got Roxio's EZ CD Creator 5 Basic with my Plextor CD writer. I tried
to create a multi-session cd-r (not cd-rw). Somehow, writing the last
session made first session disappear. I know it must still be on the
disc as it is a write-once only disc.

1. My Roxio (5) Direct CD Format Utility includes a "CD Utilities"
button. Pressing that button brings up an undelete utility which
doesn't work with the basic version. If I had Roxio EZ CD Creator 5
Platinum would this
utility allow me to restore the files on the CD without first creating
an ISO on the hard drive? I'm not interested in
restoring them to the the hard drive as they are there anyway, but
scattered all around. I've left the session open and the CD is a CD-R
not a CD-RW so the information should still be on the disc.

2. My friend (who I was creating the CD for) has Roxio Easy CD Creator
6 Platinum. Should he be able to restore the cd to recover the lost
files? There is no "undelete" utility mentioned in his manual nor
online help. We couldn't find any way to restore the data on the cd
without first writing an ISO file to his hard drive.

3. In a nutshell, do I have to throw away my CD-R disc and start over?
The data that "disappeared" when I wrote the 2nd session amounted to
about 500 Mb, the bulk of the room on the CD-R.

4. Where can I get a manual for Roxio EZ CD Creator 5? A pdf that I
could print out would be fine.

Please send a reply to me at .

Old June 22nd 04, 06:36 PM
AAH

I have the same version the cd utilities
are working fine and it is a good thing to recover
the files from a damaged cd.
Go to the roxio update site and down the
update for basic5. Make sure you download
particulary the basic one. The file is slightly
less than 12MB and also the Cd recorders update file. This update apply to
Cd creator
and DirectCd.

Old June 24th 04, 03:23 PM
John Gilman

AAH:

Thanks for your Tue, 22 Jun 2004 response to my message on
alt.comp.periphs.cdr. I only have a 28.8 Kbps modem, but I do have a
thumb drive and access to wide-band at a local community college so will
be going there to download the upgrade.

For clarity, are you saying that once I apply the upgrade my Roxio EZ CD
Creator 5 Basic that the undelete command will no longer be greyed out
and will work even though their help says that their Platinum version is
required for this utility?

When I use the utility will it then render the files on the cd readable
without first having to copy them to the hard drive as an ISO file? It
should, because the only thing stopping me from being able to access the
files would be the TOC file which I assume is rewritten every time
another session is added. I haven't tried writting a 3rd session.
Maybe that would give me another chance.

The CD is not damaged, by the way. When I wrote the 2nd session I
deleted the first session from the Roxio screen first, as without
documentation it's hard to know just what to do in these situations. If
I hadn't done that I think everything would have worked out ok.

I wonder if Nero provides a .pdf file for thier CD-writing program?
Problem is I don't know where to find an older version. Their version 6
needs a 300 MHz computer and mine is only 166 MHz.

John Gilman

Old June 24th 04, 07:04 PM
AAH

Undelete may not be but the Scan utility
should help to recover the files.
Or search google for ISO buster a freeware
utility to recover the contents of a damaged cd.

Old June 24th 04, 08:11 PM
smh

' -------------------------------------------
how HUGE are your BALLS, Adrian Miller?
Only a trashy company like Roxio or Adaptec
let loosed in Usenet this utter trash
Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR
-----------------------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR
----------------------

John Gilman wrote:

I got Roxio's EZ CD Creator 5 Basic with my Plextor CD writer. I tried
to create a multi-session cd-r (not cd-rw). Somehow, writing the last
session made first session disappear. I know it must still be on the
disc as it is a write-once only disc.

(What's the full version number?)

Easy CD Cremator 5 had problems with multisession from day 1. Your
problem of not seeing the previous sessions is the second report in
recent days. Look for the setting something like "Import previous
session" and if it's checked, then you ran into yet another Easy CD
Mangler bug.

===============================
From: (coaster)
Subject: EZCCCD 5 problems with multisession
Date: 2/27/01

EZCD 5 can't correctly import multisession tracks made by other
software (mode 1 or mode2 XA, Joliet file system).

This includes EZCD 3.5, EZCD 4.02e

===============================
From: Tom
Date: 10/31/03
Subject: EZ CD Creator Platinum 5.3 won't remember
or import sessions

Since upgrading my EZ CD Creator Platinum from 5.1 to 5.3.5.10, the
program doesn't remember sessions. When I manually try to import a
session it says there is no session to import.
===============================

1. My Roxio (5) Direct CD Format Utility includes a "CD Utilities"
button. Pressing that button brings up an undelete utility which
doesn't work with the basic version.

You don't use the Undelete to recover the invisible sessions. See if
you have Session Selector, use that to "see" the previous sessions. If
no Session Selector, use IsoBuster:
http://www.isobuster.com

If I had Roxio EZ CD Creator 5
Platinum would this
utility allow me to restore the files on the CD without first creating
an ISO on the hard drive? I'm not interested in
restoring them to the the hard drive as they are there anyway, but
scattered all around. I've left the session open and the CD is a CD-R
not a CD-RW so the information should still be on the disc.

When you burn, session is always closed and the CD is open (by default).

2. My friend (who I was creating the CD for) has Roxio Easy CD Creator
6 Platinum. Should he be able to restore the cd to recover the lost
files? There is no "undelete" utility mentioned in his manual nor
online help. We couldn't find any way to restore the data on the cd
without first writing an ISO file to his hard drive.

3. In a nutshell, do I have to throw away my CD-R disc and start over?
The data that "disappeared" when I wrote the 2nd session amounted to
about 500 Mb, the bulk of the room on the CD-R.

See above about Session Selector and IsoBuster.

4. Where can I get a manual for Roxio EZ CD Creator 5? A pdf that I
could print out would be fine.

Look up Help until you find a manual.

Warning: Do not use ScanDisc utility -- it will only mess up the cd.

And don't mess with DirectCD. It's very buggy program and it's not
caused by supposedly faulty, unreliable packet writing format. Maybe
that's one of the reasons why Roxio fired the ENTIRE DirectCD team in
2001.

Also, DirectCD is ditched even by none other than a Roxio Shill:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio Shill)

I have used only DCD for packet writing,
have had no problems due to the software -
but too many due to the format itself

to bother with it any longer.

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio Shill)

uninstalled DCD
when I stopped testing for Roxio
=====================

The above Mikey's statement is the first ever case in which a Shill is
rejecting the very product IT is shilling for.

With a Shill like this, Roxio doesn't need any critics!

-------------------------
Roxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!
-------------------------
Old June 25th 04, 01:33 AM
Deke

[...]

FWIW, the same thing happened to me. I have all the upgrades, but what the
heck, CD-Rs are cheap, so I went ahead and finalized the CDR. All the
sessions were there in the finalized disc, even tho all of them didnt show
up on the creator page.
Go figure.

Deke

Old June 25th 04, 05:09 PM
smh

' -------------------------------------------

Deke wrote:
"John Gilman" wrote:

I got Roxio's EZ CD Creator 5 Basic with my Plextor CD writer. I tried
to create a multi-session cd-r (not cd-rw). Somehow, writing the last
session made first session disappear.

FWIW, the same thing happened to me. I have all the upgrades, but what the
heck, CD-Rs are cheap, so I went ahead and finalized the CDR. All the
sessions were there in the finalized disc, even tho all of them didnt show
up on the creator page.

Go figure.

Should say:
----------------------------
Roxio - What a Friggin Joke!
----------------------------
Old June 27th 04, 04:46 PM
John Gilman

Deke wrote:

[...]

Deke:

I never did create a CD project file on my hard drive. When I stick my
CD-R with data files into my cd-writer, start Easy CD Creator 5, and
click on Disc, Disc information I see:

Drive: G: PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4824A
Disc Type: DataMode2XA CD
Writability: Recordable
Sessions: 3 Tracks: 2
Written Sectors: 337386 658.96MB (74:58)

Session Track Address Length
01 01 (Data Mode 2XA) 000000 324306 (633.41MB)
02 02 (Data Mode 2XA) 335706 001680 (3.28MB)
03

The "Finalize Session" button is greyed out. I never have tried to add
that 3rd session. I don't know if the "Finalize Session" button will be
enabled if I try to add another session or not. At this point I can't
figure out how to tell EZ CD that I want to begin another session on the
same CD. Any ideas?

It's interesting that page 124, Chapter 13.11 for Nero 6 says:

Nero Multi Mounter

Windows Explorer normaally only shows the last track of a multisession
CD.

Multi Mounter, which is automatically installed wlith Nero, allows you
to access ANY of the tracks on a CD directly from your Windows desktop.

Using Nero Multi Mounter

1. Put the CD you want to read in your CD/DVD-ROM drive or in your
recorder.
2. Select the corresponding drive in Windows Explorer.
3. Choose Properties from the File menu, or right-click on the drive
icon and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
4. A dialog box with several tabs appears. Shoose the Volumes tab.
You will see a list of all the tracks on the CD. As Windows
automatically accesses the last track on a CD, this track is marked with
a tick.
5. Select the track you want, and confirm your selection by clicking on
OK.
6. From now on, Windows will display the track you have selected under
the drive icon of the CD drive or recorder.

I'm thinking of downloading Nero. Unfortunately version 6 requires a
300 MHz CPU. Mine is only 166 MHz. I don't know what Nero 5 or 5.5
requires nor where to get it.

John

Old June 28th 04, 08:30 AM
smh

' --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes !! )

John Gilman wrote:
Deke wrote:
"John Gilman" wrote...

[...]

The cpu requirement is mainly there for undue sluggishness in cpu
intensive operations, like decoding mp3. With 166MHz, most likely you
will be limited to 4x for burning mp3 on the fly.

Nero 5.5.10.56
http://www.nero.com/en/ns4_631933457317970.html

(Cursory search shows that you can get Nero 5 at less than $10.)