"Check CD" for Audio CDs?

Old May 8th 04, 04:13 PM
JamesDad

Default "Check CD" for Audio CDs?

When burning data CD's, I have a wealth of utilities available to verify
that the resulting CD is good, not the least of which is "Check CD".

But I know of no way to verify that an audio CD copy is good other than to
listen through it and listen for distortion. A couple of days ago, I used
a high-speed CD duplicator to copy a set of CDs belonging to a friend who
wanted me to rip them and make an MP3 CD out of. But disc #2 seems to have
an error; EAC had problems with track #4 and seemed to hang completely on
track #5 (I'd left it running during the night and it was still on track
#5 in the morning).

I'd like to get one of the other copies I made for her, but how can I know
that THAT copy is good other than to ask her to create an .nrg file (she
has Nero) from the original and a copy and run a file comparison utility
on the two image files? I'd probably have to tell her how to do that, to
boot.

Other than creating two image files and comparing them or listening
through the copy, how can one compare an audio CD and its copy to see if
it copied good? Thanks.
Old May 8th 04, 05:18 PM
Harald Holmqvist

On Sat, 08 May 2004 15:13:44 GMT, ("JamesDad")
wrote:

When burning data CD's, I have a wealth of utilities available to verify
that the resulting CD is good, not the least of which is "Check CD".

snip

Other than creating two image files and comparing them or listening
through the copy, how can one compare an audio CD and its copy to see if
it copied good? Thanks.

Perhaps this program can be of use:

http://home.t-online.de/home/Joern.F...dvergleich.htm

It's rather old now, and as far as I know only available in German,
but I don't think its language should be a problem.
I've used it a couple of times to verify audio CD-Rs.
So far I haven't discovered faulty ones with the program, though.

Regards
Harald H

Old May 8th 04, 08:12 PM
Mike Richter

JamesDad wrote:

When burning data CD's, I have a wealth of utilities available to verify
that the resulting CD is good, not the least of which is "Check CD".

But I know of no way to verify that an audio CD copy is good other than to
listen through it and listen for distortion.

Defining "good" to mean an acceptable number of errors before and after
ECC, you have a number of choices including

CDSpeed (Nero component or independent)
CD/DVD Diagnostic (Arrowkey, now Infadyne)

As far as determining whether the bits are what they ought to be, that
entails knowing what they ought to be which is a substantial issue for
audio (but not one at all for data).

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old May 8th 04, 09:23 PM
XPG

Other than creating two image files and comparing them or listening
through the copy, how can one compare an audio CD and its copy to see if
it copied good? Thanks.

Rip the discs to WAV and use the "Compare WAVs" Tool in EAC.