Plextor 12/10/32A doesn't like TDK 48x CD-Rs

Old November 24th 03, 11:18 PM
George Earl

Default Plextor 12/10/32A doesn't like TDK 48x CD-Rs

My Plextor 12/10/32A (firmware 1.04) with Nero 5.5.7.8 that have had
absolutely no problems burning CD-Rs up till now are having problems
with a spindle of TDK 48x that I bought. I've burned 3 coasters out of
nine tries. When I went looking for other blank media to try I noticed
that everything now is 48x and I'm wondering if this might be part of
my problem since my Plextor is only a 12x. The Plextor firmware is up
to 1.10 and Nero is up to 5.5.10.54 - is it worth updating either of
these to see if they will help?

George

Old November 25th 03, 04:55 AM
Indiana

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:18:38 -0500, George Earl
wrote:

My Plextor 12/10/32A (firmware 1.04) with Nero 5.5.7.8 that have had
absolutely no problems burning CD-Rs up till now are having problems
with a spindle of TDK 48x that I bought. I've burned 3 coasters out of
nine tries. When I went looking for other blank media to try I noticed
that everything now is 48x and I'm wondering if this might be part of
my problem since my Plextor is only a 12x. The Plextor firmware is up
to 1.10 and Nero is up to 5.5.10.54 - is it worth updating either of
these to see if they will help?

Definitely update the firmware at the very least!

Old November 25th 03, 04:39 PM
George Earl

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:21:32 -0500, George Earl
wrote:

To the OP. My 12/10/32A burns Fuji 48x discs fine at it's 12x speed.
I have the TY Fuji's, not those from the new supplier.

You would think that the TDKs would work. Try another brand if you
can.

I forgot to ask - are you running on WinXP? Have you updated the
firmware on your 12/10/32A? Thanks!

George

Old November 25th 03, 06:27 PM
Mike Richter

George Earl wrote:
My Plextor 12/10/32A (firmware 1.04) with Nero 5.5.7.8 that have had
absolutely no problems burning CD-Rs up till now are having problems
with a spindle of TDK 48x that I bought. I've burned 3 coasters out of
nine tries. When I went looking for other blank media to try I noticed
that everything now is 48x and I'm wondering if this might be part of
my problem since my Plextor is only a 12x. The Plextor firmware is up
to 1.10 and Nero is up to 5.5.10.54 - is it worth updating either of
these to see if they will help?

Media optimized for high speeds often perform poorly at lower ones. Even
when you get good results, it's worth the effort to *measure* error rate
to be sure you are near the optimum and that the quality is good enough.

In this case, you may find that BrandX media work better for you since
they often cheat on the low side of claimed speed. Remember that the
drive cannot read the claims on the package; it only knows what it finds
in the ATIP, by calibration and by noticing *really* big errors.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old November 26th 03, 03:16 PM
James Perrett

George Earl wrote:

My Plextor 12/10/32A (firmware 1.04) with Nero 5.5.7.8 that have had
absolutely no problems burning CD-Rs up till now are having problems
with a spindle of TDK 48x that I bought. I've burned 3 coasters out of
nine tries. When I went looking for other blank media to try I noticed
that everything now is 48x and I'm wondering if this might be part of
my problem since my Plextor is only a 12x. The Plextor firmware is up
to 1.10 and Nero is up to 5.5.10.54 - is it worth updating either of
these to see if they will help?

George

Most TDK discs are now made by Ritek. Older Plextor's don't seem to like
some batches of Ritek discs much so I would advise trying a different
brand of disc. Recently I had a 100% success rate with one batch of
Ritek discs while only a 30% success rate with a slightly newer batch.

Cheers.

James.
Old November 26th 03, 04:05 PM
George Earl

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:16:09 +0000, James Perrett
wrote:

Most TDK discs are now made by Ritek. Older Plextor's don't seem to like
some batches of Ritek discs much so I would advise trying a different
brand of disc. Recently I had a 100% success rate with one batch of
Ritek discs while only a 30% success rate with a slightly newer batch.

Cheers.

James.

Thanks for your input. Yes, Nero CDSpeed says my TDKs are Riteks . . .
guess I'll follow your lead and look for another brand . . .

George

Old December 6th 03, 10:49 PM
Mike S.

In article ,
James Perrett wrote:
George Earl wrote:

My Plextor 12/10/32A (firmware 1.04) with Nero 5.5.7.8 that have had
absolutely no problems burning CD-Rs up till now are having problems
with a spindle of TDK 48x that I bought. I've burned 3 coasters out of
nine tries. When I went looking for other blank media to try I noticed
that everything now is 48x and I'm wondering if this might be part of
my problem since my Plextor is only a 12x. The Plextor firmware is up
to 1.10 and Nero is up to 5.5.10.54 - is it worth updating either of
these to see if they will help?

George

Most TDK discs are now made by Ritek. Older Plextor's don't seem to like
some batches of Ritek discs much so I would advise trying a different
brand of disc. Recently I had a 100% success rate with one batch of
Ritek discs while only a 30% success rate with a slightly newer batch.

I have the same drive with more recent (V1.09) firmware. It has no
problems writing error-free discs on the 48X TDK blanks; however, they ID
as being from CMC Magnetics, not Ritek.