DVD-RW's UNeraseable

Old November 15th 03, 09:42 AM
byteryder

Default DVD-RW's UNeraseable

Could anyone please tell me what I might have done wrong to make a
rewritable DVD-RW ... Unusable.

I wa experimenting trying to burn data files, MPG's etc onto a DVD-RW
in hopes of cleaning up my hard drives. I was using a brand new MSI
DR4-A burner and new Memorex DVD-RW disc. I used NERO 6 to burn a
couple files to it which seemed to work ok. Then I went to add several
more files and it came up with verification errors. I changed a couple
settings and tried again... same errors. I looked at tthe disk and the
rings were burned about a 1/4" from the outer edge. Figuring something
was wrong, I thought, I'd just erase it and start from scratch.

Nero comes back with an error saying something about illegal media. I
also tried it in BURN4FREE, which froze up. I've rebooted my system,
Killed any TSR's in the background, but still can't erase this disk...

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, (besides buying
MEMOREXgrin)???
Old November 15th 03, 02:22 PM
Dan G

DVDRW is just as troublesome as CDRW discs are. First thing is to remove any
packet writing software from your system. You can try erasing with
DVDInfo-pro, there's a free version available. I've found that sometimes if
you try erasing in a different burner it'll work, or try doing a quick-erase
vs. full-erase. Also, a reboot can help.
The Memorex -RW is often made by TDK, which is not good for all drives.

Old November 15th 03, 11:07 PM
Trev

"byteryder" wrote in message
[...]

Are you sure that you atempted to Erase the the disc and not Re formatt.
The latter is only for Packett writen disc. Erase from My Computer,
select drive with dvd in File In CD Erase.
Curent Memorex are Ricoh (Ritex)

Old November 16th 03, 04:22 PM
Lionel Carter

Doesn't answer your question directly but I have reclaimed all the CD
'coasters' created by Nero using DaviDeo2. This illustrates that one burner
may be able to salvage something that is claimed to be unreadable by
another. So don't believe the error messages.

Lionel Carter

Old November 16th 03, 05:15 PM
byteryder

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:07:35 -0000, "Trev"
wrote:

"byteryder" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No.... I was attempting to erase the disk. I don't have InCD installed
as I ran into problems years ago with PacketCd (I think it was
called), which does the same type of thing as InCD.