Problem with Lite-On LTC-48161H DVD/CD-ROM drive and CD-R/RWs

Old September 12th 03, 11:44 PM
Tom Kiefer

Default Problem with Lite-On LTC-48161H DVD/CD-ROM drive and CD-R/RWs

I'm having a problem with my new computer's Lite-On LTC-48161H
DVD/CD-ROM drive....

On the whole, it seems to work well for regular playing/reading
purposes. I've played a few purchased music CDs, and installed a few
programs from installation CDs, all with no problems.

However, the drive seems utterly unable to recognize the presence of a
CD-R or CD-RW disk, blank or otherwise. I've used three different
ways of trying to write to a CD-R in the drive -- the relevant Windows
XP wizard, Ahead Nero, and Windows Media Player 9 -- and while all can
find and recognize the drive, all insist that there is no media in the
drive, even though a blank CD-R or CD-RW is present.

The drive also does not recognize CD-Rs that have been previously
burned by another machine (such as the music CD my wife made and used
with her laptop's CD-RW drive).

I spent over an hour on the phone with my comptuer company's tech
support this morning, and while they were very patient and helpful, we
still have no idea what the problem is.

Any ideas?

- Tom Kiefer
thogek (at) earthlink . net
Old September 14th 03, 07:16 AM
Tom Kiefer

"Wanderer" wrote:
ASPI installed?
Latest KH0N firmware installed?

Unfortunately, being as clueless as I am on this subject, I have no idea how
to even check for these things.

- Tom Kiefer
thogek (at) earthlink . net

Old September 14th 03, 05:58 PM
Tom Kiefer

"Tom Kiefer" wrote:
I'm having a problem with my new computer's Lite-On LTC-48161H
DVD/CD-ROM drive....

On the whole, it seems to work well for regular playing/reading
purposes. I've played a few purchased music CDs, and installed a few
programs from installation CDs, all with no problems.

Correction: Some manufactured installation CDs don't work either. My
Lite-On LTC-48161H DVD/CD-ROM drive refuses to recognize the presence of any
content on my HP Deskjet 5550 printer software CD. :-(

Old September 15th 03, 12:49 AM
Tom Kiefer

I finally stumbled across the firmware version (or "Device Information"
"Revision") on my Lite-On LTC-48161H drive, and it is apparently KH0G.

Would this cause such an issue?

- Tom Kiefer
thogek (at) earthlink . net

Old September 15th 03, 01:04 AM
Tom Kiefer

Maybe not. I just installed firmware revision KH0N, and confirmed its
installation via the "Computer Management Storage Removable Storage
Libraries Lite-On Combo LTC-48161H Properties Device Information"
dialog tab. Unfortunately, this upgrade appears to have had no effect on
the drive or my current problems with it. :-(

- Tom Kiefer
thogek (at) earthlink . net