Audio to MP'3

Old August 28th 03, 06:02 PM
frank©

Default Audio to MP'3

Hi,
Could anybody tell me of a simple prog(Preferably free) that I could use
to rip tracks from music CD's and convert to MP'3. At present I have Windows
Media Player 9, but this only seems to convert to WMA format,
Thanx in advance for any answers.

Old August 28th 03, 06:09 PM
SleeperMan

typed:

Hi,
Could anybody tell me of a simple prog(Preferably free) that I
could use to rip tracks from music CD's and convert to MP'3. At
present I have Windows Media Player 9, but this only seems to convert
to WMA format,
Thanx in advance for any answers.

Winamp will do it with add-on mp3 plugin. Get ver 2.91, not 3 and that
plugin at
http://classic.winamp.com
Then select mp3 as output and play
Also i think CDex is also freeware and does it.

Old August 28th 03, 11:01 PM
Mystic Mitch

CD n' Go is another great program for converting CD tracks to Mp3.

http://www.cdngo.com/

Winamp will do it with add-on mp3 plugin. Get ver 2.91, not 3 and that
plugin at
http://classic.winamp.com
Then select mp3 as output and play
Also i think CDex is also freeware and does it.

yep.........CDex, great easy to use program........

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

Matt

Old August 29th 03, 02:21 AM
Michael Kelly

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:02:01 +0100, "frank©" wrote:

Hi,
Could anybody tell me of a simple prog(Preferably free) that I could use
to rip tracks from music CD's and convert to MP'3. At present I have Windows
Media Player 9, but this only seems to convert to WMA format,
Thanx in advance for any answers.

CD-DA X-Tractor is a good freeware. Supports both MP3 and
Ogg Vorbis:

http://xtractor.sourceforge.net/download.html

--

"A man's only as old as the woman he feels."

-- Groucho Marx
Old August 29th 03, 08:03 AM
Graham Mayor

If you want simple CDex is pretty good.
If you want competent - EAC with Lame encoder is better.

--

Graham Mayor

Old August 29th 03, 05:35 PM
SleeperMan

frank© wrote:
Hi,
Could anybody tell me of a simple prog(Preferably free) that I
could use to rip tracks from music CD's and convert to MP'3. At
present I have Windows Media Player 9, but this only seems to convert
to WMA format,
Thanx in advance for any answers.

Maybe do you know if any of these freeware is capable of recording from
computer - i mean you play a song with music notation program and record it
at the same time with another app... usefull for some progs which can't save
in MIDI or Wav format. Nativ sound recorder is usefull

Old August 30th 03, 06:09 AM
Mystic Mitch

What I am asking is : will I get better result by doing the MP3-to-WAV
conversion first?

I usually convert the Mp3s to WAVs first in Fuerio. This way, I can find
out right away if a certain Mp3 wasn't encoded correctly. It definately
makes it easier on me. I don't want to waste a blank disc on a bad burn
caused by a faulty Mp3 file.

Later,
- Mystic

Old August 30th 03, 09:48 AM
Graham Mayor

If you want the best audio quality, you shouldn't have converted to mp3 in
the first place.

Converting to WAV within the application or externally is likely to use the
same codec, so in terms of audio performance is not likely to make a
difference. Converting externally - dbpoweramp is still the most convenient
tool - does offer the advantage that if there is a problem with the mp3
file, that you will not discover this half way through the burn :-(

--

Graham Mayor

Chan WK wrote:
Slight change in topic.

If I want to convert MP3 back to audio disc, which app will give the
best result (in terms of audio quality)? Current I use Nero 6 and I
just drag the MP3 file directly into the compilation menu.