"Closing out a CD"-How?

Old August 20th 03, 01:44 AM
GMAN

In article , smh wrote:
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
( Reduced to living off the trash? )
( ... my thanks to Tim ... )

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

InCD writes only fixed-length packets.

===================
From: (GMAN) === Ex cRoxio/Acraptec Beta Tester
Date: 2/21/02

Why the F%^k are you using CDR's with UDF in the first place?

UDF and packet writing software were meant for CDRW to begin with.
===================

I warned you about using me or my posts in your rants.

You and your ISP will be receiving a cease and desist order soon.
Old August 20th 03, 04:35 AM
Den

wrote in message ...
We got it (for now!)
Roxio and Nero don't speak the same language! She had Roxio installed
and I have Nero on my PC.
I removed Roxio from her unit and installed Nero (InCD), including the
4.0 Easy read/write update from Neros site.
Now her PC can read *my* CDs, BUT, she can't read the CDs that she had
previously made, using Roxios software!!
What a bitch!
Well, thanks everyone for there help.
BN

You surprise me as I thought there was standards for CD-Writing.

Den

Old August 20th 03, 05:06 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
( Reduced to living off the trash? )
( ... my thanks to Tim ... )

Den wrote:

wrote...
We got it (for now!)
Roxio and Nero don't speak the same language! She had Roxio installed
and I have Nero on my PC.
I removed Roxio from her unit and installed Nero (InCD), including the
4.0 Easy read/write update from Neros site.
Now her PC can read *my* CDs, BUT, she can't read the CDs that she had
previously made, using Roxios software!!

You surprise me as I thought there was standards for CD-Writing.

There is UDF 1.50.

But:

From: smh
Subject: UDF/Packet Writing Compatibility: Need Your Feedback
Date: 3/6/03

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

As you now know, there is a standard for UDF, but not all "packet
writing" software complies with it.

How do softwares comply with the 'faulty' format, Mikey?

"the fault is not with the software but with the format"

(Any guess who spewed the above, Mikey?)

From: smh
Date: 3/6/03

Mike Richter (King Troll) wrote:

As you now know, there is a standard for UDF, but not all "packet
writing" software complies with it.

Is this what you get after DirectCD complied with the UDF standard,
Mikey?

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: DirectCD on a different computer won't recognize CD
Date: 3/2/03

S.V. Proff wrote:

I have Direct CD both at home and work. The other day I brought
home an "open" CD from work.

I discovered that my CDR at home won't recognize the CD
automatically.

If the two DCD versions are quite different, that may be enough.
======================

No kidding! DirectCD's are NOT compatible even to themselves!

---------------------
cRoxio - What a Joke!
---------------------

============================
"S.V. Proff" wrote (3/4/03):

I have version 5.20 at work and 5.01 at home of the Roxio project
manager. I guess they must not be compatible...

5.20 and 5.01 ???!!!

Guess that's what Mikey meant by if two DCD versions are "quite
different".

That's some "quite different" for sure!
============================

Old August 20th 03, 07:00 AM
Den

"smh" wrote in message ...

snip
Den wrote:

wrote...
We got it (for now!)
Roxio and Nero don't speak the same language! She had Roxio installed
and I have Nero on my PC.
I removed Roxio from her unit and installed Nero (InCD), including the
4.0 Easy read/write update from Neros site.
Now her PC can read *my* CDs, BUT, she can't read the CDs that she had
previously made, using Roxios software!!

You surprise me as I thought there was standards for CD-Writing.

There is UDF 1.50.

But:

I have no wish to get involved with any NG slanging match,
but would like a straight answer, if Nero & Roxio are not
compatible, then I have no choice, but to stick with what I have.

As I am quite willing to try them both, but if this will lead to
problems reading them later, Then I will stick to what I have
at the moment.

Den

Old August 20th 03, 07:36 AM
smh

Den wrote:
"smh" wrote...
Den wrote:

[...]

Hope you find this one easier to comprehend:

Mike Webb (James Dad):

"it's not just versions of DirectCD that don't talk to each other."

Mike Webb:

"is there a different packet-writing program that can read
a DirectCD-compatible UDF CD-RW?"

smh:

"Tell me, how could there be DCD-compatibles
when DCD are not compatible between themselves?"

Old August 20th 03, 06:43 PM
Dr Ratt

wrote in message
Thanks for your replies.
Yes, I have been reading a lot about Nero problems here. This is the
software that I received with my CD driver.
Would you recommend "Roxio" or some other software rather then Nero? I
would be glad to try it, I'm not at all familiar with CD "burning". But
I would like to, at least, have something reliable to use for saving
files and favorites and pictures on.
Is there any free Roxio software around, or do I need to purchase?
Thanks again
BN

no, i'd suggest not using incd/directcd at all. packet writing is inherently
unstable and flaky regardless of the software. if you like rewriteable
discs, erase them then write to them like a normal cdr - never format them.

Old August 20th 03, 08:22 PM
smh

--------------------------------------

Dr Ratt wrote:

no, i'd suggest not using incd/directcd at all. packet writing is inherently
unstable and flaky regardless of the software.

Wherever did you get the *inherently* flaky idea?

The supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile, faulty, unreliable packet
"format" was good enough for BACKUP, of all things, even when combined
with the supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile, forgetful, unreliable
cd-rw media -- according to none other than the Trolliness Mikey Richter
(King Troll):

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Subject: A note on Take Two
Date: 9/1/99

You may back up ...to a DCD-formatted erasable.
=====================

But then again:

=====================================
Mike Richter & "Lethal for archiving"
=====================================

( The following applies only to )
( DirectCD and Drag-to-Disc )

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: File Integrity Errors - DirectCD Bug?
Date: 10/15/01

Combining the flaky UDF fixed-length packets with
the tendency of erasables (particularly HS) to forget
is LETHAL for archiving.
=====================

Note 1:
Mikey's (9/1/99) post was when IT was shilling Take Two, supposedly a
backup softwre, as the Second Coming.

Note 2:
Mikey's (10/15/01) post was when the DirectCD bugs were pouring in.

Note 3:
DirectCD and Drag-to-Disc have no warning whatsoever about using cd-rw
media.

Note 4:
cRoxio made Take Two "tightly coupled" to DirectCD.

Note 5:
Mikey was touting Take Two's feature of writing directly to DirectCD
disc, for backup, of all things, while belittling Ghost and Drive Image
for lacking the very functionality:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Subject: Backups
Date: 9/24/99

... Ghost and Drive Image require another partition to which
to write the image which you can then write to CD-R.

Take Two writes directly to drives supported by Direct CD
=====================

Old August 21st 03, 01:39 AM

Hi Dr. Ratt
Yes, if that can be done (not using ANY software!) then I think that
would be the way to go! The Nero software come with my CD-RW drive, that
is why I thought that it was needed. (No, I don't have my "stuff"
together yet, on all this.)
Thanks again.
BN

Old August 21st 03, 07:30 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
( Reduced to living off the trash? )
( ... my thanks to Tim ... )

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

Care to respond to this now, Timmy?

=======================
From: "ned ludd"
Subject: Older CD-RWs
Date: 10/19/02

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

"smh" wrote:

Why does Mike Richter really not use Re-Writables?

The media of course *proved* to be unreliable over time.

*Only* in his Plextor. It's wild extrapolation to suggest that there is
some innate problem with burning LS media in a HS drive based on this
experience and newsgroup noise, most of which relates to one brand of
(presumably low quality) media. You and Mike may possess psychic
newsreaders which are capable of accurately divining whether we are
dealing with the disgruntled minority (if that defence is good enough
for EZCD/DCD, why is this any different?) who can't burn RW reliably or
whether this really is a widespread problem, but I remain wary of trying
to draw conclusions from newsgroup noise.

Still waiting for my HS burned LS media to show any signs of fading,
some of it approaching 2 years old. Not that I'd use it for storing
anything I couldn't afford to lose.

The only RW media that has given me any cause for concern is TDK HS
(Plasmon) which when formatted for InCD rebooted the computer most times
it was loaded in the writer.

=======================
From: "ned ludd"
Date: 10/21/02

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

It's the same repeated NG 'noise' as you call it what DOCUMENTS CDRW
data loss as a widespread problem.

Failure to write or format the discs in the first place seems to be at
least as much of a problem as data loss.

Widespread in the context of this newsgroup perhaps. How representative
of the 50-60 million writers produced each year the problem is, remains
far from clear to me, if not to you. Hardware newsgroup are littered
with complaints about dead hard drives, crap motherboards, in years past
Zip drives with the click of death and so on, in all cases it's a
vociferous minority which gives rise to the impression of a more
widespread problem. Even when there was an acknowledged problem - Zip
drives, the numbers involved amounted to little more than 1% of
production. Is that your idea of widespread?

In the days when EZCD/DCD was bundled with most writers this newsgroup
was full of complaints about that software, yet these were dismissed as
the complaints of a disgruntled minority. Not for the first time, what's
different here apart from your (2nd hand) prejudices?

Pay attention; we read about it nearly every day...

not unless my newsreader is missing posts, very few in the last few
months.

You're the one not paying attention. Mike's is one of the few (or
possibly the only) case of good quality media fading documented here.
The rest are almost always Memorex, THAT's what is documented. If you
combine very ordinary media with writers of similarly poor RW ability
you obviously can have problems, and those problems existed before HS
writers arrived on the scene. What's also been documented here is that
some Teac, Plextor IDE and other HS writers can burn even these discs
well. There have also been reports of HS media failing to write or
format.

Just because it hasn't happened to you yet does not
mean it doesn't exist...

And just because it happened to Mike doesn't mean that it's nearly
universal or even 'widespread'.

Mike changed his tune publicly when he
personally experienced CDRW data 'fade'; will you if it occurs?

Don't hold your breath waiting g, my testing seems to indicate a
lifespan of several years at least, and that's long enough for my needs.
And if I do see fade it may well be that the burner is on its way out.

[ No Response from Timmy ]