Basic Computer - Recommendations?

Old December 15th 04, 03:35 AM
Harry

Default Basic Computer - Recommendations?

I need to assemble a couple of basic computers to replace some aging
ones. I would like to run Win98SE on these because that is the OS on
the old machines, the users are familiar with Win98, and I wouldn't
have to purchase a new OS.

The computers will be used as follows:
- email
- web browsing
- basic word processing (MS Works)
- light graphics
- playing music CDs
- one machine will connect to the 'net via a LAN
- other machine will connect to the 'net via a modem

I suspect a mobo which has onboard video, audio, and 10/100 LAN
hardware would help reduce costs. I'm assuming that 256MB RAM would be
adequate. What might be the best bang for the buck? Recommendations
for either a bare bones system or just a mobo and processor would be
most appreciated.

TIA,
Harry
Old December 15th 04, 04:05 AM
John R Weiss

Harry" wrote...

The computers will be used as follows:
- email
- web browsing
- basic word processing (MS Works)
- light graphics
- playing music CDs
- one machine will connect to the 'net via a LAN
- other machine will connect to the 'net via a modem

What might be the best bang for the buck?

The cheapest you can find. You have no high-power demands, so cost is the ONLY
factor here!

Old December 15th 04, 04:19 AM
Mac Cool

Harry:

Recommendations

http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/...e-200411.ars/2
--
Mac Cool
Old December 15th 04, 05:42 AM
BigJIm

without a monitor you could probably be looking at something like a
athlon xp 2200, with onboard everything and 256 megs of ram for under 300
dollars.
no operating system and that should include a dvd cdrom player. shop around

Old December 15th 04, 12:59 PM
Matt

Harry wrote:
I need to assemble a couple of basic computers to replace some aging
ones. I would like to run Win98SE on these because that is the OS on
the old machines, the users are familiar with Win98, and I wouldn't
have to purchase a new OS.

The computers will be used as follows:
- email
- web browsing
- basic word processing (MS Works)
- light graphics
- playing music CDs
- one machine will connect to the 'net via a LAN
- other machine will connect to the 'net via a modem

Linux would be a free and legal possibility for the OS. I would
recommend you give it a try if you are so inclined. Fedora is one of
the best Linuxes.
Old December 15th 04, 03:01 PM
patrick

John R Weiss wrote:
Harry" wrote...

The computers will be used as follows:
- email
- web browsing
- basic word processing (MS Works)
- light graphics
- playing music CDs
- one machine will connect to the 'net via a LAN
- other machine will connect to the 'net via a modem

What might be the best bang for the buck?

The cheapest you can find. You have no high-power demands, so cost is the ONLY
factor here!

Pick a FREE, LiveCD distro, that runs from the CDrom, in RAM, and can
write and save files to a FAT32 partition on the small hardrive! My
favorite is Knoppix, but her are all 190 versions!

FREE advice, 24/7/365, from 672 Linux Users Groups (probably one nearby
you!) many host Installfests, http://lugww.counter.li.org

Computers under $198...
many, many, vendors of new, used, open box, refurbished, and etc.,
stuff! Comparison listings of sales, item by item!
http://www.pricewatch.com/

Used systems for $29.00 and up!
http://www.isellsurplus.com/

Check out the ratings of vendors at http://resellerratings.com
Old December 16th 04, 08:35 PM
Pat Coghlan

Can one even BUY a computer loaded with Win98 any more? Even Dell has
stopped shipping with Win2K now, I believe.

I'd get their okay to get WinXP Home Edition machines and go with that.

-Pat

Old December 17th 04, 12:43 AM
Harry

Harry wrote:
[...]

One of the users is my father who is in his mid to late 70's. He has
had his present computer for 6 years and is reasonably comfortable
with his present OS. I have discovered no advantage that XP offers
him, so why would I subject him to something new? Besides, recycling
the "old" OS saves money.

Harry
Old December 17th 04, 02:45 AM
Mac Cool

Harry:

One of the users is my father who is in his mid to late 70's. He has
had his present computer for 6 years and is reasonably comfortable
with his present OS. I have discovered no advantage that XP offers
him, so why would I subject him to something new? Besides, recycling
the "old" OS saves money.

If he likes it and isn't very computer literate and wants to keep it then
that's what I would do; however XP offers many advantages over 98, not the
least of which is stability and security. Just something to think about.
--
Mac Cool
Old December 17th 04, 07:24 AM
Al Smith

One of the users is my father who is in his mid to late 70's. He has
had his present computer for 6 years and is reasonably comfortable
with his present OS. I have discovered no advantage that XP offers
him, so why would I subject him to something new? Besides, recycling
the "old" OS saves money.

Harry

My thinking on OS upgrades is, why wait until technology pushes
you off the cliff? Better to jump yourself, and that way you can
position yourself to avoid the rocks and land in the water.

I was perfectly happy with Windows 98, just like your father. Even
so, I upgraded to Windows XP. It caused me some minor problems.
For example, I will have to buy a new printer, because Hewlett
Packard refuses to write new drivers for its older printers under
XP, and the driver supplied by Microsoft sucks. Am I sorry I
upgraded? No, because there is *no way* to avoid it. Upgrading the
OS is just a question of when, it's not a question of if.