Clicking noise on a dead hard drive

Old May 10th 04, 08:44 PM
TJM

Default Clicking noise on a dead hard drive

One of my Maxtor 160GB drives just crapped out on me. When I boot up the
PC, all I can hear is a repetitive clicking noise coming from the drive.

What is this clicking? Does it mean serious damage with no hope of repair,
or something that be easily fixed? The drive is still covered under
warranty.

What causes hard drives to fail? I had a thermistor attached to this drive
and it never got above 100F. Maybe a weird surge in the power supply?

Old May 10th 04, 09:56 PM
Paul

The only mention of "clicking" coming from a hard drive like that in
regards to hard drives I've ever heard about is the notorious "click of
death", for whatever it's worth.

And yes, a power surge can damage a hard drive.

Old May 11th 04, 12:11 AM
DaveW

Unfortunately Maxtor's have a higher than average failure rate. Might I
recommend getting a WD. And, no, the clicking slound is not something
that's easily fixed.

--
DaveW

Old May 11th 04, 01:00 AM
BP

"Paul" wrote in message
The only mention of "clicking" coming from a hard drive like that in
regards to hard drives I've ever heard about is the notorious "click of
death", for whatever it's worth.

And yes, a power surge can damage a hard drive.

The "click of death" normally refered to Zip drives for years. You'd hear
the clicks of death shortly before the drive failed.
I've heard HDs click when the spindle arm hits the side of the casing when
the last partition is too large when formatting. I bet the spindle arm has
"come off the rails".

Old May 11th 04, 07:20 PM

I had the same problem with a Maxtor, still under warantee. I took
the HD out and replaced it. The next day I called Maxtor Tech
Support, and he said he had to hear the clicking before I could send
it back. So I reinstalled it, turned PC on and it worked just fine.

BG

Old May 12th 04, 02:04 AM
~Aart

tap it with a screw driver handle a few times.

Old May 14th 04, 08:11 PM
Rick Maninov

"~Aart" wrote in message
tap it with a screw driver handle a few times.

or stick it in the freezer overnight.

backing up HDD Christo General 15 November 12th 04 11:50 AM
hard drive noise Roscoe Pendoscoe General 7 April 27th 04 03:58 AM
Clicking Sound From Hard Drive NoSpam General 1 April 9th 04 01:04 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Can a hard disk shrink? Or did ****USA steal my HD? George L. Homebuilt PC's 93 October 20th 03 06:43 PM