Computer keeps freezing...

Old January 14th 08, 02:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
AlphaOmega[_2_]

Default Computer keeps freezing...

Hullo all,

My Compaq keeps freezing on me and can only be restarted by pushing
the power button. I mean, if you use the computer constantly it works
fine, but if you let it sit unattended it freezes in about 10 minutes.

Why it do dis?

Can anyone helps me?

Thanks.
Old January 14th 08, 03:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Lacking further detail about the model of computer the version of software
running, I would hazard a guess that its power management settings in the BIOS
or in the operating system (Windows maybe?) are incorrect for some reason.

.... Ben Myers

Old January 14th 08, 04:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
AlphaOmega[_2_]

On Jan 14, 9:09 am, Ben Myers
wrote:
Lacking further detail about the model of computer the version of software
running, I would hazard a guess that its power management settings in the BIOS
or in the operating system (Windows maybe?) are incorrect for some reason.

... Ben Myers

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 05:38:21 -0800 (PST), AlphaOmega wrote:
Hullo all,

My Compaq keeps freezing on me and can only be restarted by pushing
the power button. I mean, if you use the computer constantly it works
fine, but if you let it sit unattended it freezes in about 10 minutes.

Why it do dis?

Can anyone helps me?

Thanks.

Wellllll... Its a HP Pavilion A320N Running Windows XP 512 memory.
Old January 14th 08, 05:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

I would check the power-saving options in the BIOS. The usual, best and most
modern setting is S3. The go to Control Panel and click the Power Options icon
and look at the Power Schemes. You may have to modify a Power Scheme to get
the computer to behave as you want it. This may be a process of
trial-and-error.

Install any and all critical Windows XP updates. I'm sure that Microsoft
tweaked the power schemes somewhere along the way between the 2001 classic XP
and today... Ben Myers

Old January 14th 08, 05:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
AlphaOmega[_2_]

wrote:
Lacking further detail about the model of computer the version of software
running, I would hazard a guess that its power management settings in the BIOS
or in the operating system (Windows maybe?) are incorrect for some reason.

... Ben Myers

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 05:38:21 -0800 (PST), AlphaOmega wrote:
Hullo all,

My Compaq keeps freezing on me and can only be restarted by pushing
the power button. I mean, if you use the computer constantly it works
fine, but if you let it sit unattended it freezes in about 10 minutes.

Why it do dis?

Can anyone helps me?

Thanks.

Wellllll... Its a HP Pavilion A320N Running Windows XP 512 memory.

Thanks, I will try your suggestions. And if it don't work it will be
dismantled and disposed of.
Old January 14th 08, 08:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

My guess is that using an "Always On" power scheme will work. In other words,
leave the hard drive on all the time, do not allow the system to go into sleep
or hibernation mode, etc. That's the extreme setting that should stop a system
from going into some sort of deep sleep without any possibility of waking again.
And if THAT does not fix it, something is very likely wrong with the hardware.

.... Ben Myers

Old January 14th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Colin Wilson

Thanks, I will try your suggestions. And if it don't work it will be
dismantled and disposed of.

No need to dispose of it just yet - there are a couple of other things
to try too, to help determine whether it's a software or hardware
issue.

a) try a live linux CD, and see if it keels over as often

b) is the CPU fan actually spinning ?

c) unplug and replug every "major" connection on the motherboard - the
contacts shouldn't oxidise, but if it's just a crap connection, this
might sort it

d) run memtest86 on it (there are two variants from competing
suppliers, one of whom has a paid-for version available too) - you can
usually tell within a few seconds if the memory is flaky !

For strange hardware problems / lock-ups, (d) might be a smart first
choice :-)
Old January 14th 08, 09:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
AlphaOmega[_2_]

On Jan 14, 2:42 pm, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
Thanks, I will try your suggestions. And if it don't work it will be
dismantled and disposed of.

No need to dispose of it just yet - there are a couple of other things
to try too, to help determine whether it's a software or hardware
issue.

a) try a live linux CD, and see if it keels over as often

b) is the CPU fan actually spinning ?

c) unplug and replug every "major" connection on the motherboard - the
contacts shouldn't oxidise, but if it's just a crap connection, this
might sort it

d) run memtest86 on it (there are two variants from competing
suppliers, one of whom has a paid-for version available too) - you can
usually tell within a few seconds if the memory is flaky !

For strange hardware problems / lock-ups, (d) might be a smart first
choice :-)

a) no

b) yes

c) done

d) big hassle to get to work, easier to just smash computer.
Old January 14th 08, 09:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
AlphaOmega[_2_]

wrote:
Lacking further detail about the model of computer the version of software
running, I would hazard a guess that its power management settings in the BIOS
or in the operating system (Windows maybe?) are incorrect for some reason.

... Ben Myers

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 05:38:21 -0800 (PST), AlphaOmega wrote:
Hullo all,

My Compaq keeps freezing on me and can only be restarted by pushing
the power button. I mean, if you use the computer constantly it works
fine, but if you let it sit unattended it freezes in about 10 minutes.

Why it do dis?

Can anyone helps me?

Thanks.

Wellllll... Its a HP Pavilion A320N Running Windows XP 512 memory.

Thanks, I will try your suggestions. And if it don't work it will be
dismantled and disposed of.

Tried that and still no luck.
Thanks anyway guys.
Old January 15th 08, 12:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Is the CPU fan spinning fast enough? Are the CPU fan clear of all dust and
debris?

Instead of smashing the computer, drop it off here (Harvard, MA) if you are
nearby, or I can pick it up, or donate it to a charity as-is with an explanation
of what is wrong... Ben Myers

Computer freezing utbigred General 1 January 13th 07 01:15 AM
Computer freezing Davy General 0 January 13th 07 12:41 AM
Computer keeps freezing! Co-Show Dell Computers 6 January 2nd 05 12:54 PM
Computer freezing up M Jones General 8 March 26th 04 10:42 PM
Computer freezing.... Mickey Dell Computers 2 November 16th 03 12:28 AM