SFRAM memory chip - following previous post below

Old December 6th 08, 06:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
poachedeggs

Default SFRAM memory chip - following previous post below

Hello again. With the RAM replaced, and tests checking out, the
Compaq is working fine and I'm sure noticeably smoother. I just
wanted, though, to check something about the RAM I was sent. It says
SFRAM - usually it's SDRAM isn't it? Is this okay? The chip is about
1/8 of an inch bigger but not in any inconvenient direction, but
everything else written on the chip is as SDRAM, I think. No beep
errors occured, and I checked the new (Samsung) chip alone with the
Hyundai original temporarily removed.

Thanks.

Old December 6th 08, 11:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
poachedeggs

Also, if you have any idea about the 2nd half of this enquiry (the
fonts bit, as the icons problem is solved), again many thanks:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...f26f2e6fc05c20

Lee

Old December 7th 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
poachedeggs

Oh, I see SFRAM is a "lower-cost alternative" that's "almost as
good". Hopefully there's not a lot of difference in it - especially
on an 8 year-old pc running the current Firefox, Flashplayer and
OpenOffice - as I can't be bothered to return it again, heh.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...e_thread/threa...

Lee

On Dec 6, 5:31*pm, poachedeggs wrote:

Hello again. *With the RAM replaced, and tests checking out, the
Compaq is working fine and I'm sure noticeably smoother. *I just
wanted, though, to check something about the RAM I was sent. *It says
SFRAM - usually it's SDRAM isn't it? *Is this okay? *The chip is about
1/8 of an inch bigger but not in any inconvenient direction, but
everything else written on the chip is as SDRAM, I think. *No beep
errors occured, and I checked the new (Samsung) chip alone with the
Hyundai original temporarily removed.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Old December 8th 08, 02:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Hello again. With the RAM replaced, and tests checking out, the
Compaq is working fine and I'm sure noticeably smoother. I just
wanted, though, to check something about the RAM I was sent. It says
SFRAM - usually it's SDRAM isn't it? Is this okay?

I've never heard of SFRAM...and Google was short on relevant hits. As best I
can tell, SFRAM is a type of nonvolatile memory, comparable to SRAM (static
RAM, or memory that holds its contents when power is shut off).

If anything, that would make it a "better" grade of product, as SRAM is
typically much more expensive than conventional DRAM (dynamic RAM) which
does not hold its contents for very long after losing power.

I would not give it a second thought if your Compaq computer seems to
operate normally *and* if it can pass the Memtest program after running for
several hours...possibly overnight.

William