AMD 64 3200 2.2GHz

Old October 31st 04, 08:56 PM
Tim923

Default AMD 64 3200 2.2GHz

Is this faster than a Pentium 2 equivalent at 3.2GHZ?

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.

Old October 31st 04, 11:52 PM
Tim923

You got a P2 that is 3.2g?

I was told by a salesman that an AMD 64-bit processor 3200 2.2GHz is
actually faster than many PCs in the 2.8-3.4GHz range because it
processes information more efficiently. If this is so, how do I
compare speed?

I thought he described one computer as being equivalent to a P2
running at 3.2GHz, but maybe I misheard him.

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.
Old November 1st 04, 08:33 AM
Gojira

He must have said a P4.As for the speed of the Athlon64 CPU's,they are
faster than Intels.Because of the way they process information,you can't go
by the old standard of measuring by GHz.In tests done with Doom3,the most
demanding game out there,both in graphics and cpu's,AMD's took all the top
spots.The 3200 outperformed the P4 3.2..It might even outdo a standard
3.4,and be close to the Extreme Edition 3.4,which cost hundreds more than
the standard model.

Old November 3rd 04, 07:36 PM
David Efflandt

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:56:36 GMT, Tim923 wrote:
Is this faster than a Pentium 2 equivalent at 3.2GHZ?

I have an Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0GHz) at home and 3.2 GHz P4 with
hyperthreading at work (both w/PC3200 RAM). While the P4 scores somewhat
better on processing (dual-channel RAM), the AMD64 did better on graphic
benchmarks with the same video card. But gaming for my AMD 64 so far is
not cpu limited, because if I bump it up 10% (2.2 GHz and 440 RAM) it
makes no difference in Doom3 (128 MB GeForce 6800 1280x1024 60 fps).