Anyone have a Presario S5400NX?

Old January 17th 04, 02:36 AM
Alan

Default Anyone have a Presario S5400NX?

Hi.

Subject says it all....anyone else have one?
What do you think of it?

I added a second hard disk...replaced the HP DVD-writer with my
Pioneer A06...replaced the CD reader with my Plextor CD-writer, added
my Audigy 2 soundcard, and a Geforce 3 Ti200. I am disappointed that
the 120 Gig drive is 5400 RPM, but that too is replacable is need be
(and I noticed the difference copying a CD....Nero reported 26 buffer
under-runs which would have killed my copying a CD if not for
Plextor's Burn-proof...NEVER had that problem with my P3-800 MHz with
my 7200 RPM hard-disk...and I DO defrag with Diskkeeper).

Has anyone reformatted the hard disk and gotten rid of that "D"
partition with the recovery stuff on it? I have a licensed copy of
Windows XP...can I simply reformat, reclaim the entire 120G, and
install my Windows XP? I really don't care about most of the Compaq
software except for Microsoft Works....wish they would have given me a
CD for that.

Al

-- Remove "AT" and "DOT" in email address to reply.
Old January 17th 04, 09:12 AM
David

Al-
How hot are your HD's running? It's a tight squeeze in there! I've been
thinking of adding a 2nd HD to my Evo D310 (same basic case layout as yours)
but I'm worried that they will run too hot. My 160GB 7200rpm drive runs
about 34 degrees C by itself in the bottom bay.
-David
BTW I think there should be a utility on your Presario that will create a
set of recovery CDs.

"Alan" wrote in message
news
Hi.

Subject says it all....anyone else have one?

Old January 17th 04, 09:46 AM
Trai' La Trash

Alan wrote:
Hi.

Subject says it all....anyone else have one?
[...]

Hi Al
Your on your way to a nice machine once you get rid of the Compaq stuff
that's left. grin
First take the plextor and put it as the slave on the first hard drive and
the other cd as the slave on the second hard drive and this should help
reduce or stop the buffer underuns.
Buffer help http://www.mp3-cdburner.com/MP3-Buffer-Underrun.shtml
http://www.plextor.be/english/pdf/PlextorBurnproof.pdf
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/FAQ/List_Categories.asp

Updates 4 your unit (the pc that is)
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwar...etype=software

Go to CompUSA and get partition magic it works well.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
I just took the partition off my brothers pc with no ill effect. Basically
the only thing there is a copy of all the crud Compaq has installed and you
have it on CD anyway.

Trai'