DVD+R 4X

Old September 24th 03, 01:52 PM
David Carmichael

Default DVD+R 4X

A week ago my local 'CompUSA' has some DVD+R discs on sale.

The packaging stated that they will only work in a '4X' burner.

Are DVD+ media not backwards compatible like CDR media?

--David
Old September 24th 03, 05:38 PM
Dan G

Many 2.4x burners require a firmware update to use the 4x media, but the
media itself is fully compatible.
I assume you refer to the Memorex DVD+R, it appears to made by Ricoh, and is
very good media.

igy.com...

Old September 24th 03, 05:38 PM
Jens Fangmeier

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:52:09 GMT, "David Carmichael"
wrote:

A week ago my local 'CompUSA' has some DVD+R discs on sale.

The packaging stated that they will only work in a '4X' burner.

Are DVD+ media not backwards compatible like CDR media?

In general, they are backwards compatible.

But sometimes it happends, that older dvd-burner do not handle new
(higher-speed) media correctly.
Most time that could be fixed with a firmware-update (see e.g. pioneer
burners) - but if the vendor of the burner does not offer a corrected
firmware, this CAN by a problem.

Tschau, Jens

--
Jens Fangmeier *
http://www.feurio.de: Feurio! - The program for audio-CDs
Old September 24th 03, 06:34 PM
David Carmichael

Well if it was not due to other users 'NET SUPPORT' I might of
been SOL.. as the retailer of my NEC drive has folded and NEC
does not support my [or as far as I can tell] any of there
DVD+/-R drives directly to the retail buyer..

Old September 24th 03, 10:47 PM
Trev

"David Carmichael" wrote in message
. ..
"Jens Fangmeier" wrote in message
| On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:52:09 GMT, "David Carmichael"
| wrote:
| Jens Fangmeier *

http://www.feurio.de: Feurio! - The program for audio-CDs
| http://shop.feurio.de: Feurio! Shop - über 200 CD- und
DVD-Rohlinge
| http://www.schwarze.cd: CD-Rohlinge mit schwarzer Schreibseite

My NEC 1000 will work ok with Richo 4x Dvd+R