Why has there never been 3.5" drive-bay-mounted USB-2 passthroughconnector?

Old July 22nd 14, 06:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

Default Why has there never been 3.5" drive-bay-mounted USB-2 passthrough connector?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 22:07:24 -0400, Paul wrote:

Loren Pechtel wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 22:40:12 -0400, PC Guy "PC"@Guy .com wrote:

Again, if I want to make use of my motherboards many on-board USB ports
(the ports that are not brought out through the back edge of the board
and accessible through the interface shield) then why on earth has
nobody made a god-damn simple and USEFUL item like a drive-bay mounted
panel-mount cable and connector set?

Look at Front-X's stuff. I'm a happy user but they only provide a
5.25" offering.

They seem to be frozen in time.
No USB3, no 3.5" stuff.

Still, they're the only example of their
kind that I know of.

I hadn't thought of it as frozen in time but you're right. They
haven't updated their line in ages.

Why do so many good products die of neglect?
Old July 22nd 14, 08:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Loren Pechtel wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 22:40:12 -0400, PC Guy "PC"@Guy .com wrote:

Again, if I want to make use of my motherboards many on-board USB ports
(the ports that are not brought out through the back edge of the board
and accessible through the interface shield) then why on earth has
nobody made a god-damn simple and USEFUL item like a drive-bay mounted
panel-mount cable and connector set?
Look at Front-X's stuff. I'm a happy user but they only provide a
5.25" offering.

They seem to be frozen in time.
No USB3, no 3.5" stuff.

Still, they're the only example of their
kind that I know of.

I hadn't thought of it as frozen in time but you're right. They
haven't updated their line in ages.

Why do so many good products die of neglect?

Same thing with BIOS Savior.

And that outfit that used to make adapter
kits for S370 to slocket.

There were some opportunities to adapt newer
processors (with quad pumped bus) to older
sockets, but nobody attempted to do it. In
theory, you could have adapted some LGA775 processors
to S478. But nobody seemed to be interested.

Paul